Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Catasauqua, PA
    Posts
    11,269

    Computer Help - SSD Drive

    Ever sine I purchased my laptop I've been thinking about adding an SSD Drive to it or replacing the HD that came with it. Unfortunately at the time even the 128GB SSD drives cost a decent chunk of change. I now have started seeing SSD prices coming down and even seen a Samsung 750GB SSD for $359 with the 500GB and lower actually at reasonable prices. So I'm thinking now might be the time for me to add or replace my HD. I do have a 2nd HD bay in my laptop so I could just add an SSD drive and I'm thinking doing that rather then replacing my HD makes the most sense. What I'm not sure about is how exactly do I move the OS from the originally HD to the SSD drive without having to format the HD and then completely re-install everything which I don't want to do. I did hear that at least with the Samsung 750GB SSD that it came with some program that moved everything from your HD to your new SSD drive and made sure that the programs that weren't set to work on an SSD drive, like a disk fragmantation program set to run every month on a schedule, were taken care of so not to screw up anything.

    So does anyone know if any SSD drive you buy comes with a program that moves your files and programs from your old HD to your new SSD Drive?

    Also if they all do come with a program tat does that can you have it just move specific files or programs over to the new SSD Drive?

    The thing is I'm not looking to buy a 750gb SSD even though that's an amazing prize. I'm looking to buy either a 256gb($150-$179) or a 480gb($279-$299) SSD Drive just to put my OS, my music, my wife's graphic art stuff, & any gaming stuff. Everything else I'd like to keep on the HD I have right now or on the 750gb External HD I have connected to my Desktop computer.

    Any advice on adding the SSD drive? I've already added 4gbs of Ram when I 1st bought this Acer Aspire 7750G laptop to bring it to 8gbs. So I know how to open the laptop and where the SSD will fit. I guess other then the questions I had above about moving programs over to the SSD drive and continue to have them working I also am not exactly sure how to make it so the SSD drive fits and isn't constantly moving around because I'm sure the HD bay isn't exactly the same size as the new SSD drives. How do you keep the SSD drive from sliding around inside the case? Could I use velcro?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Grantville, Pa
    Posts
    32,927
    Don't get a SSD for file storage (unless you are a professional AV editor). Get a SSD for a screaming fast OS and quick opening applications.

    Frankly, I think 128GB would be more than enough. Use the savings to get a 2TB HHD. Maybe get two and RAID.
    Last edited by Superbelt; 02-25-2014 at 01:39 PM.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

    R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Irvine CA
    Posts
    10,381
    SB gives good advice that you really don't need SSD to simply store files. Unless you're doing some heavy disk activity like loading a lot of video to edit, the real benefits of SSD are in the OS load time and application performance. I have a 60 GB SSD for my OS/Apps and all my data is stored on a Green WD drive that spins down when I'm not using it. I have Windows 7, Office 2010 and a ton of other apps and still have over 11 GB free on the drive.

    Some SSD's come with imaging software that lets you move your OS/apps to the new drive more easily, others don't. You just have to shop for a package that has good imaging software like Acronis. This OCZ 128 GB Drive comes with Acronis, for $89. The 256 GB version is around $204, but again, storing files on SSD is generally overkill for most types of file and how they're used. Music and Video generally won't play any better on SSD, since regular spinning disk is plenty fast enough. The larger drive has faster write speeds, which helps when you're installing apps, but they have similar read speeds which matters more when you are loading apps that are already installed. Both of them scream compared to spinning disk, your OS load time (bootup) will be amazing.
    Last edited by KickSave; 02-25-2014 at 03:51 PM.
    "What's so funny about peace , love and understanding?" - Elvis Costello

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Catasauqua, PA
    Posts
    11,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbelt View Post
    Don't get a SSD for file storage (unless you are a professional AV editor). Get a SSD for a screaming fast OS and quick opening applications.

    Frankly, I think 128GB would be more than enough. Use the savings to get a 2TB HHD. Maybe get two and RAID.
    That is the reason I want an SSD drive. Well that and that fact it's harder to break and I'm clumsy. If I misinterpreted why I wanted it for I'm sorry. I'm guessing you got that from me saying to save my music on it and the reason I said that was because according to PCmag music comes out sounding clearer off an SSD drive. Still the main reasons I want it is for booting and running the OS as well as opening Apps and running any games I play.

    Do you really think 128gbs is enough? I was thinking about getting more just because at some point when I buy a new laptop I could move it over to my new laptop and by tht time 128gbs may not be enough. So I was just trying to stay ahead of the curve.

    I know a little about computers, but let's not go nuts. While I've heard the word Raid and knnow it's in some way associated with HDs I have no idea what the hell it means or what it's used for? Also as for the statement "Use the savings to get a 2TB HHD. Maybe get two and RAID." I only have 2 HD bays in m laptop so I have no idea how I'd fit an SSD and 2 HDs to RAID in my laptop.

    Do you want to explain RAID to me in Middle school speak or do I need to google it?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Grantville, Pa
    Posts
    32,927
    My OS drive is an 80 GB SSD.

    I think you'll be perfectly fine with 128.

    I install my games to my disk drives.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

    R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Grantville, Pa
    Posts
    32,927
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370235,00.asp

    You get access speed with RAID 0, you get data security with RAID 1.

    You use (usually) two identical disk drives in tandem to access your data.

    Yeah if this is for a laptop, you won't be doing this though. I think I kinda glossed over that this is for a laptop. Sorry.

