House passes clean debt ceiling bill.

Senate assumed to go along. So, no drama, after the botched government shutdown this fall.

Could be because of this...

The federal budget deficit has fallen sharply during the past few years, and it is on a path to decline further this year and next year. CBO estimates that under current law, the deficit will total $514 billion in fiscal year 2014, compared with $1.4 trillion in 2009.

At that level, this year’s deficit would equal 3.0 percent of the nation’s economic output, or gross domestic product (GDP)—close to the average percentage of GDP seen during the past 40 years.
    http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

In addition, despite some weak jobs numbers, the Fed continues to withdraw stimulus citing underlying strength.

Hard to sell Armageddon in an economy that keeps chugging along and a health plan that is being implemented and an Afghanistan withdrawal that is being carried out with or without Karzai.

It's a long way from Congressional elections, but the thought that Republicans are driving the message gives me a bit of a chuckle. Everything they said would be a disaster isn't, everything they swore they'd stop they didn't and the issues that will drive the election, such as immigration, do not make them look good or united.
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

I read elsewhere that Boehner wanted "strings attached" to the bill, but he couldn't get enough votes to pass that.

Quote Originally Posted by DonMan View Post
    I read elsewhere that Boehner wanted "strings attached" to the bill, but he couldn't get enough votes to pass that.
    The schism is wide as ever. Rather than another protracted fight, Boehner's given up the "Hastert Rule" (?) and just split off enough votes so most of the party can say they were against it. No more attempt at a unified party at all.
    Last edited by RayClay; 02-12-2014 at 01:57 PM.
    and a one point plan.

The message will be that the republicans are making everything work correctly, despite Obama, which is why they want to keep their heads down until the end of the mid-term elections. They cannot afford anymore bad press.
    Fear is the mind killer

Quote Originally Posted by Nunchuckz View Post
    The message will be that the republicans are making everything work correctly, despite Obama, which is why they want to keep their heads down until the end of the mid-term elections. They cannot afford anymore bad press.
    They are betting everything on people hating health care. They have no backup plan.
    and a one point plan.

Boehner's a goof, but his party requires him to be so. This bunch couldn't be led if they were blind and bound together with Super Glue.
    I promise I won't do it again

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Boehner's a goof, but his party requires him to be so. This bunch couldn't be led if they were blind and bound together with Super Glue.
    I disagree with his original agreement to take it to the limit with his more radical members but it's good to hear that he's not going to continue that crapola any longer.

There will still be opportunities for conservative Republicans to push their views and agenda without threatening the stability of the country every 6 months.

In a way it's an example of democracy working even as it lurches along.

I have no doubt that this softer Republican stance is due to the upcoming mid-term elections.

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    They are betting everything on people hating health care. They have no backup plan.
    Yeah the GOP doesn't want to give any ammo to voters with another potential shutdown because they want to keep talking about 'Bamacare.

It is too bad that is what it takes for the GOP to become a semi-functioning party.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
    Yeah the GOP doesn't want to give any ammo to voters with another potential shutdown because they want to keep talking about 'Bamacare.

It is too bad that is what it takes for the GOP to become a semi-functioning party.
    Nature abhors a vacuum. If they try to get through the elections with no issues, the issues shall be thrust upon them.

They've ceded the deficit issue (which is dropping tremendously anyway) and decided they aren't going to talk about immigration (good luck with that). Public opinion changes over time, I'm glad they are standing still.
    and a one point plan.

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    Considering even Democrats are running away from Obamacare, it sounds like a pretty solid plan. Check out this ad from a PAC associated with "we need to pass the bill to find out what's in it" Nancy Pelosi:

Way to "take the White House to task", Dems.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

I've never seen a political party (the GOP) box themselves in so badly by alienating and vilifying every group possible from gays to Muslims to city-folk to Latinos....They hate everyone and have effectively taken away any chance to increase any meaningful market-share.

With that said Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Barak Obama sicken me. The first two are idiots and the third is a coward.
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

-Gandhi

I thought it has been pretty well established that if the Republican's don't bring brown people into their tent, they won't win the White House ever again. But they seem to have a strategy to try to retake the Senate in the mid term, when turnout is lower than the general mainly because young people sit out the mid terms, but also because of gerrymandering. Since they feel like they have the Senate in their sites, they are balking at Immigration reform, knowing that young brown people will be sitting out this election, but pretty much guaranteeing they won't see the White House in '16.

Welcome to perpetual gridlock. Or at a minimum 2 more years worth... maybe in '16 all these decisions to alienate everyone except old white people will finally backfire and we throw the R's out of both houses. Maybe, but not probable though.
    "What's so funny about peace , love and understanding?" - Elvis Costello

Cute theory. Or maybe, just maybe, with the Senate in their sights, the Republicans want to wait until they (potentially) control both chambers and can create a more favorable to their ideals immigration bill.

Nah, can't be, they just hate brown people.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by KickSave View Post
    I thought it has been pretty well established that if the Republican's don't bring brown people into their tent, they won't win the White House ever again. But they seem to have a strategy to try to retake the Senate in the mid term, when turnout is lower than the general mainly because young people sit out the mid terms, but also because of gerrymandering. Since they feel like they have the Senate in their sites, they are balking at Immigration reform, knowing that young brown people will be sitting out this election, but pretty much guaranteeing they won't see the White House in '16.

Welcome to perpetual gridlock. Or at a minimum 2 more years worth... maybe in '16 all these decisions to alienate everyone except old white people will finally backfire and we throw the R's out of both houses. Maybe, but not probable though.
    Gerrymandering doesn't apply to the Senate - each state gets two Senators, period.
    "No two people on Earth are alike, and it's got to be that way in music or else it isn't music."—Billie Holliday