Notes on mathematical physics

http://www.math.northwestern.edu/~ml...rs/physics.pdf is a VERY brief summary of physics. I haven't worked my way through it yet, but it seems to cover everything through World War 2, and some more recent topics as well.

If you haven't studied at least some calculus, however, it's gibberish. And unless you have at least two years of calculus, you're going to be guessing at a lot of the meaning. But it might be instructive even so, in one key takeaway, namely that ...

... real things about the world that can be measured are described largely in terms of intermediate mathematical constructs less directly connected to physical reality. Accept that, and you have experimental science with testable predictions, and all that other good stuff. But if you try to restrict science to being ONLY about directly-observable things, an immense fraction of scientific knowledge is disregarded.

And that's true even in a different sense than "A lot of the action is at very small scales that we can only 'observe' via readings made on very fancy instruments."
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Thanks for this, Fence.

Yeah, hard to work through...but I like to bang my head against the wall (only took a calculus class).

Will be finishing it later with google. Never gonna be a rocket scientist, but this can help me with making a believable sci fiction script....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    Thanks for this, Fence.

Yeah, hard to work through...but I like to bang my head against the wall (only took a calculus class).

Will be finishing it later with google. Never gonna be a rocket scientist, but this can help me with making a believable sci fiction script....
    Partial derivatives explained in one sentence:

Pretend other variables are constants.

From there just learn what divergence and curl are and you're set on the differential side.

For integration, you can always think about things so that you're integrating over one variable at a time, perhaps with the same trick I bolded above.

Green's Theorem is the hard bit. I'm not sure I ever found it wholly intuitive. Now I'd have to check notes before even trying to state it.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post
    Green's Theorem is the hard bit. I'm not sure I ever found it wholly intuitive.
    Thank you for the confirmation. I don't know why but it was the first thing in math that I didn't take to quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by chariots View Post
    Thank you for the confirmation. I don't know why but it was the first thing in math that I didn't take to quickly.
    Warning: NSFW language in the image below.

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

And similarly

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized