Thread: Mock offseason

Mock offseason

Every year there is a mock offseason in the draft forum. It's not particularly realistic, but it's an interesting exercise nonetheless. I had the Browns...

Housekeeping:
    1) "Restructured" Joe Haden - I view this as an extension; results in a 50% savings in '14.
    2) Cut Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell, Greg Little, and Devone Bess
    3) Tagged TJ Ward

Trades:
    1) Traded for Jairus Byrd (1.26 + D.Jackson, got a 4th in return as well)
    2) Traded for Ryan Mallet (3rd + swap 3rds, also got a 6th back) - Maybe overpaid. Not sure. I weighed Mallet as a prospect vs what I could get in the draft for that price, and it wasn't even close though, plus theoretically he's "developed" a few years in NE.
    3) Traded Quentin Groves for a 6th
    4) Traded a 6th for Erin Henderson (wasn't cut in the mock); in hindsight, I don't like this move, but at the time (during FA) it made sense (kept missing out on ILBs).
    5) Traded a 6th for Terrelle Pryor; may seem like an odd trade, but I figured he was worth that late pick as a 3rd string, occasional gimmick play, and practice mobile QB
    6) Traded 1.04 + NEs 3rd + Indy's 4th + 6th = 1.09 + 2.41; kind of an odd trade, but wanted another top 50 pick, and it's extremely difficult to trade down at the top of these mocks
    7) Traded 2.35 to SF for 2.56 and 3.77
    8) Traded 4.104 + 5th and '15 4th to NYG for 3.74

Free Agency (keep in mind the salary numbers are not "REAL," they're a product of the mock):
    1) Alex Mack (7M) - #1 priority
    2) Trindon Holliday (1.2M) - Allows Benjamin to focus on developing into the slot WR; would also serve as his backup in that role
    3) Alterraun Verner (17M, LOL!) - Obviously, don't think he's worth anywhere near that, but I definitely want them to pursue a FA CB aggressively. Combined with everything else, that would mean four all-pros starting in the secondary, and I think moving Skrine to slot CB would be a significant upgrade, as he's better suited for that role.
    4) London Fletcher (1.5M) - I think he retired, but he was available for the sake of the mock. Would love to have him as a 1-year replacement to Jackson for his leadership alone.
    5) Dan Bailey (1.5M) - Huge upgrade at kicker, and that'd be a pretty good price by RL standards, let alone for this mock.
    6) Donald Bulter (15M) - Again, obviously don't think he's worth that, but had the cap room, and ran out of options. Didn't want to go into the draft thinking I absolutely had to draft an ILB, since I think that's a relatively weak position in this otherwise strong draft.

Draft:
    1.09 - Eric Ebron, TE, UNC - Really wanted to move down a few more picks, but no one was buying, so pulled the trigger.
    2.41 - Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
    2.56 - Tre Mason, RB, Auburn
    3.74 - Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
    3.77 - Weston Richburg, OL, CSU
    4.109 -Carl Bradford, ILB/OLB
    7th - James White
    Last edited by Xulu Bak; 03-06-2014 at 11:44 PM.

I tried addressing OL via FA, but it just wasn't happening. That's probably my biggest "disappointment" with how things have played out thus far.

In the draft, Carr ended up being taken at 31 by the Bucs (I'm their GM). If I would have anticipated him lasting that long, I would have targeted him, instead of trading for Mallett.

Rolled the dice, trading down from 2.35 with SF, and it paid off with Morgan Moses (OT), my would-be pick @35, falling to #41.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I don't like the trade for Mallett (not really sold on the guy...even less than Hoyer actually)...nor do I really like giving up #26 for Byrd (on top of the huge salary we'd have to pay him) even though safety is a need even if we keep Ward. This is a deep draft and there are a slew of good players at the bottom of the first / top of the second.

I like the trade back from #4...acquiring more picks in this draft is a good move. I like Ebron a lot and while TE is not our biggest need, he's a ridiculous offensive weapon and its hard to argue him at #9 given what was left on the board. Too bad Bortles didn't slip one more spot, because I might have taken him there. He's a little raw but I like his game. I like his ceiling way more than Carr's. And physically you couldn't ask for much more in a QB.

Without D'Qwell, we have nothing at ILB...I might have tried to trade back again and snag Mosley.

Dunno if I'd have traded #35...having #35 and #41 is pretty enticing. Could have doubled up on OL there, considering how badly we need to upgrade the line. Or a safety (if you dont trade for Byrd)...or even a one of the remaining WRs to really load up the offense.

My thinking isn't necessarily that Mallett would be the guy, but he would provide competition for Hoyer, while the supporting cast is built up around them. If neither demonstrates they can be the guy, then aggressively address QB in the '15 draft, with a better supporting cast in place.

Not sure about the likelihood of trading for Byrd, but I admittedly like the thought of that secondary. It would be costly, but need to use all that cap space on something, and the best secondary in the league seems like a pretty good option. The safety options in the draft (and FA) are pretty underwhelming, which contributed to the decision to pull the trigger on that deal.

I signed Butler as an upgrade to D'Qwell at WILB. Still need to address SILB long-term.

Moses would start at RT, which would allow Schwartz to be moved inside to RG, and I may still draft a RG, but I wasn't taking one early 2nd.

I tried trading up for Beckham or Lee, but no luck. This is a ridiculously deep WR class, so pretty confident can find a solid #2. Need to draft a couple RBs.

