• C- Some picks good some not so good

11 34.38%
  • D- I liked one or two picks

0 0%
  • F- WTF were they doing

1 3.13%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by Birds4life81 View Post
    What's Attachio? Is that some Italian restaurant?

Your post reeks of you thinking you're way smarter than the Eagles coaching and scouting staff.
    I think Roseman and Kelly would agree with my assessment that they played it a little safe here. They believed strongly in these guys and didn't want to risk it. I am fine with that.

But it also means that they sacrificed a couple mid round draft picks because they though Smith was much greater than Lawrence, Attaochu and VanNoy and that Matthews was much greater than Latimer. I don't think you would have found anyone prior to the draft that would have shared that assessment and I suspect very few NFL teams that would have rated it that way. So IMO they overpaid a little. Its not really that big a deal. 4th round picks are usually busts anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by deerpathdave View Post
    I think Roseman and Kelly would agree with my assessment that they played it a little safe here. They believed strongly in these guys and didn't want to risk it. I am fine with that.

But it also means that they sacrificed a couple mid round draft picks because they though Smith was much greater than Lawrence, Attaochu and VanNoy and that Matthews was much greater than Latimer. I don't think you would have found anyone prior to the draft that would have shared that assessment and I suspect very few NFL teams that would have rated it that way. So IMO they overpaid a little. Its not really that big a deal. 4th round picks are usually busts anyways.
    I agree. i also think Smith is greater than Lawrence (who had some issues), and even though I pimped Latimer, after hearing from Matthews, he is more NFL ready, and researched a lot about the Eagles before he interviewed with them before the Draft. I'm very impressed. They did reach a little with Huff, but that's who Chip wanted, so he went ahead rather than lose out on him.

We will never know for sure. All we do know is that Lawrence, Attaochu and VanNoy were all rated higher - much higher - by every analyst out there.
    You mean Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Mike Mayock, Charles Davis and anyone behind a computer monitor or TV screen.

Most "analyst" had Ja'Wuan James, Deone Bucannon, Dominique Easley and Jimmie Ward as 2nd round picks as well.

Most GM's will tell you -- there's not 32 1st round talents in every draft, after a certain point the "tier" of players will hit a drop off from those true 1st round talents. After that, teams take guys they like the most, could be at a premium position or biggest need position. Sure you can try to trade down again and hope you land the guy you want, but you could end up regretting that move and dropping down to another tier of players or missing out on the guy you covet. The eagles coveted Marcus Smith and after they lost their top targets, they traded down 4 spots and netted a 3rd round pick which was amazing…after that, no offer they received was the risk of losing Marcus Smith -- so they got their guy and a 3rd round pick. Reports are the Patriots, Seahawks and Redskins were all very interested in Marcus Smith, so you can't tell me that they could've traded down again and got him, you just can't say that.
    Last edited by Birds4life81; 05-12-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old duke View Post
    I agree. i also think Smith is greater than Lawrence (who had some issues), and even though I pimped Latimer, after hearing from Matthews, he is more NFL ready, and researched a lot about the Eagles before he interviewed with them before the Draft. I'm very impressed. They did reach a little with Huff, but that's who Chip wanted, so he went ahead rather than lose out on him.
    He's wasn't saying he thought Smith was greater than Lawrence

You mean Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Mike Mayock, Charles Davis and anyone behind a computer monitor or TV screen.

Most "analyst" had Ja'Wuan James, Deone Bucannon, Dominique Easley and Jimmie Ward as 2nd round picks as well.

Most GM's will tell you -- there's not 32 1st round talents in every draft, after a certain point the "tier" of players will hit a drop off from those true 1st round talents. After that, teams take guys they like the most, could be at a premium position or biggest need position. Sure you can try to trade down again and hope you land the guy you want, but you could end up regretting that move and dropping down to another tier of players or missing out on the guy you covet. The eagles coveted Marcus Smith and after they lost their top targets, they traded down 4 spots and netted a 3rd round pick which was amazing…after that, no offer they received was the risk of losing Marcus Smith -- so they got their guy and a 3rd round pick. Reports are the Patriots, Seahawks and Redskins were all very interested in Marcus Smith, so you can't tell me that they could've traded down again and got him, you just can't say that.
    Exactly. The Eagles played it a little safe and for that I give them a B. If they traded down again, it could have blown up in their face. Some of you just hand out A's a little too easily IMO.

You listen to Roseman and Kelly talk and I think they would agree with this assessment. The draft did not work out ideally for them. They missed out on their top tier in the first round. They had to trade up in the second round for their guy, and they missed out on the guard they wanted in the third round. It was not an ideal draft.

Exactly. The Eagles played it a little safe and for that I give them a B. If they traded down again, it could have blown up in their face. Some of you just hand out A's a little too easily IMO.

You listen to Roseman and Kelly talk and I think they would agree with this assessment. The draft did not work out ideally for them. They missed out on their top tier in the first round. They had to trade up in the second round for their guy, and they missed out on the guard they wanted in the third round. It was not an ideal draft.
    It's rarely an ideal draft, especially when you're picking later in the round. I think they did the best they could in the situation they were put in. They coveted Smith and think he will be a damn good player with a very high ceiling, I don't see why they should risk losing out on him for a 4th round pick, especially after they lost out on their 1st targets and just got away with highway robbery with the Browns.

If you're not fully satisfied with the picks that is more than fine….but to pretend like you have a crystal ball and know that these guys would've lasted much longer is complete bs
    Last edited by Birds4life81; 05-12-2014 at 09:33 PM.

It's rarely an ideal draft, especially when you're picking later in the round. I think they did the best they could in the situation they were put in. They coveted Smith and think he will be a damn good player with a very high ceiling, I don't see why they should risk losing out on him for a 4th round pick, especially after they lost out on their 1st targets and just got away with highway robbery with the Browns.

If you're not fully satisfied with the picks that is more than fine….but to pretend like you have a crystal ball and know that these guys would've lasted much longer is complete bs
    I am fully satisfied with the picks. I gave them a B. I trust their talent evaluation. They are the guys that had the opportunity to spend time with the players. None of the so called experts did.

None of that changes the fact that from a draft strategy perspective they left a little on the table and I think they would agree.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567