Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderspirit View Post
    i'm not much of a Nix fan.

that said, his game does resemble former Jaguar Terrance Knighton, whom Mel Tucker plunked into the middle of his defense in Jacksonville.

actually, that might be an interesting experiment. hmm.
    Right, but as TB pointed out....who is going to generate that inside pass rush? I think it's a foregone conclusion that Donald will be gone by 14 and the Bears aren't in a position to give up draft picks to get him. IMO, if the players that were available at 14 were, Pryor, Dennard, Fuller and Nix meaning Donald, Gilbert and Dix were taken....I have Pryor rated higher than all of them, so I would lean towards him. I think Nix is a little overhyped - yes he's big and fat, but that doesn't equate to productivity, technique and leverage. Which are skills that he has a lot of questions about at the next level. Not to mention his knee injury, which can't be a good thing for 340+ pound guy.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by DaSuperfan View Post
    Right, but as TB pointed out....who is going to generate that inside pass rush? I think it's a foregone conclusion that Donald will be gone by 14 and the Bears aren't in a position to give up draft picks to get him. IMO, if the players that were available at 14 were, Pryor, Dennard, Fuller and Nix meaning Donald, Gilbert and Dix were taken....I have Pryor rated higher than all of them, so I would lean towards him. I think Nix is a little overhyped - yes he's big and fat, but that doesn't equate to productivity, technique and leverage. Which are skills that he has a lot of questions about at the next level. Not to mention his knee injury, which can't be a good thing for 340+ pound guy.
    not disagreeing with ya, DaSup, about the inside pass rush. just pointing out what history might indicate for a draft pick.
    Your Chicago Bears: still learning about this newfangled thing called the "forward pass."

okay, with the Combine/pro day numbers i have, i made some comparisons to see who might be a similar type of player to former Jaguar/current Bronco Terrance Knighton, working under the presumption that he's the kind of guy Mel Tucker likes inside (which is hardly a given, but that's the presumption for this exercise).

Knighton's 2009 Combine: 6-3, 321 (body mass index 51.28), 5.22 40 (1.76 10-yd split), 4.78 short shuttle, 7.91 3-cone, 28" vj, 8.58 broad.

two prospects came within 3% of each metric of Knighton's BMI (size), 10-yard split (burst), vertical/broad jump (explosion factors), and agility times: Levi Brown of Temple and little-known Tim Wilkinson of N Arizona (a fireplug if there ever was one — guy's just shy of 5-10 but 291 pounds).

Ego Ferguson, Zach Kerr, Bruce Gaston, Mike Pennel, and Ken Bishop each missed one mark (short shuttle for Ferguson, 10-yard split for Gaston and Pennel, broad jump for Bishop and Kerr). DaQuan Jones missed both the 10-yard split and the vertical jump threshold; Justin Ellis missed both the 10-yard split and the broad jump threshold; and Ryan Carrethers missed both the broad and vertical jump thresholds.

none of these names are Day 1 prospects, and most aren't even in the mix for Day 2 picks (closest would be Ferguson and Jones, with Ellis possible but a long shot). also, none are as disruptive as Aaron Donald either, nor are they especially adept at QB pressure. furthermore, of course, there's the premise itself — a Knighton-type might be the exception rather than the rule in Tucker's ideal.

but hey, we gotta fill up these extra two weeks with something, right?
    Your Chicago Bears: still learning about this newfangled thing called the "forward pass."

okay, with the Combine/pro day numbers i have, i made some comparisons to see who might be a similar type of player to former Jaguar/current Bronco Terrance Knighton, working under the presumption that he's the kind of guy Mel Tucker likes inside (which is hardly a given, but that's the presumption for this exercise).

Ego Ferguson, Zach Kerr, Bruce Gaston, Mike Pennel, and Ken Bishop each missed one mark (short shuttle for Ferguson, 10-yard split for Gaston and Pennel, broad jump for Bishop and Kerr). DaQuan Jones missed both the 10-yard split and the vertical jump threshold; Justin Ellis missed both the 10-yard split and the broad jump threshold; and Ryan Carrethers missed both the broad and vertical jump thresholds.
    What about Mister Cobble? (Yes, this is just an excuse to say his name.)

okay, smart@ss: Cobble would fall short on every metric except for BMI.

plus, i think he needs to go to Tampa to play with Major Wrong.

Knighton's 2009 Combine: 6-3, 321 (body mass index 51.28), 5.22 40 (1.76 10-yd split), 4.78 short shuttle, 7.91 3-cone, 28" vj, 8.58 broad.

two prospects came within 3% of each metric of Knighton's BMI (size), 10-yard split (burst), vertical/broad jump (explosion factors), and agility times: Levi Brown of Temple and little-known Tim Wilkinson of N Arizona (a fireplug if there ever was one — guy's just shy of 5-10 but 291 pounds).

none of these names are Day 1 prospects, and most aren't even in the mix for Day 2 picks (closest would be Ferguson and Jones, with Ellis possible but a long shot). also, none are as disruptive as Aaron Donald either, nor are they especially adept at QB pressure. furthermore, of course, there's the premise itself — a Knighton-type might be the exception rather than the rule in Tucker's ideal.

but hey, we gotta fill up these extra two weeks with something, right?
    Since you brought up Knighton, how about the 1st round pick the Jags used on Tyson Alualu? He doesn't seem to fit the big, fat, wide bodied DT at 6'3 295. Although he's not a great player, I don't think you can discount anything at this point with regards to the type of DT the Bears are looking for.

true, he does not.

he basically was the Jags' version of Lamar Houston under Tucker, moving between end and tackle. the Jags currently have him listed at LE under Gus Bradley.

i'm not discounting anything, really; just looking for trends to indicate what the Bears might want.

true, he does not.

he basically was the Jags' version of Lamar Houston under Tucker, moving between end and tackle. the Jags currently have him listed at LE under Gus Bradley.

i'm not discounting anything, really; just looking for trends to indicate what the Bears might want.
    It's so tough to gauge, honestly. I've just about had it with the wait - this Draft can't get here soon enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12