Question Where will our 4 non-starting QBs be when the season starts?

The choices are:
    Jordan Palmer, David Fales, Jimmy Clausen, Jerrod Johnson

The possible answers are:
    Makes the team as the #2 QB
    Makes the team as the #3 QB
    Makes the team as the #4 QB
    Practice squad
    Free Agent

Explanation of your answers is encouraged. I'll check back later and tabulate the results.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

Palmer-#2QB. By all accounts they like him as the backup. I don't see Clausen coming in and beating him out.
    Fales-#3 QB. We didn't draft a QB to see if we could sneak him onto the practice squad. Not with Fales. He's well known, he's well respected as a developmental QB. Somebody would pick him up in a heart beat.
    Clausen-Free Agent. Camp arm. That's it. Unless he wows the socks off somebody.
    Jerrod Johnson-Is he eligible for practice squad? If so, he goes there. If not. Free Agent.

I think we roll into the season with 3 QB's. Hester is gone, so that effectively opened a spot for a 3rd QB without taking away from somewhere else.

I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with a camp cut veteran as our number 2 and neither Palmer nor Clausen make the team. That said, Findawg I believe has this handicapped about right in my opinion. Maybe you can interchange Palmer and Clausen... but right now I'm thinking Palmer has a bit of an edge with his familiarity and the coaches' comfort zone with him. Heck, even Fales has a comfort zone with him.

I'm going to swim against the tide for one reason... There is reason to believe that time with Trestman counts. We brought Palmer, who was a street FA nobody into camp last year, when low and behold, he enters the offseason as our #2 QB. I'm not sure his lack of experience matters that much to Trestman, who made lemonade out of McCown already. Thus, I rank them like this:

Palmer... #2 QB
    Jerrod Johnson... On our practice squad about a 3 weeks last Sept. and signed at EOY... #3 QB
    David Fales... Draftee... Practice squad
    Clausen... Latest addition... Free agent
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

#2 - Palmer ... He has a year of the system under his belt and didn't perform poorly last preseason
    #3 - Fales ... I don't believe there's any way Trestman's first developmental QB sniffs the Practice Squad, unless he completely bombs
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
    #2 - Palmer ... He has a year of the system under his belt and didn't perform poorly last preseason
    #3 - Fales ... I don't believe there's any way Trestman's first developmental QB sniffs the Practice Squad, unless he completely bombs
    This.

I think Claussen is a good camp rental and the first guy we call in case of injury.

Johnson is just a camp arm, uless he's made major strides.

I'm in the "no way we take a chance w/ Fales + Practice Squad" camp.

Well, it's a good contest in the sense that there's over a dozen outcomes that could reasonably happen.
    OTOH, it's not so great in the sense that I'm very dubious that it matters in the slightest which one they choose for which role.

It's kind of like trying to guess the high temperature next Monday. Yeah, there'll be 5 or 10 different guesses, but if you guess 80 and it turns out to be 78, do you really care?

None of them are old, yet I don't think any one of the bunch has anywhere near even odds of being on the opening roster a couple years from now.

I'll play along and guess

Clausen - 2
    Fales - 3
    Palmer - PS
    Johnson - gone

but I don't think it matters that much.
    The word "hero" is frequently abused badly. This is a real hero.

#2 Palmer Unless he totally bombs or Fales is extremely impressive, seems like that's the way they would lean.
    #3 Fales I'm not sure Fales would last on the PS without someone eventually snatching him up.
    Other two will hit the streets and wait for the phone to ring.
    BEAR DOWN..................... AND WHILE YOU'RE DOWN THERE.....

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more Clausen seems like this year's Palmer: someone we work with right up to cutdown and then release after getting his number on Emery's speed dial. Fales either sticks on the roster or we let him go.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. Thereís a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if weíre not better it isnít because there arenít plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

everything I seen on Fales was not encouraging ,I will dig some quotes from the camp about him but so far I seen nothing positive .I would be surprised to see him as the # 3 this season .I was under the impression they had to go get someone else after seeing what they had in him

here is a quote on Claussen signing
    I don't believe this move signifies Fales as a bust but I do believe it means the Bears don't feel he's ready this year. I think this move means he's destined for the practice squad. He's a developmental sixth rounder, so PS is a perfect spot for him his 1st year.

I think the move says more about Jerrod Johnson than it does anyone. Johnson has looked like total crap the past two weeks. He's not going to give Palmer any competition. I don't think Johnson will make it to training camp.
    Last edited by mac; 06-11-2014 at 11:22 AM.