Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 106 to 120 of 120
  1. #106
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Duchy of Grand Fenwick
    Posts
    33,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    Was not saying NASCAR was easy.....I was saying that I have a better chance of beating Jeff Gordon at his own sport vs. LeBron James, Albert Pujlos, Tom Brady, Tiger Woods, and etc.....



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To put it another way -- if your opponents had no handicap other than being forced to use 1950s era equipment, you'd win at auto racing, but you'd get destroyed in most sports.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

    -- Cory Bonini

    Welchie summarized

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    44,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    A chess tournament is organized prize and goal oriented competition. Is that a sport, too?
    What's the physical skill or trait that makes a significant difference in the outcome?
    "No two people on Earth are alike, and it's got to be that way in music or else it isn't music."—Billie Holliday

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The High Seas
    Posts
    36,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim in NYC View Post
    What's the physical skill or trait that makes a significant difference in the outcome?
    Having a brain - I bet you suck at it.
    Gang Way!

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Duchy of Grand Fenwick
    Posts
    33,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral View Post
    Having a brain - I bet you suck at it.
    I'm guessing Jim would beat you in a game, given how slowly he lost to me the one time he and I played.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

    -- Cory Bonini

    Welchie summarized

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington
    Posts
    27,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    Was not saying NASCAR was easy.....I was saying that I have a better chance of beating Jeff Gordon at his own sport vs. LeBron James, Albert Pujlos, Tom Brady, Tiger Woods, and etc.....



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Makes sense. I still think you're underselling the skill, but I get your point. None of us are scoring on LeBron or batting a pass away from Calvin Johnson.

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The High Seas
    Posts
    36,979
    Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post
    I'm guessing Jim would beat you in a game, given how slowly he lost to me the one time he and I played.
    The problem you're missing is I would easily beat you.
    Gang Way!

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Canada
    Posts
    10,783
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Auto sports do not qualify as sports. Just because they sweat a lot doesn't mean anything. Pulling 5 Gs is not making it a sport either. Spinning a merry-go-round really fast has you pulling a lot of Gs.

    They are competing in something that one of the biggest deciders of who wins comes down to the mechanics.

    Sure, they are in good shape to drive the cars. I don't doubt that it takes a level of fitness. Just the concentration and dexterity alone at those speeds needs to have a person making sure their body and mind are ready to deal with it. But it's not the same.

    Agree. I remember the year when Jacques Villaneuve or whatever his flippin name was won the F1 and beat out Larry Walker who won NL MVP as Canada's top male athlete. Complete BS. Larry was running into walls and gunning people out at third and hitting 350 and JV was driving a nice car. JV then switched teams a year later and never won another race. It's like saying a guy riding a great horse is some kind of champ. FO.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Duchy of Grand Fenwick
    Posts
    33,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral View Post
    The problem you're missing is I would easily beat you.
    At chess? Really?
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

    -- Cory Bonini

    Welchie summarized

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Too Far From Home
    Posts
    6,267
    Yesterday i was watching a rerun of a Top Gear episode. One guy was going to drive a F1 car. He was going to practice and work his way up. First he drove a mini version. 300 hp. He was doing ok. Then he jumped into a larger version. 500 hp. He freaked out. Then he got into the real deal. 1500 hp. Took him many tries just to get going as he kept stalling it. Then he proved that you need tons of skill to drive the car. Up shift, down shift, turn and your senses going way faster than he could keep up. One of his main problems was he couldn't generate enough heat to keep the brakes warm so he wasn't producing stopping power. Very interesting to see for people who think they could just jump into one of these and be competitve without tons of practice before hand.

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Tied to the KFFL merry-go-round
    Posts
    23,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim in NYC View Post
    What's the physical skill or trait that makes a significant difference in the outcome?
    Exactly my point all along...what's the physical skill or trait that makes a significant difference in the outcome of an auto race?
    "My life is not easy, but it's awesome." - Steve Gleason

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The High Seas
    Posts
    36,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    Exactly my point all along...what's the physical skill or trait that makes a significant difference in the outcome of an auto race?
    This should be fun. Jim is great at explaining things to people who can't read.
    Gang Way!

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Southern Cal
    Posts
    7,273
    Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    I don't mean this in a snarky way, but have you driven a stock car before, at a high speed? It's insanely difficult. Far more so than it looks.
    Professionals always make it look so easy where someone thinks they can do it.
    "You don't understand, there was shrinkage."

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The peanut gallery....
    Posts
    36,907
    [QUOTE=seahawksfan837;6340954]Makes sense. I still think you're underselling the skill, but I get your point. None of us are scoring on LeBron or batting a pass away from Calvin Johnson.[/QUOTE

    Exactly what I was saying. You can LEARN to be a race car driver and practice at it....but being a NBA/NFL player..you gotta be gifted to even begin with....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The peanut gallery....
    Posts
    36,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Godstree View Post
    Yesterday i was watching a rerun of a Top Gear episode. One guy was going to drive a F1 car. He was going to practice and work his way up. First he drove a mini version. 300 hp. He was doing ok. Then he jumped into a larger version. 500 hp. He freaked out. Then he got into the real deal. 1500 hp. Took him many tries just to get going as he kept stalling it. Then he proved that you need tons of skill to drive the car. Up shift, down shift, turn and your senses going way faster than he could keep up. One of his main problems was he couldn't generate enough heat to keep the brakes warm so he wasn't producing stopping power. Very interesting to see for people who think they could just jump into one of these and be competitve without tons of practice before hand.
    F1 cars are far more complicated than NASCAR cars, IMO. I have seen the interior of some...and man...the steering wheel alone looks like a fighter jet's cockpit...
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
    Posts
    38,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim in NYC View Post
    What's the physical skill or trait that makes a significant difference in the outcome?
    I'm told Chess is very taxing physically and mentally.

    But Chess isn't really a sport.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Fantasy Football Rankings


Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.