Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    It could work if they designed the panels to heat up using the energy they receive....you wouldn't need to plow the roads unless it were an overcast/snowy day...
    When it is freezing, there isn't going to be enough solar energy hitting them to keep them from freezing.

And, this is entirely incapable of being plowed, due to the traction bumps they built into it. And, the panels are modular, there are gaps, a bit of water gets in, then freezes, then the thing starts to crack up. It'll be like a michigan road after the first freeze.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbelt View Post
    When it is freezing, there isn't going to be enough solar energy hitting them to keep them from freezing.

And, this is entirely incapable of being plowed, due to the traction bumps they built into it. And, the panels are modular, there are gaps, a bit of water gets in, then freezes, then the thing starts to crack up. It'll be like a michigan road after the first freeze.
    It would work here in Irvine though.... Sorry, Northerners :)
    "What's so funny about peace , love and understanding?" - Elvis Costello

Not to mention glass gets way more brittle when it gets colder, and this past winter I know it got down (with a windchill, which still counts) to below zero degrees a double handful of times just where I live, which is somewhat temperature protected by the great lakes. It gets cold and the road starts shattering, or at least cracking, which affects its heat production, so more and more areas of the road can't thaw themselves and eventually they have to plow the roads, and all the remaining working panels get shattered by the plow. In all the whole road has to be replaced in all northern climes by about January first, and we still have several months of winter left, during which they can't pay for salt or snow plows, because they didn't budget for them because of these fancy new roads, and because they spent 700 times the budget they would have used to salt and plow the roads on installing them in the first place, they can't really finaggle the budget to make room for it, especially looking at having to replace all roads in teh state once the weather warms up. So they stop plowing the roads, children can no longer attend school, teachers can no longer make it to school to teach, parents can no longer make it to work to make a paycheck, nobody can make it to the grocery store, and 9/10's of the population dies, while the other 10% turn cannibal to survive. They then find they like the taste of human flesh so much, that once it warms up, they invade the southern states like a zombie horde, except armed top the teeth. They make short work of the unsuspecting southerners and soon decimate the population of north america.

Obviously these roads can lead to nothing short of Apocalypse, and the downfall of the human civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknifer View Post
    Energy problems could easily be rectified by growing hemp.
    Easily rectified? That sounds a little too good to be true. Course not taking advantage of all the benefits hemp could provide us is pretty asinine, but school me, homey. How does hemp solve the energy issues on a massive scale?.
    I'm your mama, I'm your daddy
    I'm that nigga in the alley
    I'm your doctor when in need
    Want some coke, have some weed
    You know me, I'm your friend
    Your main boy, thick and thin

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Ain't I clean, bad machine
    Super cool, super mean
    Dealin' good for the Man,
    Superfly, here I stand
    Secret stash, heavy bread
    Baddest bitches in the bed

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    Easily rectified? That sounds a little too good to be true. Course not taking advantage of all the benefits hemp could provide us is pretty asinine, but school me, homey. How does hemp solve the energy issues on a massive scale?.
    That's what I would like to know.

I LOVE hemp, but I just do not see the energy connection.

Ballpark estimate of $60T to replace all of our roads with this tech. Doesn't have a chance, especially when it's just as easy to install solar panels on the side of the road and a heck of a lot cheaper.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

There was a study done in the 80's indicating the biomass produced from approximately 8% of US arable land could provide the entire countries energy needs. 15% lies fallow at any given time and hemp is one of the best rotation crops.

This of course ignores that we could be growing it everywhere and stop wasting huge volumes of water on our lawns. Of all the crops we grow, grass is the #1 consumer of water and it only feeds the rabbits/deer etc.

Hemp can grow 15ft+ in the span of about 100 days. It's ability to produce biomass is pretty hard to match unless you look at much simpler organisms (which bring some other downsides).
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

This Solar Roadways project started showing up in my Facebook news feed, and seems to be getting a lot of popular support.

Except, I’m guessing, from actual engineers.

The idea that we can convert our roadway surfaces to electrical generation solar collectors has numerous practical problems. In fact, I don’t see how anyone with an engineering background could have seriously entertained the idea.

Here are a few of the problems which first came to my mind. (Joel Anderson at Equities.com, who calls the Solar Roadways idea “really silly”, has a few more of his own).

1. You can’t point the roadway to track the sun, to improve energy generation efficiency (which is only about 15% for photovoltaics, anyway, which makes PV generation expensive on a large scale).

2. Why embed solar panels in such a harsh environment where they are constantly being run over and flexed by millions of tons of vehicles? There are many more practical locations to use (such as roofs, that face southward).

3. How do you keep the solar collectors clean (as millions of tires scrub over them, and engines drip oil on them) so that sunlight can get collected by the embedded PV surfaces?

4. Who is going to actually PAY for such an obscenely expensive enterprise (other than government, which means you, the taxpayer)?

Furthermore, the above photo really has me suspicious. The photo supposedly shows the “active” portion of a solar parking lot melting snow. Say WHAT?….here’s a little lesson in thermodynamics. A dark surface heated by the sun converts essentially all of the absorbed sunlight into heat energy…which is what is needed to melt snow. If you instead siphon off some of the absorbed solar energy in the form of electricity, there is actually LESS heat energy to melt snow!

So, unless someone can correct me, something here smells fishy. And I’m being polite.

The Solar Roadways project is run by a couple who have been soliciting donations at the Indiegogo.com crowd funding website. Last I looked, it was approaching $1.4 Million(!) Not bad for a mom-and-pop operation.

Obviously, I work in the wrong field.
    http://www.drroyspencer.com/2014/05/...ally-bad-idea/
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

4. Who is going to actually PAY for such an obscenely expensive enterprise (other than government, which means you, the taxpayer)?

Uhm, yeah, that's true of any large infrastructure project, regardless of claims to the contrary.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Maybe a PPP could get this off the ground.

I'd like my house to be made of candy. Then at Halloween I could just pluck off treats.

This Would Be Incredible
    6 Footers For Bogey Really Suck

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknifer View Post
    There was a study done in the 80's indicating the biomass produced from approximately 8% of US arable land could provide the entire countries energy needs. 15% lies fallow at any given time and hemp is one of the best rotation crops.

This of course ignores that we could be growing it everywhere and stop wasting huge volumes of water on our lawns. Of all the crops we grow, grass is the #1 consumer of water and it only feeds the rabbits/deer etc.

Hemp can grow 15ft+ in the span of about 100 days. It's ability to produce biomass is pretty hard to match unless you look at much simpler organisms (which bring some other downsides).
    Interesting. If accurate how come nothing's been done looking further into this since the 80s?

Even the bigwigs making money hand over fist with the illegality of weed, especially those I would assume on the lawful side of the law. Have to realize that this, country, hell, the world, is gonna need to find viable means of alternate energy sources.
    I'm your mama, I'm your daddy
    I'm that nigga in the alley
    I'm your doctor when in need
    Want some coke, have some weed
    You know me, I'm your friend
    Your main boy, thick and thin

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Ain't I clean, bad machine
    Super cool, super mean
    Dealin' good for the Man,
    Superfly, here I stand
    Secret stash, heavy bread
    Baddest bitches in the bed

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    Interesting. If accurate how come nothing's been done looking further into this since the 80s?

Even the bigwigs making money hand over fist with the illegality of weed, especially those I would assume on the lawful side of the law. Have to realize that this, country, hell, the world, is gonna need to find viable means of alternate energy sources.
    It's incredibly difficult to monopolize.
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12