Chris Polk: not where you are drafted, but what you do with the opportunity

Nice story about my boy Polk and how he got passed over by everyone on draft day due to medical staff at the combine declaring that he had a degenerative shoulder condition.

Polk nearly signed with the Redskins after the draft, but thankfully he got a call from Duce and some other coaches and they persuaded him to come to Philly, that being undrafted would not hurt his chances here.

Anyway, the story clarifies that his offseason surgery was for his right labrum, not his left shoulder hurt earlier, and he seems to say he is fine now. So don't be writing off Polk yet, his best days in Philly are ahead of him.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...k4CAyydJaZf.99
    Last edited by Iggloo; 05-07-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Ha, Peters destroying the LB.

I like how Mathis is waving bye bye, signalling Polk is gone for the TD.

That story says Polk also got a certificate from James Andrews about his shoulder being OK prior to the draft, but teams reportedly were very skeptical, perhaps with good reason. I suspect there is something to his shoulder, but guys can and have played through such injuries before.

I really like the way Polk runs, his talent was never a question. If he can stay somewhat durable, he will definitely prove to be a steal

Our backfield is truly stacked.
    [I]"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ___ Samuel Adams "Father of the American Revolution"

"Originally Posted by JackBauer"
    I'm still waiting to see the Democrats running on a platform of reduced federal spending.

One question remains at RB. Should Shady go down for an extended period of time, does Chip have a RB on hand that can replace him in the way Chip wants.

Im not so sure he does. I think there is an outside chance Chip goes after RB in rd. 4 or later. A guy who can run the ball 15-20 times AND catch the ball really well.

Charles Sims?

Shady/Sproles/Sims

Has a nice ring to it.

Why would Sims even be available in rd. 4? Well, he will be 24 on opening day but in 2 years or so, he could be the heir to Shady or at the very least a damn good #2 when Sproles is sent to pasture.

In the meantime. Huge insurance.

I like Henry Josey and Senorise Perry as late round RB prospects, though Henry is on the smaller side.

What team is going to have a backup that brings everything to the table McCoy does? McCoy gets hurt and you mix and match Sproles/Brown/Polk.

Quote Originally Posted by iggles nut View Post
    What team is going to have a backup that brings everything to the table McCoy does? McCoy gets hurt and you mix and match Sproles/Brown/Polk.
    No one said he needed a backup that can do "everything" that Shady does. Sims certainly cant. Thats not really the point.

THe point is needing a more complete back to have as insurance in case Shady goes down for an extended period of time. Mixing and matching a run first Offense that likes to throw to the backs doesnt seem like something Chip would prefer to do. But maybe that is the plan. Who knows.

I think Polk could handle a full-time role. He's not as dynamic as McCoy obviously but he can catch the ball and pass-protect.

And Brown had several 100 yard games in relief of McCoy two years ago. I could think of many positions in greater need of depth than this one, now that we added Sproles to the mix.

I like polk, brown and sproles as good options to backup shady, but i wouldnt mind a big back that can move the pile on short yardage situations. We havent had that since... Well... Duce wasnt big but he was strong as an ox. I think we really need a big strong short yardage back.
    "you know my rap, 21 and 10"