Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff97 View Post
    Just saw in Gerry Dulac's (PG) chat yesterday that someone asked him who the Steelers would take if Evans and Dennard were on the board at #15. Surprisingly (to me) he said Dennard.
    He's been talking Evans, but he's now saying Dennard is a Steeler type of CB.
    Dulac is well connected, so that makes me think he's gotten some info from someone within the organization.
    Honestly it makes me sick even thinking we'd take him over Evans, and I've been heavily against drafting a WR in the 1st round. Hell I'd rather we draft Marquise Lee or Ra'Shede Hageman over Dennard and I don't care much for either of them although I'm warming up some on Hageman. I can probably think of at least 20 players I'd take over Dennard.

I love the idea of trading down to the early 20s and taking Nix if Gilbert, Evans, Ebron, Any of the top 3 OTs, & HaHa are all taken before our pick at 15.

To be honest, Dulac's one of the last guys I'd give a ton of weight to his opinion on things. He, with the likes of Kaboly/etc., are "connected", in that they cover the Steelers for a local paper, but Lolley and (especially)Bouchette are the guys who seem to be "embedded." It sure seems more of the stuff those two report winds up being true than anyone else.

As to the player, Dennard fits the mold for their CBs structurally, but they tend to like guys who can run. Dennard really isn't that fast though. Not saying they won't take him, just that he doesn't fit the paradigm as much as his height/weight may make some think.
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast

Quote Originally Posted by ThinMan View Post
    Everyone can get on board with that, and pretty much everyone says this every single year....and then it only happens about ever ten years and everyone thinks it's easy as @#$#@ to trade down and wonders why the Steelers don't/can't do it every draft.

Gotta find a trade partner first. And a lot of times that can't happen until the pick hits the clock. This MAY be a year to be able to pull it off, since a few teams lower down have a s- tone of picks(Niners, looking at you), but for it to work a top player would have to tumble. At that point though, you can make a pretty strong argument that it'd probably be better for Pittsburgh to just draft the guy who falls.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I understand the way this usually goes down. Cleveland could want a QB that they passed on early, get a little nervous and has the picks to move up, they did trade with us last season so it's not like they won't talk or maybe SF just has a much higher opinion of a guy like Lee or Dix or someone else that the Steelers feel they don't need to grab at 15.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinMan View Post
    To be honest, Dulac's one of the last guys I'd give a ton of weight to his opinion on things. He, with the likes of Kaboly/etc., are "connected", in that they cover the Steelers for a local paper, but Lolley and (especially)Bouchette are the guys who seem to be "embedded." It sure seems more of the stuff those two report winds up being true than anyone else.

As to the player, Dennard fits the mold for their CBs structurally, but they tend to like guys who can run. Dennard really isn't that fast though. Not saying they won't take him, just that he doesn't fit the paradigm as much as his height/weight may make some think.
    I think I'd rate Dulac ahead of most of the guys that cover the Steelers.
    As I'm sure you know....He works closely with Bouchette.
    It's always more than possible that people inside the organization are putting up smoke screens.
    Most of these guys need material, so they're going to use it whether they think it's a smoke screen or not.
    Six Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers!

if the Steelers take Dennard who could be the top CB in the Draft....I'm OK with that.

we have to address the secondary in a big way....
    The Leafies are Scumbags.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    if the Steelers take Dennard who could be the top CB in the Draft....I'm OK with that.

we have to address the secondary in a big way....
    No question that CB is right around the top of Steeler needs.
    I'm just not sure Dennard is good value at #15.
    I definitely think Gilbert would be, but I doubt heavily he is still on the board at that point.
    Six Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers!

