Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    make no mistake Keisel would be a backup and I wanna see the team make selections to help the DL...

depth...veteran depth with knowledge of the system...

I'd rather him than Harrison...
    Agreed. Harrison could teach the young OLBs a thing or two, but he's also a flag magnet (not to mention a magnet for fines from Goddell.) Keisel can still be productive in the Steelers' system, which is a more important attribute than simply being a "good DE." As a depth player for a vet min. contract, he makes a lot of sense.
    "Dying is easy; comedy is hard." - Edmund Kean

Keisel will not WANT to be a back up, and even if he did, he will not be a logical back up.
    His career ended on a fumble recovery in GB.
    When I saw it…I knew it.
    It was his last hurrah…..
    Six Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers!

He doesn't sound like a player who has had his last hurrah. He sounds like he still wants to play at least one more year. If he's done in the NFL, no one has convinced him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelNutDave View Post
    He doesn't sound like a player who has had his last hurrah. He sounds like he still wants to play at least one more year. If he's done in the NFL, no one has convinced him yet.
    You don't think you could say that for Hines Ward?….And a host of others????

I'm not sure we would want to make the defense younger for the sake of making the defense younger? There has to be value to a 12 year vet playing limited snaps at the vet minimum. If a younger FA can come in and do better, fine, but they probably won't be available. This defense still needs an identity and keeping Keisel around helps that and I gotta think he would be good for the youngsters. Also for bringing Harrison in for 3rd down situations if it makes sense and we have the spot. But that would only be for talent if he has something in the take as he's such a jag, he wouldn't help the young guys at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff97 View Post
    You don't think you could say that for Hines Ward?….And a host of others????
    Point taken. But honestly, I think Keisel is still able to play at an NFL level & his experience could be invaluable to the young D-line players. Plus, the team is so thin at D-line right now, a context that Hines Ward and some other vets the team let go did not have going for them. After the draft, if the team is looking at Heyward as the only proven starter on the D-line (which I'm sure will be a matter of debate), having Keisel around would be a plus IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelNutDave View Post
    Point taken. But honestly, I think Keisel is still able to play at an NFL level & his experience could be invaluable to the young D-line players. Plus, the team is so thin at D-line right now, a context that Hines Ward and some other vets the team let go did not have going for them. After the draft, if the team is looking at Heyward as the only proven starter on the D-line (which I'm sure will be a matter of debate), having Keisel around would be a plus IMHO.
    As far as having Keisel around because of his experience….As Ed Bouchette always says…."That's what assistant coaches are there for."

I think Keisel could be brought back. What happens if Hayward goes down on the opening drive of the season? Or what happens if the young, not highly drafted Dlineman slotted for the DE spot opposite Hayward just don't progress?

This may be a bit apples and oranges, but look what happened when the Pacers cut Grainger. The assistant coaches haven't exactly kept the chemistry going. I would have to look at Bouchette's playing days to see how the chemistry was with his teammates.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12