Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Outside Buddy-ville
    Posts
    15,297

    Seahawks Mount Rushmore

    There's been a lot of Mount Rushmore talk recently, thanks to LeBron James and his comments, so I figured we should get in on the action.

    1) The NFL and its teams cease to exist as of March 1, 2014. There is no future, only what has already happened (thankfully, the Seahawks won the Super Bowl just before this cataclismic event). Who goes on the Seahawks' Mount Rushmore.

    2) Unlike in question 1, the NFL will continue to be a multi-billion dollar enterprise into eternity. Using projections of current Seahawks, who goes on the Seahawks' Mount Rushmore 20 years from now?
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,850
    Largent, Walt, & Tez are no brainers for me. The 4th spot is really up for grabs. I think a valid argument could be made for Hass, Holmgren, Wilson, Carroll, or Paul Allen. I guess there is a chance that in the future, both Wilson & Carroll could make it, possibly knocking off Tez.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hoboken NJ
    Posts
    55,415
    Right now it has to be Paul Allen. I would put him above Tez and Walt. Saved the team from moving to SoCal. And committed to the team being a great team by building top flight facilities, hiring top flight coaches, and letting his football guys does do their jobs.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4,480
    Largent, Easley, Tez and Walt as of today...

    Largent and Easley were dominant players for the Seahawks and gave them a national face early on and when Ronnie Lott says Kenny Easley was the best safety he's ever seen play well even though he had his career cut short still is my favorite Seahawk of all time.

    RW and the LOB if thy wins multiple SB's, a 2nd Rushmore of Kam, Thomas, Sherman and RW will have to be made.

  5. #5
    JMR's Avatar
    JMR is offline defender of the high life
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    next to the gold
    Posts
    11,730
    I'm assuming no eligibility restrictions to players only?

    Scenario 1: Paul Allen, Steve Largent, Walter Jones, Mike Holmgren. I think you have to have the 2 first ballot HOFers on there in this scenario, and I just can't see how you can exclude the owner that kept the team here or the Coach/GM that completely turned this thing around from laughingstock status to SB team.

    Scenario 2: RW and PC bump Walt & Holmgren. This is contingent upon multiple SBs, which I think will happen. And it only happens if RW continues his arc to elite status.
    U MAD BRO??

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Outside Buddy-ville
    Posts
    15,297
    Quote Originally Posted by JMR View Post
    I'm assuming no eligibility restrictions to players only?

    Scenario 1: Paul Allen, Steve Largent, Walter Jones, Mike Holmgren. I think you have to have the 2 first ballot HOFers on there in this scenario, and I just can't see how you can exclude the owner that kept the team here or the Coach/GM that completely turned this thing around from laughingstock status to SB team.

    Scenario 2: RW and PC bump Walt & Holmgren. This is contingent upon multiple SBs, which I think will happen. And it only happens if RW continues his arc to elite status.
    You'd bump Walt before Largent? My recency bias may be showing (I only really started paying attention in 1993), but I have a hard time bumping Walt before either of the other hall of famers.
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Outside Buddy-ville
    Posts
    15,297
    For me,

    1) Paul Allen, Walter Jones, Cortez Kennedy, Steve Largent
    I really wanted to put Matt Hasselbeck on here, but I can't make a good argument to exclude any of the 4 above.

    2) Paul Allen, Walter Jones, Russell Wilson, Pete Carroll
    Earl Thomas (assuming he has the career I forsee) is the hardest for me to exclude.
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puyallup, Washington
    Posts
    27,166
    Now: 1) Allen 2) Largent 3) Walter 4) Tez

    20 years: 1) Allen 2) Largent 3) Carroll 4) Thomas

    Paul Allen will never come off my Mt. Rushmore.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The High Seas
    Posts
    36,979
    The big ones have been named but I'll propose some 'honorable mentions':

    Dave Krieg
    Chuck Knox
    Curt Warner
    Steve Hutchinson

    Brian Bosworth turned out to be a joke but he brought alot of attention to the Seahawks when they otherwise had little.
    Gang Way!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4,480
    Quote Originally Posted by MKHawk View Post
    You'd bump Walt before Largent? My recency bias may be showing (I only really started paying attention in 1993), but I have a hard time bumping Walt before either of the other hall of famers.
    I'm thinking Largent is the only Seahawk who should be a lock because when he retired he held virtually every main NFL receiving record such as yards, catches and TD's, He was a first vote HOF as the Seahawks first HOF'er. What's even more impressive is he played for primarily run orientated offenses, one can only wonder what his numbers would be if he had played in SD or SF.

