My short list for rounds 1 & 2

Here's my short list of Potential draftees for the MOS in rounds 1 & 2 and my rationale:

Positions I didn't consider:
    QB - obviously
    RB - Bell + Blount + late rounder or cheap FA
    Oline - I think the Steelers feel they are solid here especially with Munchak coming in to coach them up. If Robinson or Mathews fall I think you have to consider them as BPA at OT but I doubt that happens. I've seen some mocks giving us Lewan but I don't see that happening either as the guy has "character concerns".
    TE - Ebron the only one who qualifies IMHO and I think they feel they're okay with Miller, Spaeth and the yeahoo brothers...
    Safety - addressed in FA and last years draft
    NT - Big Mac, Fangupo and the new FA. I know they are talking about Cam as a DE but come on - he's 330 freaking pounds - thats a NT.
    ILB - don't see it happening: Timmons, Williams, Garvin, Moats. I like Mosley but I doubt they pull the trigger on him with all the needs elsewhere. Borland could be a sneaky pick in the second but I doubt it.

So that leaves:
    CB, WR, OLB, ILB, DE. I'm leaving out guys I think will be gone by #15 like Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Barr etc but obviously we'd jump their bones if they fall. Barr especially intrigues me - I've seen him mocked to us. I like him better than JJ - a bit raw but more speed and upside.

CB: Gilbert, Dennard, Roby, Verrett and Fuller all have 1-2 round grades
    WR - Evans, Benjamin, Moncrief, Lee, Robinson, Mathews, Beckham, Cooks. Cooks, Beckham & Lee are all south of 6 ft so don't think they will be picked. Cooks was incredible at OSU - he was their whole offense last year, Beckham also has serious upside but again if you need a tall WR - get a tall WR and not another regular size guy. I doubt Robinson gets the nod in round two either - so that leaves, Evans, Benjy, Moncrief and Mathews. Benjamin scares me a bit with the drops at #15 - maybe its the ghost of Limas Sweed still haunting me. I like Mathews in round 2 - very productive in a tough conference.
    OLB -Shazier, Van Noy, Murphy (maybe on Murph but I doubt it).
    DE - Tuitt, Hageman, Ealy, Stinson -Stinson's reviews remind me of Ziggy - solid but unspectacular - so I think not.

So here's my fine fourteeen: Gilbert, Dennard, Roby, Verrett, Fuller, Evans, Benjy, Moncrief, Mathews, Shazier, Van Noy, Tuitt, Hageman and Ealy. Could easily be cut to 11 as Gilbert, Dennard and Evans may all be gone by our pick.

I'd add Davante Adams to the list for the 2nd, but looks pretty good outside of that. I took Dennard and Moncrief myself in the most recent mocking going on now.

Here's an inquiry, if Moncrief, Matthews and Davante Adams were all available, who would they take? I think the FO has Moncrief the highest, which is why I took him, but that's really just a function of them meeting with him twice.

I believe that CB, WR and DL (in no particular order) are going to be the priorities early.

There are question marks at OT and OLB, but I think they're going to count on improvement from the young players they currently have at those spots.

They go LB or tackle only if someone they did not expect to be there with their first or second pick is still available, IMO.

**This is just my 1st Rd list of possible players

I just can't leave out OT if Lewan is there are the draft doesn't fall the right way for the Steelers or NT if the Steelers decide to trade down to the middle to late 20s.I don't think they'd draft Nix at 15, but at 24 or later yes.

However I don't see them drafting an OLB after drafting Jarvis Jones last year in the 1st Rd and then bringing back Jason Worilds who they'll likely be resigning long term.

I see OT, WR, TE, DE, NT, & CB as the position we'll be drafting in the 1st Rd. With the depth at WR I'd be surprised if they draft one in the 1st Rd unless Evans makes it to them or they love Benjamin. I don't see them drafting a sub 6ft WR in the 1st Rd. TE Ebron is a possibility if he's there at 15 andhe's the highest on there draft board. CB IMO is the likeliest spot we draft. CB has Gilbert, Dennard, & Fuller. Varrett is more late 1st early 2nd and I've heard too many bad things about how Roby doesn't care enough about the game and I'm sure the Steelers heard the same thing so I'm keeping him off the draft list. At DE there isn't many guys which scares me. Really only Hageman and Tuitt are 3-4 DEs worthy of being a Steelers, but Tuitt may be available in the 2nd Rd and Hageman might be better value mid 20s. I see Ealy as an OLB in the 3-4 not a DE.

