Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Quote Originally Posted by Xulu Bak View Post
    Correct. I was commenting on the absurdity of it taking so long well before this ruling. It's critical because this isn't a one-season or 16-game suspension, but a calendar-year suspension, meaning he'll be suspended until late August next year (even without any DUI punishment), missing all of camp and most of the preseason, which is an inexcusable timeline.
    Actually, I just read that the arbitrator made an exception and Gordon could be eligible for reinstatement during the '15 offseason. In other words, he cleaned up the NFL's mess. Or, at least gave them an out to clean up their own mess.

I read earlier that he can apply for reinstatement after the 2014 season, meaning its not a calendar year. But I'm not certain.

I wonder if the team may try to convince him NOT to pursue any legal action. I think sitting out this year would hurt the team less than next year or the year after.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggloo View Post
    So much butthurt from the Cleveland fans...
    I read ignorant, hateful *******s agreeing with the NFL.

I don't agree with the NFL punishment for pot and alcohol actually. It's dumb.

That said, Josh Gordon is dumber. He has a history of repeated violations for things that most intelligent people would realize are not worth losing millions of dollars and a pro sports career over.

Dumber still are the Cleveland Browns for drafting a player run out of two colleges and not expecting there would be some potential problems. Trading down instead of taking Watkins was OK IMO because of what they got. But not addressing WR in this draft was a huge mistake IMO and they will pay for that mistake when Gordon is off puffin' smoke in Colorado this season and Miles Austin inevitably pulls up lame with a strained hammy in about week 2.

So...that's where I stand on this issue. I am just tired of hearing people act like Gordon doesn't deserve this. He should actually be banned from football for felony stupidity and be forced to work at a Whataburger in Texas somewhere for the rest of his life, as he would be were it not for his ability to run fast and catch a leather spheroid.
    Last edited by Iggloo; 08-27-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Yep. Prater deserves it too, but...

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    Get rid of the policy, not Gordon.

The league is better with Josh Gordon in it.
    An idiot?
    I promise I won't do it again

That said, Josh Gordon is dumber. He has a history of repeated violations for things that most intelligent people would realize are not worth losing millions of dollars and a pro sports career over.

Dumber still are the Cleveland Browns for drafting a player run out of two colleges and not expecting there would be some potential problems. Trading down instead of taking Watkins was OK IMO because of what they got. But not addressing WR in this draft was a huge mistake IMO and they will pay for that mistake when Gordon is off puffin' smoke in Colorado this season and Miles Austin inevitably pulls up lame with a strained hammy in about week 2.

So...that's where I stand on this issue. I am just tired of hearing people act like Gordon doesn't deserve this. He should actually be banned from football for felony stupidity and be forced to work at a Whataburger in Texas somewhere for the rest of his life, as he would be were it not for his ability to run fast and catch a leather spheroid.
    +1
    I promise I won't do it again

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Gordon doesn't have a case like the Williams had. IMO he'd get laughed out of court and only accomplish padding his lawyers pockets.

Gordon didn't even provide a legal argument against the suspension. Its why it was always pretty much a certainty he was going to lose his appeal. Their whole argument is that the testing method that was agreed to in the CBA by both the NFLPA and the NFL was too strict. Well that might be true but that is something that needs to be sorted out between the NFLPA and the NFL....not something for the courts to rule on and not something that was ever going to win him his appeal.

And maybe more importantly Gordon doesn't have the financial incentive to try to win an injunction during an appeal that he knows he is almost certain to lose. Both Pat and Kevin made millions during the time that injunction was in place that they very possibly might not have made if they had been suspended right away. So it made sense to throw 6 figures away in lawyers fees to delay what I think they knew was an inevitable suspension. I don't see the financial incentive for Gordon in this situation. He's better to take his medicine like a man now (just make sure it isn't prescription mary jane) and come back and earn his contract extension. It would be better then trying to delay the inevitable and have this type of cloud of a year long suspension looming over him while he is trying to negotiate a new deal.
    Wait, what? Gordon has a huge financial incentives. If he appeals and wins he Will save hundreds of thousands or millions in current salary and get to free agency quicker. Even a single lost year in an NFL career is massively important given how short NFL careers are.

As for his legal case, the link below lays out in detail his position and it is a very strong one. Stronger than the STARCAPS case. He had a weaker defense within the context of the NFL rules but a much stronger one that the NFL testing policy should be superceded by the Ohio state regulations.

http://fieldandcourt.com/component/k...is-appeal.html
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    Wait, what? Gordon has a huge financial incentives. If he appeals and wins he Will save hundreds of thousands or millions in current salary and get to free agency quicker. Even a single lost year in an NFL career is massively important given how short NFL careers are.