    Get a 128GB SSD and then the largest disk drive you can fit in your laptop for your storage.

    That's my recommendation.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

    R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Catasauqua, PA
    Posts
    11,269
    Quote Originally Posted by KickSave View Post
    SB gives good advice that you really don't need SSD to simply store files. Unless you're doing some heavy disk activity like loading a lot of video to edit, the real benefits of SSD are in the OS load time and application performance. I have a 60 GB SSD for my OS/Apps and all my data is stored on a Green WD drive that spins down when I'm not using it. I have Windows 7, Office 2010 and a ton of other apps and still have over 11 GB free on the drive.

    Some SSD's come with imaging software that lets you move your OS/apps to the new drive more easily, others don't. You just have to shop for a package that has good imaging software like Acronis. This OCZ 128 GB Drive comes with Acronis, for $89. The 256 GB version is around $204, but again, storing files on SSD is generally overkill for most types of file and how they're used. Music and Video generally won't play any better on SSD, since regular spinning disk is plenty fast enough. The larger drive has faster write speeds, which helps when you're installing apps, but they have similar read speeds which matters more when you are loading apps that are already installed. Both of them scream compared to spinning disk, your OS load time (bootup) will be amazing.
    So I can just move the OS & Apps using Acronis or another imaging software and leave my files and such on my HD? Does it automatically make the changes so that the computer knows what drive to boot from after you move the OS over?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Catasauqua, PA
    Posts
    11,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbelt View Post
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370235,00.asp

    You get access speed with RAID 0, you get data security with RAID 1.

    You use (usually) two identical disk drives in tandem to access your data.

    Yeah if this is for a laptop, you won't be doing this though. I think I kinda glossed over that this is for a laptop. Sorry.

    Get a 128GB SSD and then the largest disk drive you can fit in your laptop for your storage.

    That's my recommendation.
    One question then how would I get all my files and such that I didn't move to the SSD over to my new larger HD? Maybe I shouldn't have said 1 question. Also can't my laptop run any size HD as long as it fits in the shell? or is the size of my HD limited by the CPU my laptop has? Like I said I don't know a whole lot about these things, but I do know enough to do some simple upgrades.

    Actually my laptop seriously needs a new keyboard because a bunch of the letters, SDFCERT, give me trouble when trying to type. I haven't changed it because I've never done it before and I'm worried I may not be able to close the case if I don't open it right or can't figure out how to close it. I've been told to just buy a USB Keyboard, but that defeats the purpose of me not having a lot of room and the laptop easy to move around with me.

    I'd rather just buy a new laptop, but this one's only about 18 months old and I just bought my daughter a new laptop. So my funds a bit low or the laptop I'd want to buy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    14,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofaw View Post
    Does it automatically make the changes so that the computer knows what drive to boot from after you move the OS over?
    That's probably a BIOS setting. Typically there's a key you press while the computer is booting that opens a menu of settings. The specific key/procedure varies depending on the computer.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    27,856
    I have a 120gb SSD as my primary and it's more than sufficient.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofaw View Post
    One question then how would I get all my files and such that I didn't move to the SSD over to my new larger HD? Maybe I shouldn't have said 1 question. Also can't my laptop run any size HD as long as it fits in the shell? or is the size of my HD limited by the CPU my laptop has? Like I said I don't know a whole lot about these things, but I do know enough to do some simple upgrades.

    Actually my laptop seriously needs a new keyboard because a bunch of the letters, SDFCERT, give me trouble when trying to type. I haven't changed it because I've never done it before and I'm worried I may not be able to close the case if I don't open it right or can't figure out how to close it. I've been told to just buy a USB Keyboard, but that defeats the purpose of me not having a lot of room and the laptop easy to move around with me.

    I'd rather just buy a new laptop, but this one's only about 18 months old and I just bought my daughter a new laptop. So my funds a bit low or the laptop I'd want to buy.
    I would personally get a network attached HD with some redundancy that SB mentioned. This would allow for you and your entire family to have a single location to store music, photos and any other important docs you may have. Before installing your SSD drive into your laptop you can move everything you don't want to lose over there.

    My next suggestion would be starting with a fresh OS install on your new SSD. Don't bother with trying to image or migrate your old configuration over to the new one. May take a little longer to install the OS, drivers, apps, etc... but it is always worth it in the long run.

    Look up youtube vids on replacing the keyboard for your specific make and model of laptop. You'll probably see it can be time consuming but definitely something you can handle.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    43,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbelt View Post
    Don't get a SSD for file storage (unless you are a professional AV editor)
    Even most pro editors wouldn't bother with that cost. For a thousand bucks you can buy 10TB worth of raided storage, and at worst connect it with USB 3, or thunderbolt. Even if you're editing uncompressed video, you're still going to do most effects in RT.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

    --

    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,108
    Just get a Samsung SSD kit, it comes with the SATA-USB cable, the software for moving your Windows and files over, and it's hard to mess it up even for novices.

    Samsung SSDs are best performance for price IMO.

    Oh and I have a 74.5gb primary hard drive with 2 SSDs in RAID. :p

    Notice this comes with the "kit" that you'll need-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147254

    Full disclosure- I've used that Samsung kit to swap out HDs in the laptops of friends numerous times, software is easy to use and it has never failed or botched the migration.
    “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” -Gandhi

    Rational skepticism is not the same thing as being a conspiracy theorist.

    Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream. -Muggeridge

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Fantasy Football Rankings


Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.