Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I havent shed a tear in 20+ years.

I'm not an emotional guy to begin with but I also have extremely dry eyes. I can't shed a tear even if the occassion calls for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppaPump View Post
    I have found myself becoming more emotional as I get older. It is weird because there are some days I just feel more emotional and weird stuff will set me off. I used to be a much more cold person emotionally and feel having kids has opened me up to a long hidden emotional well that now cannot be buried again.
    Agree X10

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    I havent shed a tear in 20+ years.

I'm not an emotional guy to begin with but I also have extremely dry eyes. I can't shed a tear even if the occassion calls for it.
    "And if there is nothing that can so hide the face of our fellow-man as morality can, religion can hide from us as nothing else can the face of God." -- Martin Buber

"You do not like religion; we started from that assumption. But in conducting an honest battle against it, which is not completely without effort, you do not want to have fought against a shadow like the one with which we have struggled." -- Friedrich Schleiermacher

[QUOTE=Lofaw;6372144]1. Are you an emotional guy? On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 crying over everything and 1 you never cry including when a loved one dies where do you stand?

Hard to put a number on it. It's situational. I'd say a 3 under most circumstances. Maybe lower. I don't cry about real stuff, even personal tragedy. I don't think I've ever cried when someone died, though I don't know too many people who have. But it could be higher. I cry a lot, I think. Just not at the things that other people cry about.

2a. When was the last time you cried? (meaning shed more then a tear) (Doesn't need to be exact, but maybe something like when your Dad passed away or your wife left you)
    b. When was the last time you were emotional and held crying in? (meaning you shed a single tear, but held a real cry in)

Not sure. Probably pretty recently. Maybe watching American Beauty a couple of weeks ago. Maybe at a sappy commercial. I can be set off pretty easily, though it tends to be in instances of sublime beauty, especially if that beauty is tinged with sadness or loss. I rarely hold it in, unless I'm preaching. I write sermons and liturgy from the heart, so I get choked up sometimes. But I have to hold it in; I can't break down in a service. A little emotion makes you human and relatable; too much makes you awkward and off-putting.

3. How many times per year would you say you at least shed a tear?

25?

4. Do you cry during movies? Is there any movie or movies that gets you every time? (Even if it's just shedding a tear)

Yes. Absolutely. I think for me, it's not just an event itself, such as a death, but the meaning and context in which the event is framed. That makes constructed pieces, like film or art or music, much more likely to push me over. I think that's why I might cry about a death long after it happens, but not when it happens. I put my cat down with no tears, but six weeks later, I thought I saw her out of the corner of my eye coming to visit me in my study and I realized that would never happen again.

5. Are you willing to cry in front of your Wife, GF/BF, or Mother or do you try to hide it? (even if you're just shedding a tear during or at the end of a movie?)

I never hide it, except at work, but that's just a matter of getting the job done. I'm not embarrassed to cry. Friends and family have all seen my break down.

6. Have you become more or less emotional as you've gotten older?

More, but for me it had to do with therapy. I used to bottle up everything. I didn't even realize I was feeling anything. I thought I was happy because I was numb. Absence of bad feelings is just like feeling good, right? Once we broke through the numbness, it's a flood. Then the task is to feel the feelings, but be able to make sense of them, to act on them reasonably.
    "And if there is nothing that can so hide the face of our fellow-man as morality can, religion can hide from us as nothing else can the face of God." -- Martin Buber

"You do not like religion; we started from that assumption. But in conducting an honest battle against it, which is not completely without effort, you do not want to have fought against a shadow like the one with which we have struggled." -- Friedrich Schleiermacher

1. Are you an emotional guy? On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 crying over everything and 1 you never cry including when a loved one dies where do you stand? 2, I cried when my mom passed away.

2a. When was the last time you cried? (meaning shed more then a tear) (Doesn't need to be exact, but maybe something like when your Dad passed away or your wife left you) When my mom passed away and my brother left for the navy (my best friend)
    b. When was the last time you were emotional and held crying in? (meaning you shed a single tear, but held a real cry in)Never?

3. How many times per year would you say you at least shed a tear? 0

4. Do you cry during movies? Is there any movie or movies that gets you every time? (Even if it's just shedding a tear)

5. Are you willing to cry in front of your Wife, GF/BF, or Mother or do you try to hide it? (even if you're just shedding a tear during or at the end of a movie?) Nope

6. Have you become more or less emotional as you've gotten older? I don't think so. I've never really been a person that cries.

you cannot trust a man that doesn't cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pink Monkey View Post
    I don't think I've ever cried when someone died, though I don't know too many people who have.
    Really? You don't know many people that cry at funerals?

Haha, I just feel like it gets me no where, just like getting angry. I've just come to terms that live is going to be rough sometimes. I crashed my car beginging of Feb. due to snow, I got angry for about 30 secs, and then just decided it is what it is. Getting angry or crying about it, would get me no where, so I just tried to be positive. Pretty much what I do with every situation now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseland Vike View Post
    I'm assuming he meant he doesn't know a lot of people who died?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseland Vike View Post
    No, people who have died. Grandmothers. A step-grandfather that I wasn't very close to. I'm not that close with a lot of extended family, so the ones that have died haven't meant much. When my last grandmother died, she was 84 and it was a fast-moving cancer. Sickness to death was about month.

I don't know. I guess I just feel like we're all going to die, so it's not that remarkable, especially when a person is 84 and ate lard all her life. I'm surprised every day that my dad is still alive, so I've been processing the prospect of his death for a long time. Not sure it will hit that hard when it actually happens. Maybe it will.

I hate how a lot of people will pretend to gravely mourn over their grandparents death. Sorry, but if you aren't from the South...it has to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Depp View Post
    I hate how a lot of people will pretend to gravely mourn over their grandparents death. Sorry, but if you aren't from the South...it has to be said.
    Maybe if people are close to their grandparents?

Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    Maybe if people are close to their grandparents?
    maybe, but there are a lot of people out there that use this as sympathy when it is not truly genuine. I'm honest right now... i had a good and normal suburban family...I'm sorry but I didn't give a **** when my grandparents died- they were old.. thats what happens.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123