Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Al Woods...

Al Woods...

he'll be an UFA in less than a month...

sign or good bye?

I'd sign him.
    The Leafies are Scumbags.

I'd like to see them resign Woods, I think he's probably a better fit at DE than McClendon but I'd like them to take a look at Terrance Cody the free agent from Baltimore. He's been playing behind one of the best in the business and a starting position with Pittsburgh might entice him. He's the type of free agent the Steelers go after in the sense he isn't going to require a ton of money to sign, he fills a big need and he's only 25 or so. I know many of us were fairly high on him during the 2010 draft. As much as I like Nix, filling the NT position with a free agent saves us from using a high pick on a player who may only play 50% of the snaps. Not sure if McClendon or Woods is a starting answer at DE but at least it presents us with an additional option and depth. I kind of think Woods would turn out as a better DE but we'd need to re-sign him to find out.

Of course re-signing Woods and going after an affordable NT means we'll need to free up cap space, Taylor has to go and Troy needs to restructure for starters but that will only get us close to even so there's plenty that will need to be done.

I like Woods for the versatility that he brings, he can play DE or NT in a pinch.

I'm all for Cody coming over...need the monster in the middle.

I'd like to keep Woods. I think he's gone because another team will give him a contract that we won't match. I doubt they are willing to put him in as a starter.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

I'd love to keep Woods due to his versatility at playing inside or out. He is starting to come into his own and gives 100% all the time now. I prefer him over Hood as Hood just doesn't fit us.
    I still think McClendon fits much better outside in he can stuff the run and penetrate the backfield, but is not a space eater like we need inside.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

Quote Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
    I'd like to see them resign Woods, I think he's probably a better fit at DE than McClendon but I'd like them to take a look at Terrance Cody the free agent from Baltimore. He's been playing behind one of the best in the business and a starting position with Pittsburgh might entice him. He's the type of free agent the Steelers go after in the sense he isn't going to require a ton of money to sign, he fills a big need and he's only 25 or so. .
    If they could get Cody that would be awesome! Could open up lots of options in the 1st, let alone throughout the draft.

Al Woods has signed with Tennessee...

GRRRRRR.....

Not surprising. Good luck to Al. He showed some good things while here. Just not enough cash to go around.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

Ken Whisenhunt's obsession strikes again.
    Two year $5 mil for a guy that hasn't played a lot of snaps.
    But again….Whisenhunt can't stop himself from going after Steeler players.
    My hope would be that the Steelers don't settle for bringing Keisel back.
    Six Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers!

Far more likely it was Horton's call than Whisenhunt's.
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast

I'm sure Horton's opinion didn't hurt, but Ken Whisenhunt is the HC.
    Wherever there's a Pittsburgh Steeler to be had….Whisenhunt is chasing.

Bummed about losing Woods - versatile and productive player. Makes me wonder what the plan is for the dline?

Right now it's: Heyward, Big Mac and Arnfelt as starters with Fangupo backup at NT and Williams backup at DE.
    Obviously Heyward is a lock at DE and Big Mac is a lock to start somewhere - do they keep him at NT or put Fangupo in there and move Mac to DE? Got a couple of young guys with potential on the roster but are they ready to rely on them as "plug and play" kinda guys? Seems like they almost have to bring back either Diesel or Hood. Personally I'd prefer Diesel for another year. He's tough and plays hard. Time to move on from Ziggy IMO - okay player but never lived up to his draft status.

Seems like they gotta draft some more dlinemen at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
    Bummed about losing Woods - versatile and productive player. Makes me wonder what the plan is for the dline?

Right now it's: Heyward, Big Mac and Arnfelt as starters with Fangupo backup at NT and Williams backup at DE.
    Obviously Heyward is a lock at DE and Big Mac is a lock to start somewhere - do they keep him at NT or put Fangupo in there and move Mac to DE? Got a couple of young guys with potential on the roster but are they ready to rely on them as "plug and play" kinda guys? Seems like they almost have to bring back either Diesel or Hood. Personally I'd prefer Diesel for another year. He's tough and plays hard. Time to move on from Ziggy IMO - okay player but never lived up to his draft status.

Seems like they gotta draft some more dlinemen at some point.
    Please….No more Keisel.
    I'm begging them to refrain from this thought.

Keisel is practically Roeth's wife. Do not be surprised if he's back for another year if he doesn't get much interest on the open market.
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast

Hey guys, what do I need to know about Woods?

I literally know nothing about him.

But at 2 for 5, that's backup money anyway.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast