Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by swat View Post
    Banner is the definition of "smug". So glad he is gone.
    That is exactly what I was thinking!

Banner was a big reason that TO never got a deal.

Banner was a huge reason Westbrook held out and actually said he wasn't worth the money. The amount Westy didn't budge on, finally received, and then Lurie said that banner would not be talking to media about player contracts anymore. I remember it being a hand slap at the time.

Banner was a huge reason Dawkins was insulted with the offer they gave him which led to him leaving.

Makes you wonder if he was the main reason we dealt with the worst set of starting WR's for the first 5 years.

I said for years that we wasted money paying guys in advance, which demotivated them, instead of actually improving the team. It was good financial moves, but you cannot treat players like stocks and futures.

Banner is brilliant as a bean counter. But he is not needed as much with the way the cap is now. He is a big reason I said long ago that this team has a conflict between it's business model and that of a championship model. Banner needs to stay in the business world and get out of sports, imho. He is great at what he does - but I don't think it is served best in the sports arena.

Very well said! Yes, Banner was the main reason that Reid struggled, not giving him a lot of resources to improve. Reid has a lot of blame too, but banner ws the main culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by old duke View Post
    Very well said! Yes, Banner was the main reason that Reid struggled, not giving him a lot of resources to improve. Reid has a lot of blame too, but banner ws the main culprit.
    I wouldn't go that far, Reid made plenty of ridiculous mistakes in personnel, ie. Dream Team, McDougal, FredEx. Banner was just the guy who when a player was on the fence about signing, he made sure to fu ck it up.

Well, I am not a Reid lover by any means, but you have to admit that Reid did quite well leaving here while Banner fell flat on his face and got fired. That's pretty telling. Perhaps Reid with a better front office person would have won in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggloo View Post
    Well, I am not a Reid lover by any means, but you have to admit that Reid did quite well leaving here while Banner fell flat on his face and got fired. That's pretty telling. Perhaps Reid with a better front office person would have won in Philly.
    Regardless Andy had a lot of flaws in his coaching. His clock management is nationally ridiculed, he was very stubborn and didn't seem like the coach to take much input from other coaches or players; one of the reasons Chip Kelly has won me over. Andy was far too pass happy and his offense was predictable too often. He was loyal to a fault, which resulted to him keeping McNabb around too long. Also hiring his offensive line coach as Defensive coordinator. Yes he won a lot of games here, but he had a really bad record against playoff caliber teams. Keeping in mind there's not many great coaches in the league, and there's a lot of bad coaches -- I think he's a slightly above average coach and he doesn't deserve some of the hate he gets, but I just don't see Andy Reid as a Super Bowl winning coach….ever.
    Last edited by Birds4life81; 02-13-2014 at 07:39 PM.

I am not going to get into all of that again, but you know I agree with most of it. Just saying that it's interesting to see Reid do well and Banner get the boot almost immediately.

Yeah, I'm just glad those days are behind us. Really like where this organization is headed!

Quote Originally Posted by WCPhan View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, Reid made plenty of ridiculous mistakes in personnel, ie. Dream Team, McDougal, FredEx. Banner was just the guy who when a player was on the fence about signing, he made sure to fu ck it up.
    I think I said similar things. Banner + Reid was a disaster, as far as I'm concerned. They both got us headed into a positive direction, but couldn't get us to the top, as I believe that Chip will.

Quote Originally Posted by WCPhan View Post
    I agree. I was in NO WAY resolving Reid. Reid drafted like chit most of the time. He settled for bargain basements when we had a gold window to make SB runs instead of bucking Banner. He failed to learn from his mistakes and kept doing the same thing over and over. He ran a one - dimensional team that actually aided the opponent. He did not gameplan with our opponent even in mind and seek to take something away. He was the worst "adjuster" I've ever seen - which is something a HC should be good at. His time clock management was horrible. He had no respect for the run game. He outsmarted himself constantly and went against the norm, even if it was the right decision. I am in "NO WAY" absolving Reid for all the shortcomings he had. Reid was lucky to inherit a solid defense that really put him in a position to look better than he was. The same has happened now in KC. Good for him. But stating banners downfalls, I was in no way absolving Reid.

I am not going to get into all of that again, but you know I agree with most of it. Just saying that it's interesting to see Reid do well and Banner get the boot almost immediately.
    SITUATION

Banner shot his mouth off and is an office person

Reid went to a place with a strong defense and a lot of pieces already in place. Reid is being carried right now. It's not a matter of him doing better. How do you judge when an office person is having a 10-6 season or a 4-12 one?? Banner's issues was his comments about the coach and running his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by FFL_Recruiter View Post
    SITUATION

Banner shot his mouth off and is an office person

Reid went to a place with a strong defense and a lot of pieces already in place. Reid is being carried right now. It's not a matter of him doing better. How do you judge when an office person is having a 10-6 season or a 4-12 one?? Banner's issues was his comments about the coach and running his mouth.
    I'm not going to get into all this Banner/Reid nonsense again(who cares? They're gone!) except to add this nugget from Dan Pompei, previously of the Chicago Tribune but now with Bleacher Report:

"Some suspect deposed Browns CEO Joe Banner will resurface in the league office, perhaps with Ray Anderson's old job as executive vice president of football operations. Banner is respected by many in the league office, especially executive vice president Jeff Pash. Banner played a major role in coming up with the league's rookie compensation pool."

He counts beans really well for sure.

He counts beans really well for sure.
    He's Hal, the good little computer that gains sentience and decides to try to take over the world

Since we are on the banner/reid topic - an interesting read from a year ago.

Banner is the one that hired Reid (according to Banner himself). This explains a lot. Bargain basement shopper goes for a quarterback coach with no OC or DC experience and who is a loyal yes-man, and he gets a bargain. Explains why Reid was never much one to buck Banner despite having crap WR's in a passing offense, and why he hesitated so much during the Westbrook holdout as well before finally saying he thought the team should pay him.

Yes, Banner is one of the best bean counters in the NFL. I cannot help but think his talents are wasted in this venue though. Then again, maybe he looks like the genius he is, because he is here and not with fortune 500 companies. Seems he once had a chain of designer clothing stores. Wonder what happened to them.

Banner is a total nutcase. Coordinators reporting directly to him. Why?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...irectly-to-him

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12