Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 3rd ROUND

Colbert has been garbage since Cowher left.

We're going on 7+ years of sh1t OL play and they have not drafted a true impact player on defense in nearly that same time frame.

Whether he has just become complacent due to his apparent butt buddy relationship with Art II and Dan, or has been contaminated by Tomlin's blinding incompetence, the bottom line is that Colbert has not been cutting it since Cowher retired.

Where have they drafted? Largely in the late 1st for crying out loud. Show me where they are going to get some blue chip talent in most of those years. It doesn't exist.

I will agree it took them to long to address the OL, however we won a SB (2009) and went to another with **** OL play. They've tried to hammer it out lately and unfortuantely they've missed on the 2nd round tackles (im hoping Munchak can turn the light on for one of Adams/Gilbert). But let's not forget Colbert drafted the first C in NFL history to make a Pro Bowl in each of his first 3 years. He got Decastro 2 years ago and he played at a near Pro Bowl level last year. Beachum was a diamond in the rough. The OL was tremendous the 2nd half of last year when we finally stayed healthy and went 6-2. I see a much improved unit and especially moreso now that Munchak is in the fold.

To get a legit franchise T you need to pick in the top 10 or usually top 5. When have we picked that high under Tomlin? It's just not been feasible to this point and frankly i don't want to be drafting in the top 10 or 5.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

I don't like the Archer pick at all, but to say that somehow devalues the first two picks is....I'll call it "obtuse" in an effort to be nice-ish.

Happens every year like clockwork though. Steelers make a pick most of the fans don't like and the masses immediately call for the coach/GM to be fired. *checks off box next to May 10th, 2014*

With 10 hours between my initial reaction when the pick was made and now I still think it's pretty much a waste. Not because Archer can't play, but because I think he's going to get killed. That said, in no way is it remotely a "scorch the earth" kind of event for the front office. Nor does it change the fact that Shazier and Tuitt were both strong picks just because some dude in Blawnox with a "One For the Thumb" t-shirt thinks they should have drafted a couple CBs by now.

They've got 6 more picks and this class is deep. May want to wait until this evening at least before you start packing the North Shore with explosives.

(Calling it now: Pittsburgh takes a freaking QB in round 4 and this thread totally goes up like an army of Roman candles. :))
    Last edited by ThinMan; 05-10-2014 at 01:10 PM.
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast

Troy Polamalu and Casey Hampton were mid-1st rounders, James Harrison was undrafted and Marvel Smith was a second round pick.

Going back pre-Colbert, Alan Faneca was a late 1st and Hines Ward and Joey Porter were 3rd rounders.

This "they haven't had any top 10 picks" excuse is just that: an excuse.

I mean, it could have some validity over short periods of time, but not over the course of seven ****ing years.

Colbert been getting by strictly on reputation for some time now.

So Pouncey and Decastro were terrible picks? Pouncey has been a Pro Bowl C 3 times already. Late 1st round picks both.

2007 - Please educated me as to what T would have made sense in round 1 over Timmons.

2008 - I guess you could argue Duane Brown who went a few picks later but at the time we were running a power scheme and Brown is a zone blocker.

2009 - Picked 32nd. Again, nobody there.
    2010 - Pouncey (see above). OL is better for it.
    2011 - Picked 31st. Got Heyward. That looks like it's working out.
    2012 - Got Decastro. OL is better for it.

So please explain where the dominant T was that we should have nabbed in the top round, or even 2nd. Please.

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by thinman View Post
    @edbouchette: Archer runs a 4.2-something. That's fast. So too is the bug when it hits the windshield.
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Bouchette apparently doesn't like the pick lol. Dri Archer = bug.

To me it was a wasted pick when you have Bell and Blount. This is a Haley pick, plain and simple. Maybe 3rd time will be the charm?

-George Orwell

I'd also like to throw Jones name in the hat for potential great picks, will make a huge jump after getting all that experience last year. Colbert doesn't get credit for A. Brown, Lewis, Wallace, Bell? This team has also had weird bad luck with Spence, but especially Adams. I think he's gonna make a huge improvement this year. Getting freaking stabbed is a huge deal and that needs to be recognized.

And all this with all the talk of drafting Shazier too early. Now we all know we shocked Dallas. None of us are NFL GMs. I could also argue Colbert couldn't do much about the injury to Bell or bad officiating that kept us out of the playoffs last year.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinMan View Post
    I don't like the Archer pick at all, but to say that somehow devalues the first two picks is....I'll call it "obtuse" in an effort to be nice-ish.

Happens every year like clockwork though. Steelers make a pick most of the fans don't like and the masses immediately call for the coach/GM to be fired. *checks off box next to May 10th, 2014*

With 10 hours between my initial reaction when the pick was made and now I still think it's pretty much a waste. Not because Archer can't play, but because I think he's going to get killed. That said, in no way is it remotely a "scorch the earth" kind of event for the front office. Nor does it change the fact that Shazier and Tuitt were both strong picks just because some dude in Blawnox with a "One For the Thumb" t-shirt thinks they should have drafted a couple CBs by now.

They've got 6 more picks and this class is deep. May want to wait until this evening at least before you start packing the North Shore with explosives.

(Calling it now: Pittsburgh takes a freaking QB in round 4 and this thread totally goes up like an army of Roman candles. :))
    I laughed. Exactly my feelings when watching the message boards regarding how terrible Colbert has been and what a joke of a franchise we run.....

-George Orwell

How anyone can sit there and say they felt okay with Vince Williams potentially as the starting LB on this defense is mind boggling to me. Smacks of contrarianism for its own sake. To say nothing of getting hung up of "but...LB isn't a need!!"

A. Any selection on defense from this draft cannot be viewed as a "luxury pick." They need an infusion of playmakers at ALL levels. That includes LB, and B)Vapor locking on drafting for need over talent is exactly what landed Pittsburgh stalwarts like Ziggy Hood, Troy Edwards, Jamain Stephens, et al
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast

I think Williams is OK as the backup.....

and draft quality!!!!
    The Leafies are Scumbags.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkItAZero! View Post
    So Pouncey and Decastro were terrible picks? Pouncey has been a Pro Bowl C 3 times already. Late 1st round picks both.

2007 - Please educated me as to what T would have made sense in round 1 over Timmons.

2008 - I guess you could argue Duane Brown who went a few picks later but at the time we were running a power scheme and Brown is a zone blocker.

2009 - Picked 32nd. Again, nobody there.
    2010 - Pouncey (see above). OL is better for it.
    2011 - Picked 31st. Got Heyward. That looks like it's working out.
    2012 - Got Decastro. OL is better for it.

So please explain where the dominant T was that we should have nabbed in the top round, or even 2nd. Please.
    Drafting Mendenhall over Brown was a big mistake. No doubt about that.

Probably not elite, but I'm sure there have been other decent OTs they've passed over in recent years.

Also, it's just not the OL, the overall talent level on the team has been on the decline for years.

I love we finally got the ILB upgrade and with Spence, Williams and Moats we have some great depth too, but need one more OLB depth guy as Carter is pretty much a bust at this point. Tuitt I'd have taken in RD1 so getting 2 1st round projected picks in first two rounds has made for exceptional start. I like Archer, he maybe a bit slight at 5'8 1775, very McClusters like 5'8" 170 by the way. He will be a great weapon on offense and in return game. With Addition of Bryant in 4th, great value at that point.

Turn off music and watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-3JgIG9hhM
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678