    I have to admit I didn't read the original scenario all the way through, but if the Seahawks ceased to exist after march 2014 I'd still stick with my original four picks. Paul Allen is a billionaire owner who made his money being in the right place at the right time with Gates, now if there was a City of Seattle Mt. Rushmore I'd stick him there and as much a I love him, football was a after thought to him after basketball, but again, I'm eternally grateful for saving us from the clutches of the evil Ken Behring.

    What a shame though is Kenny Easley, arguably the greatest football player Seattles ever drafted or played for the team isn't getting the due he deserves. If you could clone a hybrid of Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor what'd you get is Ken Easley. Maybe some of you youngsters just never seen him played, I was fortunate enough to see him play for UCLA so I knew all about him before he became my favorite Seahawk and even as a freshman for the bruins I knew he was special by picking off a pass in the endzone right in front of me to secure a Bruin win.
    Last edited by Seahawk Sal; 02-18-2014 at 10:17 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    40,748
    Quote Originally Posted by seahawksfan837 View Post
    Now: 1) Allen 2) Largent 3) Walter 4) Tez

    20 years: 1) Allen 2) Largent 3) Carroll 4) Thomas

    Paul Allen will never come off my Mt. Rushmore.
    Agree... W/out Paul Allen, we have no Seahawks in the Great Northwest...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4,480
    That's an assumption, not a fact.

  13. #13
    JMR's Avatar
    JMR is offline defender of the high life
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    next to the gold
    Posts
    11,730
    Quote Originally Posted by MKHawk View Post
    You'd bump Walt before Largent? My recency bias may be showing (I only really started paying attention in 1993), but I have a hard time bumping Walt before either of the other hall of famers.
    Absolutely. When he played he was widely considered the best WR in the game if not ever, and when he retired he had the most catches for the most yards and most TDs in the HISTORY of the league. And he did it all in Seattle on an expansion team. He was our first HOF player and made it on the first ballot. For a guy who did not possess the physical tools you associate with elite players, he was absolutely dominant in his era.
    U MAD BRO??

  14. #14
    JMR's Avatar
    JMR is offline defender of the high life
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    next to the gold
    Posts
    11,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk Sal View Post
    What a shame though is Kenny Easley, arguably the greatest football player Seattles ever drafted or played for the team isn't getting the due he deserves. If you could clone a hybrid of Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor what'd you get is Ken Easley. Maybe some of you youngsters just never seen him played, I was fortunate enough to see him play for UCLA so I knew all about him before he became my favorite Seahawk and even as a freshman for the bruins I knew he was special by picking off a pass in the endzone right in front of me to secure a Bruin win.
    I'm a huge Ken Easley fan, one of my all time fave Hawks. Not putting him on the Seahawks MT Rushmore (which is really a fictitious thing anyway) is not a big deal in my view. He was amazing, no question, but he was injured a lot and only played in Seattle like 7 seasons. He was a shooting star, burned out a little too soon. If we make an all-time Hawks team, he's the starting SS. Maybe that's the next off-season project for this board....
    U MAD BRO??

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    4,480
    Oh I understand JMR that this is a just fun exercise full of personal preference and criteria, but I've got to make a pitch for my favorite Seahawk and can only ask, without him on the Seahawks D, would any of those early Seahawk playoff teams have made the playoffs?

    and BTW, I've got a game worn autographed Easley jersey, soon to be framed to remind me of his greatness as well as Ronnie Lotts endorsement to his greatness.

    LOL! I'm just havin fun with this and do think it should be a players only Mount Rushmore. With that, can you imagine this years D with Cortez on it? He'd fit perfect at a multiple of positions on the D Line, like Easley. perhaps the second most overlooked Seahawk great, but the single player every opponent game planned for.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Fantasy Football Rankings


Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.