Thread: Excel problem

Excel problem

Twice now, I've had large Excel files go kablooey, getting this error message:

"Excel found unreadable content in filename.xls. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook?"

The damn program was able to read the content just fine yesterday. I have a backup, so I'm not concerned about losing the data, but does anyone know if this is a compatibility issue (the program's in 2010, and from my laptop, but my office computer has 2007) and how to keep it from happening and fix it when it does?
    “There are two laws of the universe: the law of gravity and everybody likes Italian food.”—Neil Simon

I would look at the autorecover feature that they have first. I turn that feature off on most of the office programs because of similar issues when working acoss different versions of office here at work.

Are you working off a file that is shared on a network or one that you are using locally on the different computers?
    Last edited by ducky; 04-11-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Sounds like a conversion problem. If you have macros and VBS scripts especially converting versions of excel can be dicey.

Save to the file type Excel 2007 workbook on your newer computer so you're not converting back and forth. That may help.
    The cake is a lie. I'm pretty sure the numbers in the pie chart are made up too.

Have had a similar issue before with Excel. It was a formatting/conversion issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Sounds like a conversion problem. If you have macros and VBS scripts especially converting versions of excel can be dicey.

Save to the file type Excel 2007 workbook on your newer computer so you're not converting back and forth. That may help.
    Terrific. How do I do that?

And thanks for the responses, guys.
    “There are two laws of the universe: the law of gravity and everybody likes Italian food.”—Neil Simon

Save the file as a .xls file when saving in Excel 2010 so you'll be able to open in Excel 2007 without that message.

Excel 2010 uses the .xlsx extension.....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

When you go to "save as" you have a drop-down option list to choose the file type. Choose "Excel 92-2003 Workbook (*.xls)"

It should work the same for all basic stuff you're doing.
    The cake is a lie. I'm pretty sure the numbers in the pie chart are made up too.

This is a common problem.... there is a hotfix (depending on your version) that may solve this problem from happening again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2544025/en-us

Issues that this hotfix package fixes

In Excel 2010, when you run a Macro to assign the Range.Formula property of a range to array element, the Macro may stop responding.
    The sparkline does not print when you print an entire workbook in Excel 2010.
    A typing delay occurs in an Excel 2010 worksheet that contains camera objects or picture links.
    A certain Excel Add-in that depends on a new Excel 2010 event is loaded in Excel 2010. When another Excel 2007 Add-in is loaded, the event is not called. An example of such an event is the WorkbookAfterSave event.
    When you try to open a .xls file in Excel 2010 that contains more than 999 unnamed styles, you receive the following error message:

Excel found unreadable content in '<File name>.xls'. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook?
    "What's so funny about peace , love and understanding?" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in NYC View Post
    Twice now, I've had large Excel files go kablooey, getting this error message:

"Excel found unreadable content in filename.xls. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook?"

The damn program was able to read the content just fine yesterday. I have a backup, so I'm not concerned about losing the data, but does anyone know if this is a compatibility issue (the program's in 2010, and from my laptop, but my office computer has 2007) and how to keep it from happening and fix it when it does?
    Assuming you are using W7, try this compatibility pack: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-c6bb74cd1466

My computer's on W7, my office computer's on XP.