Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The thing about Dennard that holds me back is that I don't like his height. You need 6 foot plus corners now. To tackle well, to be physical on wide receivers, that's just what you need. I'd much more prefer Gilbert then Dennard but I think Gilbert will go to the Lions or Bears.

I do agree about Beckham. If Beckham had Ben to throw to him, he and Brown would be terrorizing the field but down in the red zone, you would still be deficient in another big target other then Miller.
    Daniel Snyder is a curse.

You don't need 6 foot plus corners lets not be silly. Just because Richard Sherman is 6' 3" doesn't mean they all have to be that tall.

if we can get the top CB on the board, take him.
    The Leafies are Scumbags.

People talk about Dennard being "slow". He ran an official 4.51 at the combine which is hardly slow by standards set by other top CB's in today's NFL. Joe Haden ran a 4.52. Richard Sherman ran a 4.54. Alterraun Verner ran a 4.52 etc...

He had a 36 inch vert and 11'2'' broad jump which shows he has big time explosion. He's a strong tackler and an overall physical player. I like him at 15 a lot.

More and more mocks have Gilbert falling to 15. I'm seeing mostly Dennard/Gilbert from some pretty knowledgable folks. We'll see if either is there come draft day. We've had luck in the past with talented guys falling to us. I'm hoping it rings true again.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

Dennard doesn't have the blazing speed but he is fast enough and better in run support than any other CB in the draft. He has a number of things to learn, bites on the run sometimes to quickly. Needs to be more consistent, but he has the skills to start and do well.

It is all a preference thing at CB like any position really. You have the top guys and when teams wanting corners are picking they will take the guy that fits their needs not the guy listed first always. I still have Gilbert and Dennard listed as top two, but Fuller and Roby seem to be on a number of teams lists and even Verrett is showing up in Rd 1.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

with all the passing going on in today's NFL you can bet that CBs are in demand.....big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom298 View Post
    You don't need 6 foot plus corners lets not be silly. Just because Richard Sherman is 6' 3" doesn't mean they all have to be that tall.
    Has nothing to do with Sherman. Has more to do with Rod Woodson.LOL. Ideally, you want a corner who's 6 feet, can jam at the line of scrimmage and can cover. Dennard is under 6 feet and isn't fast. Not the characteristics you'd want in a cornerback.

well there isn't a Woodson in this CB class IMO......

if Dennard could become the next Antoine Winfield that would be alright...

For the schemes that Lebeau runs, I'd take Gilbert over Dennard. And word is that LeBeau likes Roby more then Dennard too. So apparently, he's seeing similar things about Dennard too.

There is no sure thing at cornerback in this years draft. So all things being even, Id take the guy with the physical attributes that you'd want in a #1 cornerback. Give me the 6 foot guy all things being equal. If Gilbert is there, Steelers should take him.

Haden is 5'11. Revis is 5'11. Flowers is 5'10. Verner is 5'10".

You can try to argue that Dennard doesn't have the speed, although as its been noted above he ran alright. But you cant argue he won't succeed because he's not 6 feet tall.
    Last edited by Freedom298; 04-23-2014 at 04:45 PM.

I'm just saying that if all things are equal in this draft, that's the way I'd go. Of course there have been great corners who are not 6 feet. No one is disputing that.

Put me in the "I don't care how tall he is, I want the best CB" camp. If it's the 5'9" Verrett, so be it. Reminds me of the drafting of WRs. give me the Heinz Wards and Antonio Browns of the world over the Fred Gibsons and Limas Sweeds of the world. Size is a bigger issue in the trenches than it is out in space.

I would argue there are many more great corners just under 6' than over. Richard Sherman is the exception, not the new rule. I think it's pure coincidence that the Seahawks have a bunch of tall corners. Not like they drafted these guys in the first round. Their probowl FS is 5' 10" and is only one of 4 DBs on the roster under 6'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12