Would you make this trade?

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

Dolphins at 19 want a trade up for Lewan in exchange for a 3rd round pick. In the scenario at 14 a few guys like Donald, Pryor, all the CB's, Mosley, and Ebron all avaiable still.
    BEAR DOWN..................... AND WHILE YOU'RE DOWN THERE.....

Quote Originally Posted by mouse View Post
    http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

Dolphins at 19 want a trade up for Lewan in exchange for a 3rd round pick. In the scenario at 14 a few guys like Donald, Pryor, all the CB's, Mosley, and Ebron all avaiable still.
    With Donald available - I'd say no.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by DaSuperfan View Post
    With us still getting Fuller I say yes (especially since there is a lot of DT value in between the 2nd-4th rounds). No brainer in my opinion. Rule of the NFL Draft....NEVER fall in love with one player (although personally...I REALLY...REALLY love Donald).

Quote Originally Posted by Bearmagic View Post
    With us still getting Fuller I say yes (especially since there is a lot of DT value in between the 2nd-4th rounds). No brainer in my opinion. Rule of the NFL Draft....NEVER fall in love with one player (although personally...I REALLY...REALLY love Donald).
    That is a terrible rule.

Of course you should fall in love with players you feel strongly about. You shouldn't overpay for them, but the reality of the matter is that sometimes Culpepper really is two thirds, a 4th, and a 5th better than McNown. And sometimes a late 2nd rounder is a small price to pay to move up for Jerry Rice.

What you shouldn't fall in love with is your own assessment skills. Really, none of us are that good. But if you really believe someone is significantly better than someone else, then yes, it makes plenty of sense to fall in love.
    Tall, Dorky, and Ham-handed

Quote Originally Posted by chewtoy View Post
    That is a terrible rule.

What you shouldn't fall in love with is your own assessment skills.
    So are you saying I should fall in love with your assessment skills then? Relax, I'm just being a brat. All good fun!

Beard Down,

BM

Quote Originally Posted by chewtoy View Post
    That is a terrible rule.

Of course you should fall in love with players you feel strongly about. You shouldn't overpay for them, but the reality of the matter is that sometimes Culpepper really is two thirds, a 4th, and a 5th better than McNown. And sometimes a late 2nd rounder is a small price to pay to move up for Jerry Rice.

What you shouldn't fall in love with is your own assessment skills. Really, none of us are that good. But if you really believe someone is significantly better than someone else, then yes, it makes plenty of sense to fall in love.
    In all truthfulness, it is a tough call to make as I really like Donald a lot. The guy could be a star (so could Fuller though). Trying to play a mock Scout [like most who responded to Mouse's post] is not an exact science. Obviously, the decision can go either way. Both seem like they are good players. Personally, although I love Donald, I would gladly take Fuller and the keep our 3rd round pick and patch up our defense. We can get a lot of good players with a 3rd round pick. Obviously, you have to trust your scouting and predicting who will be there in the 3rd.

P.S. Remember, although Fuller is a CB, he does offer a lot of versatility and experience at safety as well. Fuller is the real deal.
    Last edited by Bearmagic; 05-03-2014 at 01:17 PM.

I would agree. If Donald was gone I'd probably do it.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I saw that last night.

Missing Donald and Gilbert, to get Fuller, for a 3 doesn't excite me.

This is the absolute first time I've heard anyone discuss Fuller as a possibility.
    Last edited by Moriarty; 05-03-2014 at 01:34 PM.
    The word "hero" is frequently abused badly. This is a real hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearmagic View Post
    So are you saying I should fall in love with your assessment skills then? Relax, I'm just being a brat. All good fun!

Beard Down,

BM
    haha.... no, I've always said I know nothing about the scouting process and I watch very little college football. My assessment skills are the last thing anyone should fall in love with.

All I was trying to do was point out that there is no general rule that you shouldn't fall in love with a player. If that were in fact a rule, it should be factual that every team that "fell in love with a player" and traded up for that player was making a mistake and every team that traded down got a good deal. That just isn't the case.

The real first rule of the draft is to maximize the total value your draft class produces. If you think Jerry Rice is the best player in the draft (#1 overall pick value) and you can get him by trading up to pick #16 (substantially lower cost) then by all means fall in love with that player. Overpay for the #16 pick if you have to because getting the #1 overall player for the cost of slightly more than the #16 pick absolutely helps you maximize your draft value. Meanwhile, if Dante Culpepper is the last player at a need position who has a top tier grade, "refusing to fall in love with him" so that you can pick up some late round picks is absolutely the wrong call. The expense of falling out of that top tier of Qb's is higher than the net value you gain in the trade.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear - my "don't fall in love with your assessment skills" line wasn't a shot at you. Its a blanket statement I trot out at this time every year. A lot of draftnicks get really upset with our draft picks no matter who we take. Brian Urlacher was a bummer because we JUST missed out on Plaxico Burress and Thomas Jones. Mike Brown was at least a full round reach and we probably should have just taken Deon Grant instead. Kahri Samuel was a big body and a steal late in the draft, but Rosevelt Colvin was too much of a tweener and a waste of a draft pick. Taking a ST ace in the second round was too much of a reach, because there is no way Devin Hester is going to impact games every week.... and so on and so on. Its fun to have opinions and to analyze the draft. Just don't lose your cool over decisions either way.
    Tall, Dorky, and Ham-handed

I think in the end I would have rather stayed at 14 and taken Donald as well. At this point if he even makes it to 14 we would have to consider ourselves pretty lucky. Hopefully the first round plays out like this mock though, that would be about the best we can hope for as far as who is available.
    BEAR DOWN..................... AND WHILE YOU'RE DOWN THERE.....

Quote Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
    I would agree. If Donald was gone I'd probably do it.
    +1 (well, 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    This is the absolute first time I've heard anyone discuss Fuller as a possibility.
    i've a feeling you're gonna be surprised at how high Fuller goes on Thursday, then.
    Your Chicago Bears: still learning about this newfangled thing called the "forward pass."

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    You must block my posts.

Value wise it's good and I'd be tempted a bit with who is still on the board, but I stay and go with Donald. The fact that the guys that are probably our 2nd choice or choices 2-6 :-) are available should push a couple positions we weren't expecting farther down when we pick in the 2nd.
    Basic, yes, but it was something we rarely saw under former Bears coordinator Ron Turner. Turner's idea of in-game adjustments involved his boxer shorts. -Rick Morrissey.

Only if Donald was gone

Quote Originally Posted by thunderspirit View Post
    i've a feeling you're gonna be surprised at how high Fuller goes on Thursday, then.

You are definitely right on that count
    The word "hero" is frequently abused badly. This is a real hero.