Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clowney

Anyone who thinks a dude with a 6"8 persons reach is "weak" at doing 225 21 times doesnt work out, or has insecurity/projection issues. Long arms = lower reps. Id take a 6"5 21 reps, over a 5"11 31 reps everyday and twice on sunday. And yes traditionally in every sport including the nfl and the combine, players with longer arms due less reps. Are there exceptions? Sure. But disagreeing with that, is just disagreeing for the sake of argument.
    "you know my rap, 21 and 10"

Clowney didnt have an "off" year, he shouldnt have been in SC. He should have been in the nfl. He did what anyone in his shoes would do (at least a smart person anyway) he shut it down as to not throw away his lottery ticket. If someone gave me a million bucks to walk through a lion den, you better believe i aint looking for lions, im running as fast as i can and trying to stay alive to get my money. At the end of the day, the kid was pissed at having to risk his financial security, so the ncaa can preserve its highly illegal labor embargo.

Everyone keeps mentioning his drop in stats, but neglect to marry the reason. The ncaa is a joke and 100% immoral. And the nfl is basically assisting the exploitation on young athletes.

tech, I don't think anyone is arguing about the low reps being an issue of lack of strength. It's his lack of work ethic and commitment to become the best. This is a non issue if he is a lower drafted person, but we are talking about top of the 1st - possibly 1st overall. And you are making excuses for him as far as having an 'off' year. If you feel this is what he did - then what is to say he will not do the same during a contract year?? And comments by his coach really didn't help him.

It's not like Clowney just stood there when the ball was snapped every play ... if that were the case the coach would have yanked him every time. He may have chosen a few spots to rest his body a bit instead of going that extra mile ... but I don't buy that he wasn't trying to get to the QB all year. There's way more likelihood of injury when you're not in motion in the middle of a scrum.

Its a completely different animal, he is displaying the classic example of passive rebellion. He realizes that hes being exploited. And he fights back with the minimal amount of repercussionable consequence. Dude is a broke kid from a poor area. Imo hes making sure his family is going to be provided for, and hes making the best choice for his family. To me the biggest issue here is the immorality of forcing men or women to defacto slavery. Its completely unconstitutional to require a person to "get older" before being allowed to take a job. Imo its one of the things that proves goddell and the NFLPA only care about their own bottom line. So why should he care about anything else?

Gents, this is a career for these men. Its not a "game" these guys will die younger, live in pain, and will always be a second away from never being profitable again.

So to me, you cannot bring up his"lack of effort" without the fact thekid feels like a slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech_star11 View Post
    Its completely unconstitutional to require a person to "get older" before being allowed to take a job.
    I don't disagree with your overall sentiment but this is overstating it a bit. I don't see how this a constitutional issue.

Its a completely different animal, he is displaying the classic example of passive rebellion. He realizes that hes being exploited. And he fights back with the minimal amount of repercussionable consequence. Dude is a broke kid from a poor area. Imo hes making sure his family is going to be provided for, and hes making the best choice for his family. To me the biggest issue here is the immorality of forcing men or women to defacto slavery. Its completely unconstitutional to require a person to "get older" before being allowed to take a job. Imo its one of the things that proves goddell and the NFLPA only care about their own bottom line. So why should he care about anything else?

Gents, this is a career for these men. Its not a "game" these guys will die younger, live in pain, and will always be a second away from never being profitable again.

So to me, you cannot bring up his"lack of effort" without the fact thekid feels like a slave.
    Umm what? This is the biggest load of BS I've read all week.

EDIT: I realize now that's not a fair response, but this is completely offtopic and written as if you sat down and had a 3 hour convo with this guy. I find it insulting that you constantly try to pass off these offtopic, nonsensical, critiques on society as fact, and expect everyone here just to eat it. Everyone playing college football is doing it in exchange for a free education and to showcase their skills for the NFL. That's the deal they all signed up for. Are the players getting the raw end of the deal because universities use their likeness and jersey number to profit? Absolutely. However everyone here is in the same situation that they put themselves in. When one person is lazy and doesn't perform up to the standard that everyone knows he is capable of, it's not the NCAA's fault for not paying him, it's not the NFL's fault for requiring him to be 3 years removed from college, it's Jadeveon's fault for not working hard. This isn't a passive rebellion, he's being lazy. If he's worried about being profitable perhaps he should get a degree while he's attending school, so he has a backup plan.
    Last edited by Avelek; 02-25-2014 at 07:26 PM.

I wouldn't take clowney if I were O'Brien. Too risky, especially after he gets the money. There isn't a better option out there, unless he can trade down a few spots and get 2 #1s.

Dp
    Last edited by Tech_star11; 02-26-2014 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Avelek View Post

EDIT: I realize now that's not a fair response, but this is completely offtopic and written as if you sat down and had a 3 hour convo with this guy. I find it insulting that you constantly try to pass off these offtopic, nonsensical, critiques on society as fact, and expect everyone here just to eat it.

