Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    Was not saying NASCAR was easy.....I was saying that I have a better chance of beating Jeff Gordon at his own sport vs. LeBron James, Albert Pujlos, Tom Brady, Tiger Woods, and etc.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To put it another way -- if your opponents had no handicap other than being forced to use 1950s era equipment, you'd win at auto racing, but you'd get destroyed in most sports.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    A chess tournament is organized prize and goal oriented competition. Is that a sport, too?
    What's the physical skill or trait that makes a significant difference in the outcome?
    "No two people on Earth are alike, and it's got to be that way in music or else it isn't music."—Billie Holliday

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in NYC View Post
    What's the physical skill or trait that makes a significant difference in the outcome?
    Having a brain - I bet you suck at it.
    Gang Way!

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral View Post
    Having a brain - I bet you suck at it.
    I'm guessing Jim would beat you in a game, given how slowly he lost to me the one time he and I played.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    Was not saying NASCAR was easy.....I was saying that I have a better chance of beating Jeff Gordon at his own sport vs. LeBron James, Albert Pujlos, Tom Brady, Tiger Woods, and etc.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Makes sense. I still think you're underselling the skill, but I get your point. None of us are scoring on LeBron or batting a pass away from Calvin Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post
    I'm guessing Jim would beat you in a game, given how slowly he lost to me the one time he and I played.
    The problem you're missing is I would easily beat you.
    Gang Way!

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Auto sports do not qualify as sports. Just because they sweat a lot doesn't mean anything. Pulling 5 Gs is not making it a sport either. Spinning a merry-go-round really fast has you pulling a lot of Gs.

They are competing in something that one of the biggest deciders of who wins comes down to the mechanics.

Sure, they are in good shape to drive the cars. I don't doubt that it takes a level of fitness. Just the concentration and dexterity alone at those speeds needs to have a person making sure their body and mind are ready to deal with it. But it's not the same.

Agree. I remember the year when Jacques Villaneuve or whatever his flippin name was won the F1 and beat out Larry Walker who won NL MVP as Canada's top male athlete. Complete BS. Larry was running into walls and gunning people out at third and hitting 350 and JV was driving a nice car. JV then switched teams a year later and never won another race. It's like saying a guy riding a great horse is some kind of champ. FO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Admiral View Post
    The problem you're missing is I would easily beat you.
    At chess? Really?

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Yesterday i was watching a rerun of a Top Gear episode. One guy was going to drive a F1 car. He was going to practice and work his way up. First he drove a mini version. 300 hp. He was doing ok. Then he jumped into a larger version. 500 hp. He freaked out. Then he got into the real deal. 1500 hp. Took him many tries just to get going as he kept stalling it. Then he proved that you need tons of skill to drive the car. Up shift, down shift, turn and your senses going way faster than he could keep up. One of his main problems was he couldn't generate enough heat to keep the brakes warm so he wasn't producing stopping power. Very interesting to see for people who think they could just jump into one of these and be competitve without tons of practice before hand.

Exactly my point all along...what's the physical skill or trait that makes a significant difference in the outcome of an auto race?
    "My life is not easy, but it's awesome." - Steve Gleason

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    Exactly my point all along...what's the physical skill or trait that makes a significant difference in the outcome of an auto race?
    This should be fun. Jim is great at explaining things to people who can't read.
    Gang Way!

Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    I don't mean this in a snarky way, but have you driven a stock car before, at a high speed? It's insanely difficult. Far more so than it looks.
    Professionals always make it look so easy where someone thinks they can do it.
    "You don't understand, there was shrinkage."

[QUOTE=seahawksfan837;6340954]Makes sense. I still think you're underselling the skill, but I get your point. None of us are scoring on LeBron or batting a pass away from Calvin Johnson.[/QUOTE

Exactly what I was saying. You can LEARN to be a race car driver and practice at it....but being a NBA/NFL player..you gotta be gifted to even begin with....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Godstree View Post
    Yesterday i was watching a rerun of a Top Gear episode. One guy was going to drive a F1 car. He was going to practice and work his way up. First he drove a mini version. 300 hp. He was doing ok. Then he jumped into a larger version. 500 hp. He freaked out. Then he got into the real deal. 1500 hp. Took him many tries just to get going as he kept stalling it. Then he proved that you need tons of skill to drive the car. Up shift, down shift, turn and your senses going way faster than he could keep up. One of his main problems was he couldn't generate enough heat to keep the brakes warm so he wasn't producing stopping power. Very interesting to see for people who think they could just jump into one of these and be competitve without tons of practice before hand.
    F1 cars are far more complicated than NASCAR cars, IMO. I have seen the interior of some...and man...the steering wheel alone looks like a fighter jet's cockpit...
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

I'm told Chess is very taxing physically and mentally.

But Chess isn't really a sport.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678