Mock Draft Fantasy Land

Let's say that the NFL draft goes like this and Aaron Donald and Clinton-Dix go right above us. Phil Emery is not happy as he wanted one of those two. Tempted as he is to jump on Jake Matthews, Fuller, Dennard or Pryor, he picks up his frantically ringing phone. It's the Bengals, who want to move up. Phil isn't sure what they have in mind although he thinks they have their eye on one of the CBs, but that's not his focus. He figures that by moving down to 24 and getting 55 as well, he should be able to get a quality player there according to his chart. He pulls the trigger, giving the Bears 24, 51 and 55 in the first 2 rounds.

On the way to pick 24, things don't go well. The good OTs and CBs all go away. He thought Hageman might drop. But no dice. If nothing else, he might've taken a swing at Mosely here, but he's also gone. Calvin Pryor is very tempting here as the S need is undeniable. But he has 2 #2s and a good S should fall into the 50's. Besides, Pryor isn't on top of Phil's list. Phil has really wanted a DT, particularly one who could firm up the run D. With a pile of newly signed FA DEs, including 2 who can rush the passer from the inside, Phil fills a need and take's a player who will not only add size and sturdiness up the middle, but will also increase scheme versatility, both of which we lack at DT.

With the 24th pick of the NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select Louis Nix III, DT Notre Dame.

With that out of the way, Phil sits and watches the picks come off the board. After seeing things not go his way so far, the tables take a dramatic turn for the better. The players that go at the end of R1 are mostly players that didn't pique his interest, other than Jason Verrett. But R1 ends with Calvin Pryor is STILL available and now at the top of Phil's "best available". This is great news, because it should push other Ss down. Still, there are 18 picks before #51 and teams often look for them in R2, particularly expected in this draft.

Fortunately for Houston, there's a whole overnight between R1 and R2. Phil decides he has nothing to lose and texts Rick Smith, their GM. Smith doesn't respond for 40 minutes. Emery correctly assumes that they are taking advantage of the day delay and shopping the pick. Smith makes it clear that his haggling threshold is getting thin and wants Phil to cut to the chase, at which point he offers #51 and #82 for #33. Smith appreciates Emery's straight-forwardness and non-low ball first offer, but tells him he has a slightly better offer on the table. They kick it around a bit more and Smith tells him that it's about time for him to give it up and go have a drink. Knowing that there's a lot of competition and figuring Houston is looking for picks, Phil makes his final offer, throwing in both 6th rounders in addition, making it a 4 for 1 deal. Smith agrees and orders a gin and tonic with a relief driven smile.

With the 33rd pick of the 2014 NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select Calvin Pryor, S Louisville

With 22 picks before their next pick, Phil sips his soda and waits, watching many interesting players deservedly come off the board. But he can't waste time or energy imagining how Tuitt, Shazier, Joyner or Amaro would've looked in a Bears uni. Much to his surprise, the good remaining Ss he didn't think would fall, were falling. As his pick arrives, Phil is really tempted to choose the player with the highest talent grade on his board Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Instead, he goes with the player with the higher total grade due to the lack of character concerns and doubles down on a talent who ironically is from the same state.

With the 55th pick of the 2014 NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select Deone Buchannon, S Washington State

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How's that sound for the first 3 rounds?

Go ahead. Scream and yell. Tell us what you'd do instead. Or make up your own fictional draft day drama.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

Man... we have too much time to think about this draft... come on and get here already! I think we should draft the following:

Round 1: Aaron Donald
    Round 2: Justin Gilbert
    Round 3: Khalil Mack
    Round 4: Sammy Watkins
    Round 5: Eric Ebron
    Round 6: Deone Bucannon
    Round 6: Blake Bortles

I know what you're thinking. Stinks that we couldn't find our back up running back or center of the future. Too many holes left for us.

Well, with those picks, I'd have drafted:

24. Calvin Pryor
    51. Will Sutton
    55. Deone Bucannon
    82. Stanley Jean-Baptiste
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by DaSuperfan View Post
    Well, with those picks, I'd have drafted:

24. Calvin Pryor
    51. Will Sutton
    55. Deone Bucannon
    82. Stanley Jean-Baptiste
    1. We traded #51 and #82.
    2. Jean-Baptiste went #44.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

Oh sorry, I meant to say I wouldn't have traded back up to 33. In my scenario, I'd have made the trade with Cincy but just drafted players. Here's my re-do:

24. Calvin Pryor
    51. Keith McGill
    55. Will Sutton
    82. Kelcy Quarles
    117. De'Anthony Thomas
    156. Aaron Murray

Although the players originally drafted in the mock without trades for the Bears was pretty decent.

14. Kyle Fuller
    51. Jimmie Ward
    82. EJ Gaines
    117. Justin Ellis
    156. Aaron Murray
    Last edited by DaSuperfan; 04-28-2014 at 10:10 PM.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by toooverbearing View Post
    Man... we have too much time to think about this draft... come on and get here already!
    This about sums it up...

Quote Originally Posted by toooverbearing View Post
    Man... we have too much time to think about this draft... come on and get here already!
    How true is that?!?!

Well that would be a pretty sweet first 2 rounds of the draft. I think Jernigan would more than likely be the pick in the 1st though.
    BEAR DOWN..................... AND WHILE YOU'RE DOWN THERE.....