Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Will the NFL actually allow a triple-header? Their TV policies are pretty ironclad, so I'm assuming if you get that UK game you're going to lose a 1PM game in those markets.
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom298 View Post
    Yea the logistics would be difficult to work out. Probably schedule them to do two games a trip to minimize travel. A Sunday game and following Thursday game
    I don't see the logistics being that big of an issue in the first place, but a Thursday game would be a non-option, since it would put the game during the middle of a work day in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by MKHawk View Post
    Will the NFL actually allow a triple-header? Their TV policies are pretty ironclad, so I'm assuming if you get that UK game you're going to lose a 1PM game in those markets.
    Anyone that gets it could still have a tripleheader, with one game in each time slot. Or, it could replace the 4pm game in some markets. Depends a lot on how teams are doing and the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Xulu Bak View Post
    I don't see the logistics being that big of an issue in the first place, but a Thursday game would be a non-option, since it would put the game during the middle of a work day in the US.
    I meant for the London team coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom298 View Post
    I meant for the London team coming here.
    Oh, right. Duh. I keep envisioning multiple EU teams, possibly even a full division. Although, with your scenario teams would probably complain about competitive fairness.

Quote Originally Posted by Xulu Bak View Post
    Oh, right. Duh. I keep envisioning multiple EU teams, possibly even a full division.
    I was thinking a full division might make the most sense too. Although having four expansion teams at once could prove difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    It would actually work out fine for an AFC/NFC East team like the Redskins, Eagles, Giants, Patriots, Jets, and/or Bills. Not too long of a plane ride. All of those teams fly to Dallas and Miami once a year already...and a Dallas/Miami flight is only about 3-4 hours LESS than a flight to London.
    I'm not talking about the travel time for a team like the Redskins....I am talking about the travel time for the team that played in England.

They would have to fly across the Atlantic 20 times a year as a team for games. As you say, its only 3-4 hours longer. But take that times 20 (the total amount of flights a team will take in the preseason & regular season). Then realize that most teams get short trips that the London team wouldn't get.

You add it all together and an NFL football player playing on a London team would spend well more than 100 hours during the course of the season in the air then a player playing in the the states.

Its not realistic. The NFL football season is way too much of a grind to think you can add 100 hours to a teams flight schedule and another 100-200 hours to the player's down time to be able to adjust for jet lag to think that a London team is feasible. You could field the team but no one would want to play there and the NFLPA would fight for hazard and OT pay for the unlucky player who are forced to play there.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    I'm not talking about the travel time for a team like the Redskins....I am talking about the travel time for the team that played in England.

They would have to fly across the Atlantic 20 times a year as a team for games. As you say, its only 3-4 hours longer. But take that times 20 (the total amount of flights a team will take in the preseason & regular season). Then realize that most teams get short trips that the London team wouldn't get.

You add it all together and an NFL football player playing on a London team would spend well more than 100 hours during the course of the season in the air then a player playing in the the states.

Its not realistic. The NFL football season is way too much of a grind to think you can add 100 hours to a teams flight schedule and another 100-200 hours to the player's down time to be able to adjust for jet lag to think that a London team is feasible. You could field the team but no one would want to play there and the NFLPA would fight for hazard and OT pay for the unlucky player who are forced to play there.

Good points. Just a few notes:

a.) A player would only need to fly 10 times (2 pre-season and 8 reg season games).

b.) A player could relocate to the UK...but I agree...who wants to live in the UK...I'd venture that you would need some kind of hazard pay like you mentioned or a tax break...
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

a.) A player would only need to fly 10 times (2 pre-season and 8 reg season games).
    I was counting as flying to and from England each time. So those 10 trips, they would have 20 total flights.

An NFL team just couldn't do it IMO. If they played a game in SF or Seattle for instance, they would be on a flight 11 hours to get there and 13 hours to get back to London. And that doesn't include the 8-16 hours that they would need to give the players off after they touch down in those NFL cities and back home to recover from such a flight and such a radical change in time.

...and let's not forget that, while the process is streamlined I am sure, there still would be more airport time for the team too as they would have to clear customs still each time out too.

Yeahhhhhhh, now we're talking.... Expand the NFL to 40 teams (Since we'd want two four-team divisions in Europe so the AFC and NFC could each have the inconvenience.. )...

Lessee: London, Paris, Berlin, Dublin, Amsterdam, Barcelona/Madrid, Stockholm and Frankfurt ('cause the Galaxy were a fine World League Franchise.)...
    "Yeah, everything that guy just said is Bullsh!t..... Thank you.." -Vincent LaGuardia Gambini-

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    I was counting as flying to and from England each time. So those 10 trips, they would have 20 total flights.

An NFL team just couldn't do it IMO. If they played a game in SF or Seattle for instance, they would be on a flight 11 hours to get there and 13 hours to get back to London. And that doesn't include the 8-16 hours that they would need to give the players off after they touch down in those NFL cities and back home to recover from such a flight and such a radical change in time.

...and let's not forget that, while the process is streamlined I am sure, there still would be more airport time for the team too as they would have to clear customs still each time out too.
    Gotcha.

Either way...I agree with you...keep American football in..America! I might be OK with slight expansion of the league...to maybe 40 teams MAX, but agree that they all should be in the U.S./Canada and maybe Mexico...
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Gotcha.

Either way...I agree with you...keep American football in..America! I might be OK with slight expansion of the league...to maybe 40 teams MAX, but agree that they all should be in the U.S./Canada and maybe Mexico...
    40 teams? Are you kidding? That would water the talent pool down even more.
    "I rooted for the Russians in 1980 because they were the better team." - Twolvesguy

Back when the World League was in it's first couple of years, the European teams would play their American road games in bunches of three. Do it that way and they'd only need three visits to the US a year.

Problem would be if they are involved in the playoffs - no byes in that scenario.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12