Tea Party Leaders Living High on the Hog

When the Tea Party Patriots threw its support last month behind Matt Bevin, the underdog conservative challenger trying to unseat top Senate Republican Mitch McConnell, President Jenny Beth Martin vowed the group would be “putting our money where our mouth is.”

So far, its super PAC has mustered just $56,000 worth of mailers in Kentucky on Bevin’s behalf — less than half the amount it has paid Martin in consulting fees since July...

Out of the $37.5 million spent so far by the PACs of six major tea party organizations, less than $7 million has been devoted to directly helping candidates, according to the analysis, which was based on campaign finance data provided by the Sunlight Foundation...
    Meanwhile, tea party leaders and their family members have been paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in consulting fees, while their groups have doled out large sums for airfare, a retirement plan and even interior decorating...

Three well-known groups — the Tea Party Patriots, the Tea Party Express and the Madison Project — have spent 5 percent or less of their money directly on election-related activity during this election cycle...

Tea Party Patriots...Martin, the super PAC’s chairwoman, oversees all its expenditures, according to Broughton, meaning she sets her own $15,000 monthly fee for strategic consulting — payments that have totaled $120,000 since July.

She also draws a salary as president of the Tea Party Patriots’ nonprofit arm — getting more than $272,000 in the 2012 fiscal year, according to the group’s most recent tax filing.

Her twin salaries put her on track to make more than $450,000 this year, a dramatic change in lifestyle for the tea party activist, who had filed for bankruptcy in 2008 and then cleaned homes for a period of time to bring in extra money.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...b57_story.html
    Last edited by RayClay; 04-28-2014 at 02:49 AM.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

Not surprising in the least.

Same reason people should investigate which charities they donate to actually spend that money properly.
    “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” -Gandhi

Rational skepticism is not the same thing as being a conspiracy theorist.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream. -Muggeridge

So that's why they've been so quiet.
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

Yeah this isn't particularly surprising or notable. Pretty common for most groups.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    Yeah this isn't particularly surprising or notable. Pretty common for most groups.
    How you going to keep 'em down on the farm, after they've seen D.C.?
    and a one point plan.

Don't see Clinton living in Arkansas.
    I promise I won't do it again

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Don't see Clinton living in Arkansas.
    Bill was out of Arkansas in his mind a long time before he left.

Of course, this would be the election when all those new mavericks were not going to run for re-election, right?
    and a one point plan.

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    Bill was out of Arkansas in his mind a long time before he left.

Of course, this would be the election when all those new mavericks were not going to run for re-election, right?
    lol, yeah. They were going to change Washington and leave. Goofballs. Like Hope and Change can be more than a slogan, eh?

lol, yeah. They were going to change Washington and leave. Goofballs. Like Hope and Change can be more than a slogan, eh?
    Hope and change works if you've got a tin cup and a good corner.
    and a one point plan.

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    Hope and change works if you've got a tin cup and a good corner.

I made the mistake of buying a shovel.

I made the mistake of buying a shovel.
    Don't be modest. You shovel it with the best of 'em.
    and a one point plan.