Pirates 2014: Can they do it again?

Honestly, I can see just as many scenarios where the win only 70-75 games as scenarios where they win 95-100.

I think everything will hinge on the performance of Cole and Liriano at the top of the rotation. The Pirates cannot afford to have either of those two regress at all because they inexplicably did nothing to address the offense in the offseason.

It seems like they're going to roll the dice with Lambo at 1B and buy time for a potential Summer arrival of Gregory Polanco in RF.

It's just nice to have the Pirates enter a season with some legitimate winning expectations for the first time since I was in elementary school. Hopefully, they can build on what they did last season.

i get the concept of rolling with Lambo, but I think it may be a mistake not going for a discounted Kendrys Morales.

It's not like Seattle is a good place to hit. I think he's got a few productive years left.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

You're speaking to the choir pertaining to Morales. I've been screaming for the Pirates to acquire him since the trade deadline last summer. Based on his left/right splits, he'd be a an ideal complement to McCutchen and Alvarez.

Several teams have interest in him, though, and the Pirates are never going to outbid for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondeye View Post
    You're speaking to the choir pertaining to Morales. I've been screaming for the Pirates to acquire him since the trade deadline last summer. Based on his left/right splits, he'd be a an ideal complement to McCutchen and Alvarez.

Several teams have interest in him, though, and the Pirates are never going to outbid for anyone.
    If there was not a 1st round draft pick involved I think Morales would be a Bucco as we speak. Of course if they would have put the qualifying offer on AJ and he turned them down they could have signed Morales without losing their pick. It might still happen. Since the Bucs pick 24th this year, if Morales accepts a team friendly deal I could see them giving up the 24th pick to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Batter View Post
    If there was not a 1st round draft pick involved I think Morales would be a Bucco as we speak. Of course if they would have put the qualifying offer on AJ and he turned them down they could have signed Morales without losing their pick. It might still happen. Since the Bucs pick 24th this year, if Morales accepts a team friendly deal I could see them giving up the 24th pick to get him.
    I would not mind giving up a late first round pick for a solid 1B option for the next two or three years.

It's a glaring need, and the farm system is currently deep enough to absorb the loss of a premium draft pick.

Longer term, Alvarez is probably destined to move to 1B. Given his body type, he's probably only going to get slower in coming years.

For as strong as the organization has become in pitching and outfield talent, there is very little infield talent in the system. Alen Hanson is an exciting prospect, but he has major question marks pertaining to his defense and plate discipline.

They need to consider moving one of their OF prospects to a corner infield spot, IMO. Preferably Josh Bell, as doesn't have ideal outfield range.

I believe that the Bell option is more likely than Pedro moving to 1st for the Pirates. If Pedro is at 1st, it will be for another team. I can't see Boras allowing him to sign a deal with Pittsburgh, even if they buy out a few years of his possible free agency. Either way, the Pirates are also very thin at 3B in their organization. Agreed that they are thin in infielders. Maybe the master plan is to trade right handed power starters to fill all their organizational holes.

When Hansen is ready, short term you move Walker to 3B and let Hansen play 2B. That is if you buy that Hansen's arm isnt' big enough for SS.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

I think Walker would be fine defensively, but he has 2B power. I think the Bucs need a potent bat at 3B if Pedro would leave.Unfortunately, all their 3B eggs are in the Pedro basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Batter View Post
    I think Walker would be fine defensively, but he has 2B power. I think the Bucs need a potent bat at 3B if Pedro would leave.Unfortunately, all their 3B eggs are in the Pedro basket.
    Walker's bat would not be ideal at 3B, but I'm not sure Hanson can play anywhere other than 2B long term.

They're going to continue to develop him as a SS for as long as possible, but I don't see it. There's likely going to have to be a shuffling of some degree once he arrives.

I like Morales' bat. I've read there are concerns that he can't play 1st base at all. It isn't centerfield, but that would be a problem. There are rumors that they're looking to deal Tabata/Mazzaro/something else to grab a 1st base platoon partner with Gaby Sanchez. Poor Sanchez seems like a nice guy, but I'll hate him if he faces righties a bunch. That's not really fair to him.

F you Nutting for not paying AJ. The damn Yankees paid him for you while he was here. Jerk. I know he can be a pain, but he actually seemed to be a good mentor and always threw a ton of innings.

That Marte-Cutch-Polanco outfield is going to be tremendous!

Go Bucs!