Thats your misguided and ignorant opinion, snd your entitled to it. Its just sad to see when "people" are un willing to empathize with people

Everyone playing college football is doing it in exchange for a free education and to showcase their skills for the NFL. That's the deal they all signed up for

1. They are forbidden to get jobs, they get an education privilege worth less than 5 grand cost to the university. Any other profession snd the ncaa would be guilty of violating federal minimum wage laws, but the ncaa lawyers and congressional lobbyist make sure that doesnt happen. Its not shocking that some would be ok with exploitation as long as the football comes on every saturday.

2. They dont sign "deals" in fact its a letter of intent and by law are given no health coverage, no financial reimbursement for serious injury, no way of paying for family if they were a valued provider. And often times scholarships can be cut or removed without consent.

3. Last bowl season, almost one billion dollars were earned on the backs of athletes and less thsn 2% of that hits student athletes.

. Are the players getting the raw end of the deal because universities use their likeness and jersey number to profit? Absolutely. However everyone here is in the same situation that they put themselves in. When one person is lazy and doesn't perform up to the standard that everyone knows he is capable of, it's not the NCAA's fault for not paying him, it's not the NFL's fault for requiring him to be 3 years removed from college, it's Jadeveon's fault for not working hard. This isn't a passive rebellion, he's being lazy. If he's worried about being profitable perhaps he should get a degree while he's attending school, so he has a backup plan.
    The rest is garbage so ill skip it.

However. Every post i make is directly on target. Dont like my post? Ignore it, or me.... That's a thing here.

Back to my point, clowney is gonna be a beast, and taking it "easy" was a good Business decision.
    Last edited by Tech_star11; 02-26-2014 at 12:51 AM.

How does Clowney compare to LT?

I don't know about Clowney, but LT's antics are well documented and my kids were going to school there during his time at UNC and during the summers when he came back and scored coke from one lax player at every opportunity. LT didn't like frat boys, and he would crash their parties and throw wide screen TV's - those big-boxy rear projection consoles, out the top windows for fun. One spring he came back and entered a mud-rassling contest in the front yard of a frat house where they turned it into a mud-bath. He wound up tossing the top heavyweight wrestler out of the box for the title. He was a Wild Man - and, although he had a HOF career, it eventually caught up to him. But that was back in the day when an LT was a freak of nature in the NFL - probably still would be to some extent. A 6'3" Tarzan who could run like a gazelle. Nowadays there are plenty of them.

I met him once at at Athletic Club dinner in Charlotte, which gave out awards to the Top High School, College and Pro Athlete from NC that year. He won the college award while Dwight Clark won the Pro Award a year or two before The Catch (Clark was from Charlotte, Taylor was from Virginia but went to UNC). LT was a nice enough fellow, but you could tell he was going to be a terror. He just had the build and the temperament for it. Does Clowney? I don't know.

Did it catch up to LT? His partying ways? Not until a HOF career and two SB titles were etched in the record books. The problem is, tho, that those were the 80's which were more like the 60's than they were like the 10's - inasmuch as 'getting away with stuff' and 'covering stuff up' was still a way of life. What just caused Von Miller a season, alot of money, and potentially a sky-rocketing career/payday would have been a mere speedbump back when Taylor played.

I don't know if Clowney is a 'partier' - but whether he is or not all kinds of such things are going to get thrown at him with a wildness coming up. The question of his discipline then comes into play. I doubt Taylor has the career he had in today's NFL. Dexter Manley played during that time and he didn't.
    Gang Way!

Quote Originally Posted by Avelek View Post

EDIT: I realize now that's not a fair response, but this is completely offtopic and written as if you sat down and had a 3 hour convo with this guy. I find it insulting that you constantly try to pass off these offtopic, nonsensical, critiques on society as fact, and expect everyone here just to eat it. Everyone playing college football is doing it in exchange for a free education and to showcase their skills for the NFL. That's the deal they all signed up for. Are the players getting the raw end of the deal because universities use their likeness and jersey number to profit? Absolutely. However everyone here is in the same situation that they put themselves in. When one person is lazy and doesn't perform up to the standard that everyone knows he is capable of, it's not the NCAA's fault for not paying him, it's not the NFL's fault for requiring him to be 3 years removed from college, it's Jadeveon's fault for not working hard. This isn't a passive rebellion, he's being lazy. If he's worried about being profitable perhaps he should get a degree while he's attending school, so he has a backup plan.
    EXACTLY!! Agree 100%. Making a comparison to slavery is simply ignorant. These guys had a "CHOICE" to play football and chose this path. It is the same for everyone. It is the 'path' to the NFL. Just like many other professions have to do internships and pay their dues to get licenses and get to the job they want. Slavery was about not having a choice and not having control. These guys chose this path, and can stop at any time. And lets not forget that the colleges offer scholarships as well. And for the price of this path - some of these guys will go into the NFL making good 6 and 7 figure salaries. Boo hoo! The 1960's are gone. Let it go already.

The rest is garbage so ill skip it.

However. Every post i make is directly on target. Dont like my post? Ignore it, or me.... That's a thing here.

Back to my point, clowney is gonna be a beast, and taking it "easy" was a good Business decision.
    That is your opinion to have. Lazy once, will be lazy again. I guess you were in support of Djax taking a season off and being lazy too. I mean, it was a good business decision also. There is a formula for destroying people's interest in football.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12