The Rejection of Myron Rolle...

And interesting read on a guy who wasn't like 99% of the NFL players out there.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/201...rhodes-scholar
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Interesting read.

As I was reading it, couldn't help thinking, "It may be for the best that he didn't make it in the NFL." I think he would have been good for the NFL, but can't help thinking it would be a bit of a waste.

The article also touched on why I will always put college football above NFL.

All good points.

I just wish Tenn gave him a real chance, cause it sounds like they never did.

To be fair that was when they just invested big dollars into Hope and a first round pick on Griffith so it wasn't like he was gonna start from day 1, but it seems like there was never a real intention of giving him the opportunity to be a real contributor, and because it was all based on practice it's hard to say what was the actual reason he never got a shot...maybe Rolle simply wasn't that good and he saved a franchise big money by going to Oxford for a year.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

I do find some of the assertions kinda hard to believe. So he didn't fit in in the NFL because the culture embraces individuality, just not his version of individuality? And if the NFL is such a bottom-line business...I find it hard to believe that he washed out with two teams without ever even getting on the field for a game even though he was good enough to play, just because he was "too smart."

The thought he was black-balled because of his interest in neurology and the timing of the start of his career coinciding with the explosion of concussion-related backlash is an intriguing angle, though.
    "My life is not easy, but it's awesome." - Steve Gleason

Interesting story.

I don't if he was blackballed or not though I'd lean towards no. Regardless, the world could use more of what Rolle is doing as opposed to another strong safety.
    I'm your mama, I'm your daddy
    I'm that nigga in the alley
    I'm your doctor when in need
    Want some coke, have some weed
    You know me, I'm your friend
    Your main boy, thick and thin

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Ain't I clean, bad machine
    Super cool, super mean
    Dealin' good for the Man,
    Superfly, here I stand
    Secret stash, heavy bread
    Baddest bitches in the bed

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

I remember him being called a marginal talent.
    maybe it was the Titans' locker room, but an intellectual player is what teams need, especially with the complex defensive and offensive schemes present in the NFL.
    Still, he'll probably make more money over the course of his life time than many NFL players.
    "Biologists must constantly keep in mind that what they see was not designed but rather evolved." - Francis Crick.

"For since the creation of the world, God's invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

"It's one reason I hate reading what Tyke writes. It just annoys the hell out of me." - Big Pink Monkey

The guy simply isn't that good.

Based on the preseason he spent with the Steelers, it was obvious that he lacked athleticism and speed.

He ran a 4.5, so I just kind of find that hard to believe.

- Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    He ran a 4.5, so I just kind of find that hard to believe.
    But not at the combine...

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlowBuffalo View Post
    But not at the combine...
    Speed isn't as crucial as re-action time / preparing tape. Does it help to have both? Sure. But it's more common to see a player get beat because of a mental/technique error than pure speed. I doubt Ed Reed was running 4.5 in his last three years in Baltimore.

That being said , I remember noticing that Rolle had too much confidence in his tackling stance / athleticism. NFL players have the strength to push straight through his power-hug. Most teams insist on playing sticks , and I never saw Rolle as a dominant Sticks guy.

He had very raw, orthodox technique in a put your head down and punish the WR league.

The article overstates his ability, or more accurately, how he graded as a prospect. No doubt about that.

Let's not pretend like he was a complete bum either though. Even at the surface he was seemingly given less opportunity than guys of similar talent. Why? Hard to say. Maybe intellect. Maybe concerns about his commitment. Maybe concerns about him speaking out on the concussion issues because of his other interest. Maybe he was perceived as an "outsider" to the NFL culture. Maybe the coach(es) making the decisions were intimidated by him. Maybe some combination of the above, or something completely unrelated. Who knows?

I don't think any of those things would hinder his chances too much if a team projected him to be a star player, but if they only projected him to be a role player, or marginal upgrade, then maybe they figured he wasn't worth risking all the potential baggage.

There are very few off-field issues that NFL teams won't overlook for a talented player. Somehow I'm doubting a surplus of intelligence is one of them. Two separate teams saw first hand what Rolle brings to the table, and neither came away impressed. That's the bottom line.