Plantinga vs. atheism

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...sm-irrational/

Good set of arguments by Plantinga against atheism, including:

1. The universe is "fine-tuned". However, I think that argument works strongly AGAINST those theists who believe in a miracle-working, science-sometimes-suspending God; the Earth is evidently NOT "fine-tuned" if we grant God the option of acting outside science.

2. If your beliefs are just neurophysiological states, or the obvious consequences of same, why should you put any credence in them?
    I think that's silly, since it sounds like saying "Computer memory is just the arrangement of magnetic and electronic states, so it is very unlikely to contain correct information."

3. The rebuttal of certain specific arguments for theism is not actually a disproof of theism. So you should be an agnostic rather than an atheist. While I concede that may have some force when one considers ALL theistic theories taken together, every SPECIFIC theistic theory I've ever known people to evangelize about has considerable disproof. The only theistic theories that I don't see as being convincingly disproved are the ones so vague and unimportant that nobody much cares if they're true. (E.g., the forms of deism that say God kickstarted the universe and has had no involvement since.)
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post
    While I concede that may have some force when one considers ALL theistic theories taken together, every SPECIFIC theistic theory I've ever known people to evangelize about has considerable disproof.
    "Deep within the heart of every evangelist lies the wreck of a car salesman." -- H. L. Mencken.

I'm starting to think that should be the other way around.
    "No two people on Earth are alike, and it's got to be that way in music or else it isn't music."—Billie Holliday

I was just thinking this forum needed another theist v. non-theist pissing match...
    "My life is not easy, but it's awesome." - Steve Gleason

Looks like your prayers have been answered.

Praise somebody. Or not.
    "My life is not easy, but it's awesome." - Steve Gleason

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in NYC View Post
    I'm starting to think that should be the other way around.
    What do you know about car salesmen?
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post
    What do you know about car salesmen?
    He keeps getting away with telling guys that this:

[--------------------------]

is 8 inches.
    Odd Facts:

The human brain is incapable of producing a face. Any face you see when you dream is one that you have physically viewed at some point in your life.

The Australian aborigine language has over 30 words for “dust.”

Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.

When you see little white or clear dots floating in your vision, they are actually your own white blood cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice-9 View Post
    "Deep within the heart of every evangelist lies the wreck of a car salesman." -- H. L. Mencken.
    I became a car salesman years after I became an evangelist.

The first shall be last and the last first.
    "Biologists must constantly keep in mind that what they see was not designed but rather evolved." - Francis Crick.

"For since the creation of the world, God's invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

"It's one reason I hate reading what Tyke writes. It just annoys the hell out of me." - Big Pink Monkey