No brown M&Ms!!!

Surprising explanation for a semi-famous story.

By the early 1980s, Van Halen had become one of the biggest rock bands in history. Their touring contract carried a 53-page rider that laid out technical and security specs as well as food and beverage requirements. The "Munchies" section demanded potato chips, nuts, pretzels and "M&M's (WARNING: ABSOLUTELY NO BROWN ONES)."

When the M&M clause found its way into the press, it seemed like a typical case of rock-star excess, of the band "being abusive of others simply because we could," Mr. Roth said. But, he explained, "the reality is quite different."

Van Halen's live show boasted a colossal stage, booming audio and spectacular lighting. All this required a great deal of structural support, electrical power and the like. Thus the 53-page rider, which gave point-by-point instructions to ensure that no one got killed by a collapsing stage or a short-circuiting light tower. But how could Van Halen be sure that the local promoter in each city had read the whole thing and done everything properly?

Cue the brown M&M's. As Roth tells it, he would immediately go backstage to check out the bowl of M&M's. If he saw brown ones, he knew the promoter hadn't read the rider carefully—and that "we had to do a serious line check" to make sure that the more important details hadn't been botched either.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Cool story. I partied with VH a couple times though. And yeah, they could be serious d*ckheads for real, especially Diamond Dave. They also knew how to party though......for real.
    I'm your mama, I'm your daddy
    I'm that nigga in the alley
    I'm your doctor when in need
    Want some coke, have some weed
    You know me, I'm your friend
    Your main boy, thick and thin

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Ain't I clean, bad machine
    Super cool, super mean
    Dealin' good for the Man,
    Superfly, here I stand
    Secret stash, heavy bread
    Baddest bitches in the bed

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

lol. Pretty slick.

Not to de-rail the thread, but I'm an old guy and remember this:

"Even today, artificial dyes are subject to some of the most bizarre fears and nastiest urban legends. Blame Red Dye No. 2. In the 1970s, Soviet scientists claimed a link between the dye — used in everything from sausage casings and ice cream to makeup — and cancer, and U.S. tests proved some correlation as well. Though it was never linked to any deaths or illnesses, the substance was banned from U.S. shelves in 1976. Consumer worries were enough to get the Mars candy company to pull red M&Ms from their lineup of colors, even though they never contained any Red Dye No. 2 to begin with. It would take 10 years for the collective panic to fade — and for the M&M spectrum to be complete."
    I promise I won't do it again

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    Cool story. I partied with VH a couple times though. And yeah, they could be serious d*ckheads for real, especially Diamond Dave. They also knew how to party though......for real.
    Wait, wait, wait, tell those stories, the circumstances, the drugs, the women involved...I imagine the only cool one was Michael Anthony? I've heard stories of Eddie being a drunken dick. Feel free to be as detailed as possible.

What you can remember anyhow.
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

-Gandhi

Cool story, Bro.

A couple years ago, I got a bag of peanut M&M's daily from the vending machine at work. And I started to keep track of the # of colored M&M's....made a spread sheet to track the differences every day...and apparently they put in a lot more blue M&M's over all other colors now...(since they brought back the blues) and there's no consistency whatsoever in the # of colored M&M's....and the total M&M's per bag varies as much as 4.

I thought about doing research to see how they went about distributing M&M's...but decided against it...
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    Cool story, Bro.

A couple years ago, I got a bag of peanut M&M's daily from the vending machine at work. And I started to keep track of the # of colored M&M's....made a spread sheet to track the differences every day...and apparently they put in a lot more blue M&M's over all other colors now...(since they brought back the blues) and there's no consistency whatsoever in the # of colored M&M's....and the total M&M's per bag varies as much as 4.

I thought about doing research to see how they went about distributing M&M's...but decided against it...

Started a spreadsheet to track the number of colored M&M's? Thought about doing research?

I love you, man....you are a special kind of weird.

-Gandhi

No brown M&Ms!!!
    Donald Sterlings' Clippers Executive Box snack instructions.
    As defined by the Official Terrorism Training For Law Enforcement:
    What Is Domestic Terrorism?
    Extreme force and violence perpetrated by
    the people government of a country, within that country,
    for the purpose of coercing its government and population public
    into modifying its behavior"

You are either with Our Constitution or you are with The Terrorists!

Government...if it leans to the left it eventually means theft. - tlc

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Bear View Post
    Started a spreadsheet to track the number of colored M&M's? Thought about doing research?

I love you, man....you are a special kind of weird.
    The fact that I decided against doing research is progress to me.... I really need to stop wasting my life on things that don't matter...except for NST....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by thelittlecheese View Post
    Donald Sterlings' Clippers Executive Box snack instructions.
    OK, I chuckled....(claps with little fingers)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    Cool story, Bro.

It is a huge mistake to not follow this up with a more advanced and detailed investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    It is a huge mistake to not follow this up with a more advanced and detailed investigation.
    Dammit....don't tempt me, bro...

Ah man, come on, Breed. Don't leave us hangin'.

-Gandhi

Breed, don't make us get Hyped to analyze and research you and do a spread sheet on your interactions with rock stars. Spill the goods man.

Breed, don't make us get Hyped to analyze and research you and do a spread sheet on your interactions with rock stars. Spill the goods man.
    +2!!!

Was there really a lot of spreading on the sheets, or was it just hype?
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized