Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lats!!!!

This draft is HUGE for us. They better not fk it up.

In Chip and Howie I trust!

Mamula was indeed highly productive, but he should have been a third round pick, and that is reportedly where many teams had him before his stellar combine and offseason workouts. Hopefully Latimer is not the Mamula of wideouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggloo View Post
    Mamula was indeed highly productive, but he should have been a third round pick, and that is reportedly where many teams had him before his stellar combine and offseason workouts. Hopefully Latimer is not the Mamula of wideouts.
    Everyone's boards are different ... I'm sure some teams have a few guys in Rd 3 on their boards who will go in Rd 1 this year. The draft is a crapshoot ... always has been and always will be. You draft the guys whom you think have the game that will translate well to the next level.

I think Latimer's rise was more from going in the mid 2nd to rising to late first/early 2nd after great interviews and work outs solidified what everyone saw on tape. I don't believe the hype that he went from a 3rd-5th round prospect to a late 1st/early 2nd -- like others said, that rise was media based and everyone catching up to what the progressional scouts already knew.

Latimer is a 6'2 215lb guy with really good athletic ability and good vertical speed, he has good acceleration and he's a really smooth and fluid athlete, he has great hops and the ability to high point the ball - great hands and he makes tough contested catches, physical player, savvy route runner and a good blocker, on top of that he's a great kid with a great work ethic. It's hard not to love a player like that. I really like Beckham Jr, Brandin Cooks, Latimer, A.Robinson and J.Matthews for this team

Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    Everyone's boards are different ... I'm sure some teams have a few guys in Rd 3 on their boards who will go in Rd 1 this year.
    Bingo. This is really the crux of how players seem to rise and fall drastically. There are 32 GM's and scouting departments. I'm sure some of them still have Latimer as a 3rd rounder. However, a few teams have obviously rated him higher and now you have the media talking about him as a potential late first round pick. Different strokes.

Some people including Latimer himself are comparing him to Keenan Allen and saying he could have a similar impact. He is obviously faster. But I don't see him lasting nearly as long on draft day.

In addition to his speed issues, there was a report that Allen had an excessive water level on his drug test which would suggest he was trying to disguise use. In addition, he reportedly interviewed poorly with teams.

K Allen ran a 4.71 at his pro day as opposed to 4.4 for Latimer ... both to me are very similar aside from speed where Lats has the edge.

Yea, Allen fell due to some character concerns.

I think that Latimer was not thought of as a 3rd rounder, except that this draft is so loaded with WRs, and without him participating in all the drills at the Combine, he was placed in the middle of the pack by many scouts. After his pro day, he showed up very strong.

He will be an Eagle - guaranteed!!

(I hope)! ;)

Here's kind of what I've never understood when they say a player has a meteoric rise or what have you ... who's original list is everyone going by??? It's not like Mayock, Kiper or anyone else of importance does a preseason or even midseason 7 round value chart. So who sets these initial values where players are supposedly rising from? Are we going by sites with joe blows doing ratings like CBS Sports or Walter Football? Most of those guys probably don't watch as much football as a few people on this site ....
    It's just the media jerking themselves off. It's actually made up, just their guess at some point in time. They are late to the party because they finally realized that all the teams liked Latimer way more than most of the draft media was talking about.

He's going in the 1st.
    Last edited by eaglesnut; 04-28-2014 at 02:58 PM.

I think players do move up and down a bit during Combines ... interviews etc... but barring unknown attitude or conduct issues I don't think players go from being 4th or 5th rounders to possible 1st rounders because they ran a good 40 like Latimer did or because they had a good pro bowl like Dee Ford did. It's due to the Web Draft Niks (which is where most fans get their info) not being aware of how good some players really are ... thus rating them much lower than real scouts have them.
    What also happens is the numbers they put up in workouts makes teams go back and re-examine the tape.

I thought Latimer was awesome all along as I know we talked about him multiple times during the college football season... However there are so many big name Wr's coming out of big programs that Lats was the forgotten man. Not forgotten by the same 3 of us that drooled over his skills during the season. I would love to have Lats in eagle green!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123