I know what I'm planning to draft, but will let value dictate the order.

Tre Mason @ 56. I wasn't planning to go RB there, preferring to grab a couple mid-round RBs, but he's my top RB prospect, and I couldn't decide between the abundance of WR options available. It has the added benefit of reducing the need to grab a second RB in the mid rounds, although, I won't hesitate if I think the value justifies it.

Busy mid-third round for the Browns. Traded 4th, 5th, and '15 4th for the Giants' 3rd. Used that pick on Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado, then used the 3rd from the 2nd round trade down with SF to take Weston Richburg, C, CSU.

Richardson is more of a vertical threat WR, which wasn't what I was originally targeting at WR, but he was the best value at the position, and think I can still land another option. Either a WR, or a RB/WR.

Richburg was a 4-year starter, mostly at center. Obviously, don't need a new center with Mack, but Richburg would be a very good fit for Shanahan's offense, and think he could shift to LG. Plus, it never hurts to have that versatility inside. I think there's a good chance he'll be the 1st center of the board in May.

When I traded up, I was originally thinking double up at WR, with Richburg as my backup plan for the 2nd pick, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought he was the better option with that pick.

Carl Bradford in the 4th. He played DE/OLB/ILB at Arizona State, could see him playing inside in a 3-4. Thought about going WR, but decided he was a better value than any of the WR options.

James White in the 7th. I think he'd be a great value as a #2 RB at that point.

Results from Old Mortal Mock. This one has no trades and was done by proxy:

1) Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
    1) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    2) Xavier Su'a-Filo, G, UCLA
    3) Carl Bradford, LB, ASU
    3) Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU
    4) Charles Sims, RB, WVU
    4) Dri Archer, RB/WR, Kent State
    5) Josh Huff, WR, Oregon
    6) Matt Patchan, OT, BC
    7) Tom Savage, QB, Pitt

I would like to come away with at least one bigger WR, and maybe use one of the picks in the last 3 rounds on defense, but pretty happy with how that fell.

Quote Originally Posted by Xulu Bak View Post
    Results from Old Mortal Mock. This one has no trades and was done by proxy:

1) Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
    1) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    2) Xavier Su'a-Filo, G, UCLA
    3) Carl Bradford, LB, ASU
    3) Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU
    4) Charles Sims, RB, WVU
    4) Dri Archer, RB/WR, Kent State
    5) Josh Huff, WR, Oregon
    6) Matt Patchan, OT, BC
    7) Tom Savage, QB, Pitt

I would like to come away with at least one bigger WR, and maybe use one of the picks in the last 3 rounds on defense, but pretty happy with how that fell.
    I think that draft would be a coup for Cleveland. I dont LOVE Bridgewater at #4 but I guess I'd be okay with it. Love Verrett, Su'a-Filo, Bradford, and Landry. That would be a great 3 rounds.

Love Savage in the 7th...I really want them to take 2 QBs.

I don't think there's really any pick I'll be thrilled with at 4. Aside from QB, the real positions of need aren't those you typically draft top 5, and I'm not really sold on any of the QBs.

Here's how the DCFFL mock has gone thus far...

1.4 - Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
    (Traded 1.26 & 3rd for 1.16)
    1.16 - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
    2.35 - Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
    (Traded 3.83 for 3.93 & 4.130)
    3.93 - Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford
    4.106 - Charles Sims, RB, WVU
    4.127 - Devin Street, WR, Pitt
    4.130 - Dion Bailey, FS, USC
    I'm hoping they double up at QB and WR. I'll probably do that in this mock as well.

Yeah I'm hoping we can trade down with someone who really wants Mack, Watkins, or one of the OTs. Maybe down to to the 7-12 range...I'd feel better about taking one of the QBs there, or maybe Ebron, Lewan, or Mosley.

As long as we don't take Derek Carr at #4 (which Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer suggested they would do), I'll be happy I think. We'll hopefully end up with Robinson, Matthews, Mack, or Watkins. I don't want a QB at #4. I still believe one of the "big 3" is going to slide pretty far.

I have no interest in taking Mosley anywhere near that high. I'm not sure I'd even want him at 26.

I'm generally in favor of trading down, but unless they're positioning to take a QB, they may be better off staying put and drafting BPA @4. Obviously, it would depend on the compensation, and what they do with it, but I think the gap between Clowney/Mack/Robinson/Matthews and Dennard/Gilbert is pretty significant. I also don't think there is much of a gap between Dennard/Gilbert and Verrett/Fuller/Roby. I seem to like Ebron more than just about anyone, and trading down to take him may be my preferred scenario, but I don't think that's a pick they'd realistically make. Trading down and taking Lewan could work. If they trade down, I will fully expect the pick to be a QB though.

I don't think Watkins is worth a top 5 pick as a WR2, nor do I think he'd provide great value as a WR2 in Shanahan's offense. I wouldn't "hate" that pick, but I don't think it'd be a particularly good pick, considering position, talent, depth (in this draft at WR), and Shanahan. I'd much rather address the position with Robinson, Matthews, Latimer, Landry, etc. in the 2nd/3rd, and capitalize on the WR depth in this class by doubling up in the 4th/5th round.

I wouldn't be thrilled about Carr @4, but I generally don't like any of the QBs @4. Bridgewater would probably be the easiest for me to "accept" at that spot, but it seems he's "falling," so maybe he's the guy they could trade down/up for and land in the teens (as I did in the DCFFL mock).