So for me the list looks like this(in no particular order): Evans, Benjamin, Ebron, Lewan, Hageman, Tuitt, Nix, Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller
    **If Robinson, Matthews, Watkins, or Evans is there at 15 the Steelers will draft them in that order

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom298 View Post

Here's an inquiry, if Moncrief, Matthews and Davante Adams were all available, who would they take? I think the FO has Moncrief the highest, which is why I took him, but that's really just a function of them meeting with him twice.
    Of that grouping, I like Matthews. He had a huge season for Vandy last year in a tough conference where teams were keying on him because they knew he was their best weapon. Has the size and showed good enough speed. He'd be my choice.

As much as WR, CB, DL and ILB as the spots needing address the most I think the players are pretty much there for us to
    find upgrades and depth in this draft. I am still at the point that the top three at #15 right now are Evans, Dennard, Gilbert. Evan right now is the only WR I'd be willing to take at
    #15, with Watkins assuredly gone and the fact we can get a WR in Rd 2 of high quality that there is no reason to reach for a WR. That said I fully expect Evans to be gone in top 10 at this point.

I definitely would not look over ILB, anytime you can upgrade a position you have to consider it and Mosley would be just that. Unless Spence comes on like a ball of fire in TC he is still an unknown at this point. Mosley would be an upgrade to anyone playing beside Timmons.

The talk about Thomas as DE could be nothing more than draft deflection talk to confuse what we'll look for on the DL in the draft. I still consider Nix a good fit for us and moving around Thomas and/or McClendon as options. Still prefer a space eating NT over McClendon as a penetrating NT, he just doesn't fit our needs inside, though not to say he isn't good enough to start outside or rotate like Woods did or Hoke before him.

As to Lewan, I am not sold on him at all, especially at 15, was a workout warrior at combine but saw him this year and he didn't impress me at all.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

I think most agree if Evans is there they run to the podium, if Gilbert is there they jog and if it's Dennard they walk quickly. Like most I don't believe Evans or Gilbert will be there so I'm gonna say Dennard's gone as well.

I'm going Fuller or Shazier in Round one, Mathews round two.

Really looking forward to this draft. Been a long time since a first round corner was taken which leads me to believe they'll go elsewhere....

My prediction 1 month out:

Dennard in round 1
    Bryant in round 2 (if Tuitt not there)

Quote Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
    I think most agree if Evans is there they run to the podium, if Gilbert is there they jog and if it's Dennard they walk quickly. Like most I don't believe Evans or Gilbert will be there so I'm gonna say Dennard's gone as well.

I'm going Fuller or Shazier in Round one, Mathews round two.
    Unless Matthews somehow falls that far. Although the odds are neither get out of the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by HYN_Steel_fan View Post
    My prediction 1 month out:

Dennard in round 1
    Bryant in round 2 (if Tuitt not there)
    Mine too...even the Tuitt conditional. And I'm totally fine with this. I think Bryant would be excellent in our offense as the outside guy in 3 WR sets.

That said, I do really hope they trade down. Fuller or Tuitt then late in 1st and get an extra 3rd or 4th. Use that extra pick for OLB depth or WR like Ellington or Norwood (not sure why he is so ignored. Looks good to me.) if we didn't get one in 2nd.

Norwood is "ignored" because he's....sort of just a guy. I guess he's solid enough, but he isn't great at anything in particular. Likely that he's going to have to be a "slot only" guy in the NFL too. Despite his height, he is more of a chain mover/grinder(IIRC, during his JR year something crazy, like, 80%+ of his catches went for firsts) who may get an occasional big play. He'll block too. Those guys are needed, but they aren't going to get much pimping.

I know the Tide aren't an Urban Meyer-esque/Daffy Duck offense, but it's a little hard to get super jazzed about a guy who only managed 36 catches this past year with opposing defenses vapor locked onto Amari Cooper.

He'd be a decent guy to target for Day 3 though, if you needed a slot guy. If I bothered to go through a list, there's probably at least 20 wideouts in this class I'd take over him though.
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast