A reasoned and thoughtful Climate Change debate

I've often mentioned that people should listen, or read, the EconTalk interviews. While they are not always great, particularly when the host interviews a fellow traveler, but it can be great when they get good guests on.

This week's episode was fantastic.

John Christy, Climate Scientist at the University of Alabama, debated Kerry Emmanuel, Climate Scientist at MIT.

The discussion was informative and devoid of the general nonsense you hear on this topic. Christy, the skpetic, brought up some great points.

What may be surprising for some was how the two actually agreed with one another.

One thing I did not realize was how long the theory of CO2 warming the climate has been around.

The full text is still being transcribed but you can listen to the audio and get the whole interview.

Some notes about it.

Both sides agree that the Earth is warming and ocean levels rising although the disagree about what it means.
    Both sides agree that CO2 causes warming although they disagree on how much.
    Both sides agree that any efforts to make energy more expensive will have a negative impact, particularly on the poor.

http://www.econtalk.org/archives/201...hristy_an.html
    Last edited by flyerhawk; 03-25-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

This is what happens when you write a reasonable headline. Everyone ignores it.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    No, it's what happens when you point to external content that no one has time to listen to.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Good stuff. I enjoyed it.

This thread title is such a bore.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Quote Originally Posted by Vin Lombardi View Post
    No, it's what happens when you point to external content that no one has time to listen to.
    That's your reason? It was too long?

That's what she said.

"I just threw away a lifetime of guilt-free sex and floor seats for every sporting event in Madison Square Garden, so please, a little respect, for I am Costanza, lord of the idiots!"

An hour long podcast? Absolutely. I don't watch 46 minute YouTube videos, either.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Vin Lombardi View Post
    An hour long podcast? Absolutely. I don't watch 46 minute YouTube videos, either.
    There is a full transcript which I mentioned in the initial thread.

It's not the title.

It's simply that watching/reading an item like this requires an attention span of more than two minutes and are required to think.

There you go flyer!

Redneck prof says Obama wants to kill the poor with high gas prices. Elitist geek teacher from northeast agrees!
    Last edited by RayClay; 03-26-2014 at 01:11 PM.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

Quote Originally Posted by ctc View Post
    It's not the title.

It's simply that watching/reading an item like this requires an attention span of more than two minutes and are required to think.
    When I made my 2nd comment this thread had all of 1 view for the previous 24 hours.