Thread: Net Neutrality

Net Neutrality

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/23/tech...html?hpt=hp_t2

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    Federal regulators plan to propose new rules Thursday that would allow Internet providers to create a "fast lane" for certain websites and services.
    I haven't really been following this (yet) so I won't have much to say until I learn more.

The leadership positions of the FCC and those of the companies they regulate is just a game of musical chairs.

So none of this is surprising.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Once in a while the EU and European Parliament does something useful, and they just past a law banning such practice. Of course the free marketeers (neoliberals/conservatives, European equivalent of Republicans) faction's original proposal left loopholes so wide to in fact create a law identical to the one proposed here. It was the left wingers as well as some socially liberals within parliament who torpedoed that and added an amendment to impose net neutralit (which in the Netherlands is already law).
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

As long as the baseline level of service is a reasonable level, I dont see any issue with this.

But of course it wont be as internet providers will just grease the palms of these regulators to ensure they can slow down the speed enough to where a ton of services will have to purchase a way into the higher speed freeway.

The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

I've been following this somewhat and I think something needs to be agreed upon based on reality, or the whole internet experience will suffer.

I don't want corporations taking over high speed internet; on the other hand, why pay for a premium streaming movie service that buffers all the time?

If I'm misunderstanding the alternatives, please let me know.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

This is really just all about the providers over subscribing their networks. They give 1000 customers 50 MB of bandwidth each (50 GB total) figuring they won't use most of it, but then they connect those users upstream to a network with maybe 2 or 4 or 10 GB of bandwidth, so they start to limit the big users (streamers) to avoid mass congestion. They want laws enacted that lets them do this legally. I'd rather see Congress actually learn whats happening for real and force the networks to provide what you pay for, even if it ends up costing a little more.

We do this in our data centers - over subscribe based on the assumption that not everyone will use all their bandwidth at the same time - its called 95th percentile bursting. But we take that risk that they will all burst at once, and we limit our risk by making sure we have tons of bandwidth so the over subscription level is low. In the case of home internet providers like Cox and TW and Comcast, if everyone comes home from work and turns on HBO Go or Netflix at the same time and the provider bogs down, they simply need more bandwidth, but hey, that costs money so lets go lobby Congress to let us restrict the big bandwidth users instead.
    Last edited by KickSave; 04-24-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    "What's so funny about peace , love and understanding?" - Elvis Costello

You should get both. We have terrible broadband in this country compared to other industrialized nations. The ISP's give us the minimum LOS possible, and have a monopoly for your business. They have bought up, driven off or made illegal any competition. The large cable companies have virtually no overlap, by design. Look at the #1 and 2, who are trying to merge, Comcast and Time Warner. Their territories are virtually exclusive of each other. That doesn't happen without collusion. Most states now have laws to prevent regional governments from setting up their own ISPs. And new laws outlawed the ones that do exist. There just aren't any actual options for anyone. They have made it so they don't have to share the cable infrastructure with competitors. That is what really helped South Korea become the world leader in internet, common use broadband lines. We have to sit and take whatever subpar service they offer.

And, in many states billions in tax breaks were given to companies like Comcast and Verizon to run higher levels of service, like Fiber. But they reneged on the deals, kept the money, and the states never bothered to come after them for compliance.

We shouldn't be looking at an either/or.

Oh yeah, I was listening to a great piece on NPR the other day.... in most of the rest of the world, you can shop for internet access just like you can shop for a cell phone. There are kiosks in the malls and you get to choose which ISP you want to service your house. True competition. Here in the US we have let the cable providers keep their monopolies due to local arrangements with local govts. Its utter crap for consumers and competition. As soon as that regulation gets thrown out, we'll see competition and that will improve service levels.
    "What's so funny about peace , love and understanding?" - Elvis Costello