That rarity: Thomas Friedman making sense

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/19/op...-disguise.html

Argument: With Putin being an ass bastard, it's time for a grand compromise to really advance energy independence, for the US and friendly countries in general, using the idea of it undermining Russia's leverage as the hook that gets the deal done.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

The time for this (a true all of the above energy policy) has been needed for a long time. Politicians give lip service to the true next generation of energy creation, but they aren't giving it the boost it needs.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

“You really want to open up the country to the exploration of natural gas? You really want to be free to export oil and gas to global markets — so long as it’s consistent with our national interests — and affect global markets in ways that could weaken Putinism? You really want the Keystone pipeline? Fine, I’ll give you all of it. And in return you’ll give me a bridge to a secure, clean-energy future for America.”
    So, he's going to give energy companies everything they want in return for a bridge.

Is it the Brooklyn Bridge?
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

Let the Fracking FLucking Fly!!!
    Gang Way!

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    So, he's going to give energy companies everything they want in return for a bridge.

Is it the Brooklyn Bridge?
    No, it's a different bridge that happens to be for sale.... It spans some nice swampland I hear.
    "Yeah, everything that guy just said is Bullsh!t..... Thank you.." -Vincent LaGuardia Gambini-

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral View Post
    Let the Fracking FLucking Fly!!!
    Fracking has been flying for the last 5+ years. Domestic energy production is way up. So basically the first half of Friedman's plan is done...now as to what can be done about the bridge he mentioned.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    Fracking has been flying for the last 5+ years. Domestic energy production is way up. So basically the first half of Friedman's plan is done...now as to what can be done about the bridge he mentioned.
    Tell me something I don't know. You don't think the Fracking can INCREASE EXPONENTIALLY?
    Gang Way!