Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin Lombardi View Post
    The mayor of Chicago is the President's former Chief of Staff. They are one of the most anti-2nd amendment cities in the country.
    Yep; he was CoS to a center-right president. Nothing liberal about that. And even if I thought that the 2nd amendment is a liberal/conservative issue (it's not), you're just cherrypicking there.

Look at economic policy, housing policy, education policy.

Most notably, Democrats have ruled over Chicago as mayor since 1931. Every Chicago alderman is a Democrat. Previous to 2011 there had only been one Republican alderman in at least two decades.
    Which is why those Democrats greeted the liberal wing of their party with such warmth in 1968, huh?

There's nothing liberal about Chicago Democrats. Nothing especially conservative, either, at the end of the day. Party affiliation is a conduit of power. Period.

Being a Democrat in Chicago says absolutely nothing about your politics. It's a hint as to where you get your clout. That's it.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. Thereís a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if weíre not better it isnít because there arenít plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    Being a Democrat in Chicago says absolutely nothing about your politics. It's a hint as to where you get your clout. That's it.
    Exactly. Here in Hoboken, the voters are so overwhelmingly Democratic that elections are non-affiliated.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    Yep; he was CoS to a center-right president. Nothing liberal about that.
    I can see why we disagree here, then. No need to start a tangent on Obama, though, but it does explain our differences on Chicago.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Expensive cities are difficult for poor people.

Black people are disproportionately poor.

Is this really that complicated?

Quote Originally Posted by Predicto View Post

Conversely, there are more job opportunities in large cities, and more assistance being given out due to higher taxation of the wealthy in these expensive cities.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Conversely, there are more job opportunities in large cities, and more assistance being given out due to higher taxation of the wealthy in these expensive cities.
    And converse-conversely (??), larger cities have more numbers of wealthy people are able to insulate themselves in protected communities as a result of high real estate costs. These communities are able to provide an environmental advantage to the kids of the wealthy that perpetuates the issue.

Which is what I was saying earlier in the thread, the same factors that perpetuate poverty in these 'liberal' midwestern and northern cities also exist in other cities in the US.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

I'm not sure about the former, and the latter makes absolutely no sense. Chicago doesn't levy an income tax (no city in Illinois does...though the Tribune, a paper so conservative that its owner once tried to outlaw babushkas, is pushing for one). No city in Massachusetts does. No city in California does.

Birmingham, Alabama does, along with NYC. And Wilmington, Delaware.

Why? I don't know off the top of my head, and I'm surprised that anyone would pretend to without a little substantiation.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. Thereís a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if weíre not better it isnít because there arenít plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

Is there a chart somewhere that separates liberal cities from conservative cities?

Or are we just making the assumption that a city in a blue state is liberal and city in a red state is conservative?
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Is there a single major city that isn't liberal?
    Tell me where the bomb is or I will kill your son.

"Responsibility without conviction is weak, but it is sane. Conviction without responsibility, in the current incarnation of the Republican Party, is raving mad."

Does Wasilla, Alaska count? It borders Russia, and creates American luvin', God worshippin', gun totin' freedom lovers.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    Is there a chart somewhere that separates liberal cities from conservative cities?

Or are we just making the assumption that a city in a blue state is liberal and city in a red state is conservative?
    Boy, this sounds familiar. :)

Quote Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
    Is there a single major city that isn't liberal?
    That's kinda where I'm going with this.

I think the writer is cherrypicking and arbitrarily assigning political affiliations to cities.

Just reading through the report...

http://iamempowered.com/sites/all/th...Pgs/index.html

The ranking for latino employment equality has such conservative bastions as Portland and Madison WI. Just looking over the charts I sure do see any actual trend.

I can see why we disagree here, then. No need to start a tangent on Obama, though, but it does explain our differences on Chicago.
    The Right must be extremely talented. Without even doing anything they turned the liberal wunderkind savior into a center-right man. Well that proves it. The Right is simply superior.

Clearly black people should all move to Sanford or Jacksonville Florida.
    The stand your ground law is like bleach. It works miracles for whites but it'll ruin your colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Predicto View Post

Nope, really not at all complicated, bordering on obvious. ;)
    Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12