As for his legal case, the link below lays out in detail his position and it is a very strong one. Stronger than the STARCAPS case. He had a weaker defense within the context of the NFL rules but a much stronger one that the NFL testing policy should be superceded by the Ohio state regulations.

http://fieldandcourt.com/component/k...is-appeal.html
    He doesn't have a case.

Everyone is reading his lawyers version of the events and doesn't understand the process.

Its long and complicated and I don't have the time to go into it but essentially the NFL runs 3 test (more than the state of Ohio requires). And each time they tested positive according to the NFL standards....standards that are collectively bargained for and agreed to.

We are only reading about two tests because the 3rd test actually makes Gordon look a little worse and his lawyer, who is the one who leaked all this info, didn't want that.

In the article you linked that guy only thinks there was only two tests. He's wrong. The first test he is unaware about Gordon tested 38ng with a threshold of 20. The confirmation test was the 16. The 3rd test which is done in an over-abundance of caution to make sure there are no false positives was the 13 but that test has a threshold of 0 as it is just a triple check. In all those cases the NFL has a right under Ohio law to set the thresholds in the CBA and in all 3 cases they matched what lines up as a positive test for marijuana.

But more importantly financially: Gordon is almost certain to lose. If his lawyer tell him otherwise, they should be disbarred.

Knowing that the only hope that Gordon really has is delaying the inevitable. And if that is the case it is much better for him financially to get this suspension out of the way then have it looming over him. He was one of the best WR's in the NFL in the 14 games he played last year. Its time to take a year off, get his life and attitude in order, and come back and take the league by storm again. He does that and he will be looking at a $13+ million a year contract (not extremely long term probably because of his history but still a lot of dough). If he delays the inevitable no team is going to open up their wallet for him knowing that he is going to get suspended eventually.

The knucklehead apparently wants to play in the CFL now, unaware that he is under contract and does not have the right to play for another team.

The knucklehead apparently wants to play in the CFL now, unaware that he is under contract and does not have the right to play for another team.
    Those rules are pretty byzantine, but they did a number of years ago have rules which allowed guys to go back and forth to play. Doesn't come up much with guys going north obviously.

But the NFL cut the CFL a cheque, and the CFL waved goodbye to contract protection.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    He doesn't have a case.

Everyone is reading his lawyers version of the events and doesn't understand the process.

Its long and complicated and I don't have the time to go into it but essentially the NFL runs 3 test (more than the state of Ohio requires). And each time they tested positive according to the NFL standards....standards that are collectively bargained for and agreed to.

We are only reading about two tests because the 3rd test actually makes Gordon look a little worse and his lawyer, who is the one who leaked all this info, didn't want that.

In the article you linked that guy only thinks there was only two tests. He's wrong. The first test he is unaware about Gordon tested 38ng with a threshold of 20. The confirmation test was the 16. The 3rd test which is done in an over-abundance of caution to make sure there are no false positives was the 13 but that test has a threshold of 0 as it is just a triple check. In all those cases the NFL has a right under Ohio law to set the thresholds in the CBA and in all 3 cases they matched what lines up as a positive test for marijuana.

But more importantly financially: Gordon is almost certain to lose. If his lawyer tell him otherwise, they should be disbarred.

Knowing that the only hope that Gordon really has is delaying the inevitable. And if that is the case it is much better for him financially to get this suspension out of the way then have it looming over him. He was one of the best WR's in the NFL in the 14 games he played last year. Its time to take a year off, get his life and attitude in order, and come back and take the league by storm again. He does that and he will be looking at a $13+ million a year contract (not extremely long term probably because of his history but still a lot of dough). If he delays the inevitable no team is going to open up their wallet for him knowing that he is going to get suspended eventually.
    Very well said. The only thing Gordon will accomplish by suing the league is pushing back the inevitable while paying his attorneys huge sums of money.

He has reportedly asked the Browns for permission to play in the CFL, so he or his agent apparently understand that permission is required since he is under contract.

That would be great for the CFL to get a talent like Gordon. So the NFL would never let it happen. Because, remember, they are *******s first and foremost - what do they get out of not letting Gordon play football in the NFL?

You're hateful of Gordon's "idiocy" for what reason? Because of your lack of gifts at birth that restricted you from ever playing in the NFL because you don't have any talent? Here's a suggestion, cry to your mommy and daddy about it instead of taking it out on Gordon.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718