Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The only think I know about AT&T is that their service in the northern Pittsburgh area crushes Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint. Right now their customer service is respectable. That, I'm sure, will change as they grow.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Η ζωή ενός σκλάβου είναι όλοι καταλαβαίνετε, δεν ξέρεις τίποτα από την ελευθερία. Γιατί αν το κάνατε, θα μας ενθάρρυνε να πολεμήσουν, όχι μόνο με το δόρυ μας, αλλά και με ό, τι έχουμε.

It's happened.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101683281

With the superior levels of capital and resources at their disposal, I'm curious to see what AT&T can do with the foundation DirecTV has built.
    Last edited by Diamondeye; 05-19-2014 at 01:11 AM.

They can wring out all the awesome of DirecTV, because they can see some untapped profit potential somewhere, and proceed to make DirecTV a **** experience like ATT already provides.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbelt View Post
    They can wring out all the awesome of DirecTV, because they can see some untapped profit potential somewhere, and proceed to make DirecTV a **** experience like ATT already provides.
    It was no doubt a great profit opportunity, but I feel you're misinformed if you are so automatically willing to assume that AT&T will merely milk the current cow, and not aim to breed a better one.

I have no idea where you've acquired this idea that AT&T is this incompetent firm. They know what they're doing.

i love those direct tv commercials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpwlh1yl054

Diamond. I went through this before with Cingular.
    Sure, they will be profitable. But they'll tear out DirecTV's heart.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbelt View Post
    Diamond. I went through this before with Cingular.
    Sure, they will be profitable. But they'll tear out DirecTV's heart.
    Like I said, you're assuming too much.

What incentive do they have to "tear the heart" out of the current product?

There is much more incentive in them using their vast resources to take the product to the next level and put the likes of Dish, Comcast and even Amazon and Hulu, out of their misery once and for all.

As both a longterm T shareholder and DTV subscriber, I'm excited about this, though I'm aware this acquisition will likely hurt my stock investment in the very short term.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondeye View Post
    Like I said, you're assuming too much.

What incentive do they have to "tear the heart" out of the current product?

There is much more incentive in them using their vast resources to take the product to the next level and put the likes of Dish, Comcast and even Amazon and Hulu, out of their misery once and for all.

As both a longterm T shareholder and DTV subscriber, I'm excited about this, though I'm aware this acquisition will likely hurt my stock investment in the very short term.
    They won't be putting the stream sites out of business. People don't need satellite or cable anymore.
    The stand your ground law is like bleach. It works miracles for whites but it'll ruin your colors.

Companies like Comcast, ATT and Time Warner need broken up, not allowed to grow bigger.
    DTV is a target for acquisition to remove a kink in their regional monopolies. A competeitor who they have been losing business to because their overpriced product sucks so much already.

Just like ATT was a big part of destroying telephone competition, they look to be following Comcast's lead in destroying the little tv/internet competition we have.
    Our prices and service won't improve under monopoly.

AT&T is by far the best wireless provider, so I don't know why you're worried about them destroying DirecTV. They're just trying to create a vertical to compete with the likes of Comcast.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Comcast shouldn't have been allowed NBC Universal in the first place. They shouldn't be allowed Time Warner.

How far are we going to go to allow Telecom Company X compete with Company Y?

After these two, who does Verizon want to stay competitive? Sprint and Dish Network? Maybe Comcast then needs to gobble up ATT-DirecTV after that, since they aren't already in the wireless market. They gotta stay in the game, you know.

Then maybe another company like Disney, Samsung, Apple or Walmart can buy one of those two remaining syndicates.

We are getting very close to being back to what we broke into 8 pieces in 1984
    Rise and Fall of Telephone Competition
    It's really just ATT and Verizon. They already refuse to compete against each other. It takes the remainder of the small national carriers, T-Mobile and Sprint to get any changes in the industry. And T-Mobile is under constant threat for a buyout, and Sprint already got bought by Softbank. We need more competition in all these spheres, not less.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12