ILB Arthur Moats signed to one-year deal

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...espnapi_public

I like it. I'd rather have Moats playing special teams & competing with Vince Williams for the starting ILB spot than a random rookie. And a one-year deal is low-risk.
    "Dying is easy; comedy is hard." - Edmund Kean

Good depth signing, versatile and good ST guy with starting experience.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

I think it's more than a depth signing. I think he starts over Williams. Must not be too confident in Spence's return.

Apparently he's got the flexibility to provide depth at ILB and OLB. They may be looking for him more as OLB depth as there's a little bit of a logjam at ILB currently.

They only have a logjam at ILB if Spence can return. Are Kion Wilson or Terrance Garvin viable ILB options? Still, Moats having positional flexibility is a big plus.

At OLB, beyond the starters and Chris Carter, I expect the team to draft a developmental OLB who can contribute on ST, and they may still bring back James Harrison to rotate in. The LB depth chart is looking a lot better. Now if they can just get Worilds to sign a cap-friendly long-term contract,...

It seems like they're mostly viewing him as OLB depth and a "plus" STer from everything I've read so far. The fact he could play inside is just a bonus.

If they were bringing him in to start over, or at least compete to start over, Williams then he'd have got more than a vet minimum deal for a year, most likely.
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast

Good point, Thinny. And if he signed a one-year deal, then he's probably not under the illusion that he's being handed a starting job. But both ILB and OLB needed addressing: having Moats gives the team flexibility at either spot.

I heard ESPN's Matt Williamson on Stan Savran's radio show yesterday talking about the Steeler free agent acquisitions.
    Williamson is a pretty bright Pittsburgh guy that is extremely knowledgeable in regards to NFL players and their potential.
    He thinks the Steelers have done pretty well, but in particular he was quite high on Arthur Moats.
    He called him a proven run-stuffer that can play inside and out, and he actually predicted that Moats would win the starting job at ILB next to Lawrence Timmons.
    If this became true, it might turn out to be a negative that the Moats deal is only for one year.
    Six Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers!