Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPKeaton View Post
    Well so much for that idea.

There's a Sleep Number store not too far away, so we took a drive over to see what they have to offer. Our salesman was very professional. He has us choose pillows to our liking and has us lay down on the base model C2, during which we determine our sleep numbers and look at some computer generated images showing pressure points before and after setting the sleep number etc... We (and by we I mean she) starts walking around the displays, and immediately finds the top of the line everything included model and hops on it. Now to be fair, it was amazing. Everything was adjustable, feet, head, massage, hot, cold, and of course the sleep number itself. And everything could be individualized side by side.

$9700.

$9700.

$9700.

And now of course, anything else we tried felt like a bed of nails, even though it may be 1000% better than what we sleep on now.

I am not spending $9700 on a bed, and she didn't want to try anything else in the store for more than a minute because there was such a difference. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't pushing me to buy it (she knows that is WAY out of our budget for a bed) but she didn't want to "settle" for something less right now.
    Looks like they got your number.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

To be fair, we do spend a large of our lives in bed. So the $$$ really should be looked at in perspective.
    I promise I won't do it again

Sleep Number: I used to sleep on one during my first marriage. It worked great, but it was 10 years old. When the air bags got a little mildew, they replaced them immediately, no questions asked, 8 or so years past the warranty. Ordered a second one for her parents, the pump was DOA, they overnighted a new pump with a ton of apologies and no cost to us whatsoever. Great service!

As for Sleep Number vs Memory foam, I've been on Memory Foam since the divorce 4 years ago and I'm over it. It sags. It has a permanent very slight sag all the time, but it sags badly after 2 or 3 minutes of laying on it, and creates a valley that I end up rolling into eventually. We literally now refer to sections of the bed as the high country and death valley - the middle where no one sleeps is still firm and high, the two sleeping areas are saggy. I'm strongly considering going back to either springs or sleep number if I can get a good deal on a king.
    "What's so funny about peace , love and understanding?" - Elvis Costello

$9700 for a bed. Wow. That's a huge price to pay. We spend a ton of time in bed, so I do believe in spending a fair amount and making sure you have a good bed, but there must surely be a better solution than that.

You could also look at "Personal Comfort" beds as a lower cost alternative to Sleep Number. Seem to get good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Comfo...4PVAHCFE89782S

or

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Comfo...65X1MC2DG3S2J6

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPKeaton View Post
    Well so much for that idea.

There's a Sleep Number store not too far away, so we took a drive over to see what they have to offer. Our salesman was very professional. He has us choose pillows to our liking and has us lay down on the base model C2, during which we determine our sleep numbers and look at some computer generated images showing pressure points before and after setting the sleep number etc... We (and by we I mean she) starts walking around the displays, and immediately finds the top of the line everything included model and hops on it. Now to be fair, it was amazing. Everything was adjustable, feet, head, massage, hot, cold, and of course the sleep number itself. And everything could be individualized side by side.

$9700.

$9700.

$9700.

And now of course, anything else we tried felt like a bed of nails, even though it may be 1000% better than what we sleep on now.

I am not spending $9700 on a bed, and she didn't want to try anything else in the store for more than a minute because there was such a difference. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't pushing me to buy it (she knows that is WAY out of our budget for a bed) but she didn't want to "settle" for something less right now.
    Did you try all the other Sleep Number models? Because $9700 is their absolute top of the line, but they have adjustable sleep number beds in king starting at under $2000. They just aren't massaging, memory foam topped, etc. But they all still have dual adjustable firmness.

http://www.sleepnumber.com/sn/en/compareBedsResults

Quote Originally Posted by ForWhoForWhat? View Post
    Had one at a hotel. Meh. It was a bed.
    EXACTLY.

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    To be fair, we do spend a large of our lives in bed. So the $$$ really should be looked at in perspective.
    I thought this way until I spent $2,200 on a good mattress we tested at the store and everything...2 years later I wish I'd just gone to Costco and bought a $800 mattress.

I have tried every kind of bed there is...at the end of the day..it's still a bed. I'll never be 100% comfortable in a bed or get a PERFECT night's sleep...in fact...I have not gotten a perfect night's sleep since 2007. In 07' I stopped at my Grandmother-In-Law's home in Dallas TX....after driving the whole day from Alabama...she had this old mattress...super soft....and I took a hot shower...then got into bed...and was OUT within seconds...woke up 8 hours later PERFECTLY refreshed. That, IMO, had more to do with me being tired from driving ALL day and taking a hot shower THAN the mattress itself.

It's a bed at the end of the day....you would get good sleep on hay if you were tired enough....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

^^^^ There's a lot of truth in this.

But one thing I've found is that like many other things, older mattresses tended to last a long time and perform well over the duration, which didn't help mattress sales at all. Newer mattresses, even very expensive ones and all the memory foam ones, tend to sag after a couple years and mattress companies are even advertising a shelf life of only 8 years before you should replace it.

If all mattresses today are low quality that wear out quickly, then yeah the $800 one is for me. If there is any out there that actually lasts 10-15 years, I'd spend $3 or $4K on one. The sleep number beds don't sag over time, you just keep them inflated properly. They may break, the pump/motor/controller, or the air bag may spring a leak, but Sleep Number stands by their stuff even well after warranty in my experience.

The Tempur pedic Queen we got maybe 5-6 years ago is great. 3-4k, no sag, 20 year Warranty should it ever sag and super comfortable. Sometimes it gets hot but I always sleep with a fan on anyway so hardly ever notice.

I saw now they have some cool comfort ones that reduce the heat retention so that could also be an option a nice option to combat that popular complaint. And most you can get interest free so like 50-70 a month, with the 20 year warranty, ours is still like brand new and we love it. Not sure what the new "cool" Tempur Pedics are like or what the run for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be Thankful for Everything for Soon there will be Nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Edonidd View Post
    Careful, memory foam gets super hot, and really retains body heat. I had a memory foam "foof" couch (like a bean bag but filled with shredded memory foam instead of styrofoam pellets) Super comfortable to sleep on, probably the most comfortable thing I have ever slept on tbh. But i would wake up just soaked in sweat. Wake up and scratch your balls, and your hand comes away dripping, just all around not worth it.
    We have a bed with a memory foam layer and have never had a heat issue. And yeah it's real comfortable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12