Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    Bingo.

Every potential 2-tech/NT remaining had issues. Nix has his knee. Justin Ellis doesn't really play like a NT and didn't play against great competition. Daniel McCullers' conditioning and technique are big question marks. Ferguson is inexperienced and it showed.

But at 3-tech you had Sutton, whose dropoff in 2013 was easily explained; Caraun Reid, who's answered a lot of questions about his level of competition; and Jay Bromley, who's another Ferguson case. The pool was richer there. So I can see how Emery might have spooked himself, though I don't like it.

It worked out. And if reports are true that Ferguson had some long conversations with Paul Pasqualoni, then we've got an experienced assistant coach who went to bat for the guy and thinks he'll work like a professional. If PP's faith is warranted, Ferguson will be fine and we'll be better.
    Just playing devil's advocate here, but that is how we ended up with Jamarcus Webb, no? Our experienced OL coach at the time saw a diamond in the rough that he thought he could coach up to be the next great left tackle.

Honestly, I feel good about this though. I like that we took Ego AND Sutton. We really attacked the position and the odds are at least one of them will emerge. And if they could feed off each other a bit like Kyle Long and Jordan Mills... we may have a really good dynamic there. I really liked Sutton going into day 2 and thought he'd be a great second round pick. Stoked that we got him. And if they think Ego is one round better then I'm giddy. I think we just finished off the DL rebuild like we did with the WR and OL units the past two seasons.

So happy with Sutton. I would've drafted our 2 & 3 in the opposite order, but happy either way.
    Basic, yes, but it was something we rarely saw under former Bears coordinator Ron Turner. Turner's idea of in-game adjustments involved his boxer shorts. -Rick Morrissey.

Will be interesting to see what they do at safety. Especially considering passing on one early with and there still being some good depth available at CB.
    BEAR DOWN..................... AND WHILE YOU'RE DOWN THERE.....

Quote Originally Posted by mouse View Post
    Will be interesting to see what they do at safety. Especially considering passing on one early with and there still being some good depth available at CB.
    Agreed. It's a big hole to fill. I kinda wonder if over the next two rounds, they try to take a FS (Huff, Vereen)...and then try to grab a tweener type prospect in R5 (Dontae Johnson) to throw at the position as well.

Ideally, in my perfect world, the Bears take Exum in R4 to play FS and Mo Alexander in R5 to play SS.

Exum I like, just worry about his durability.
    BEAR DOWN..................... AND WHILE YOU'RE DOWN THERE.....

Quote Originally Posted by mouse View Post
    Exum I like, just worry about his durability.
    I do too, and likely so does Emery, unfortunately for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BearsFanInMN View Post
    So happy with Sutton. I would've drafted our 2 & 3 in the opposite order, but happy either way.
    +1m

Exactly. When we missed on A.Donald, my fallback choices were Stephon Tuitt and Will Sutton. I was mildly surprised to see them take Ego, but only really upset about it because I thought it meant they would not take Sutton. When they took Sutton, I was practically turning cartwheels. Can't remember being that happy about a draft pick since Urlacher.
    None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you... you're locked in here with me. ........
    .......................Best Green Bay quote ever: "We'll never forget you, Brent." .......

Thankfully the Bears didn't draft Kony Ealy. :)

Was a little surprised with the Ferguson pick in R2 but as TB knows, I was all about Sutton to the Bears in either R2 or R3. Love that pick. If he drops some weight, he could be just as productive as Donald, IMO.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

It is hard not to like the Sutton pick he could be an absolute steal in the 3rd seems like he has his head screwed on right to listening to the interviews.

As for the next few rounds I like a few of the safties on the board still and they all rate about the same as far as I am concerned would be happy with a combo of them

Seastrunk is a guy still on the board that intrigues me doubt we go that way though
    Next thing you know they will take my thoughts away

Maybe Ferguson has the ACLs of an elephant, if he holds up an entire season, he's already an improvement!
    Slightly better Jay, different day

Got to watch a lot of ASU games this year. I will admit didn't know anything about Sutton going into the season, while his numbers might have been down every game he stood out to me on defense. If Ego is a clogger we might have accomplished exactly what we needed most.
    Basic, yes, but it was something we rarely saw under former Bears coordinator Ron Turner. Turner's idea of in-game adjustments involved his boxer shorts. -Rick Morrissey.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021