I'm hoping someone values Dennard over Gilbert and takes him as first cb, but that is a long shot. I am not going to be overly upset taking Dennard but
    like Gilbert heads and heels over Dennard. Also it will depend on who else is available. I honestly don't see Dennard being BPA when we pick.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

I know I'm on record as being down on Dennard but I am starting to warm up. Even before he ran (apparently a 4.38) a better 40 at his pro day. With the Mitchell signing we have the makings of a much more physical secondary should they draft Dennard. I could live with that as I would like to see us return to that physical, intimidating D of a few years ago.

My Hopes:

R1:
    Evans - I agree that Defense is our biggest need and I am so tired of watching a mediocre to bad B&G defense, but Evans is a unique talent that would address the primary problems with our offense...TD's and splash plays.
    Ebron - Today's NFL is about matchups and creating mismatches. The Steelers would like to run the ball and run a hurry-up offense. A versatile player like Ebron helps with both, as well as the red zone. We can run two TE sets that, depending on the defensive personnel, can be a run group or a pass group. Huge.
    Dennard - Dude is a baller. Grabs like all get out, but that is something you have to do in today's NFL....you just have to learn how to get away with it. I think you can teach someone how to tone it down or hide it a smidge a lot easier than you can teach a guy that has never used his hands to start to use them. Plus he's just tough.
    Mosley - Timmons and Mosley together would be awfully nice. I don't think that Mack and Buck thing really exists anymore, we simply need players in there that can make plays, play smart and can run. That last one "can run" is the new NFL. The good offensive coordinators will punish you if you play those run stuffers inside. (guys like Ebron will kill you).

Other than that....try like hell to trade down. I'd take a 4th if those guys aren't available to move down 5-10 slots. Then look to Hageman or Fuller (Love him...like him better than Gilbert) or Amaro. Guys I do NOT want: Nix or Benjamin. Benjamin is a bust waiting to happen. Does not know how to run routes or attack the ball in the air (he's a "waiter" which completely negates his size) and he drops a ton. NO thanks. Man, I just do not get the Nix love. I watch him and he's relatively quick with a decent swim (two years ago moreso than this year), but I don't see this tough to move anchor that everyone else seems to see. He gets pushed around, is horribly crushed in short-yardage situations. I'd be ok in second, I suppose, but not in first 30 picks, no way.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...s-explosivness

Appears he upped his numbers at his pro day (not overly surprising). Dennard was a pretty darn good shutdown CB at a school the Steelers keep very close tabs on. I'm still not sold on the idea that either of Gilbert or Dennard will be there at 15. CB's have increased value every year due to the evolution of the game. I could see him at 10 to Detroit (they need a CB and are his hometown team) or like 2007, where we were robbed of Revis, Dennard going to Chicago at 14.

I'd have no problem with Dennard at 15 if he's there and then WR/NT (no particular order) in the next 2 rounds.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

With the Mitchell signing, it appears as though the Safety position is 2 deep. Just looking at roster depth, where are the biggest holes? I'd have to start with DE- Hayward on one side and ? on the other (only 2 other DE currently on the roster are Brian Arnfeldt and Nick Williams). Either a FA or 2 needs to be added or the Steelers will be drafting one in the first again....

I think you'll see DE addressed with value guys in FA and probably a mid to late round pick in the draft. Don't be surprised if Kiesel isn't brought back after the draft for the vet min if he hasn't signed on elsewhere. McClendon could easily slide outside and personally i feel that would be his best spot moving forward.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

Read Woods is to meet with Titans today. I think Woods was a top resign need for us, lose him and we definitely need to address DL early in the draft if not in FA or both. I don't want to be pressed to consider keeping Hood, he just doesn't fit our defense and really never has. I still want a NT so McClendon can move outside, we will never get better in the front 7 with him at NT. We need a true spaceeater and he's not one. I am very interested to see what Williams and Arnfelt can bring to the table but don't think either will be ready this year to be more than depth guys. Nix of course fits the bill at NT to me and teammate Tuitt might be the right DE. Woods however is a must resign, he fits in the rotation inside and outside.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

if Woods can get the opportunity be a full time starter with the Titans I wish him well....

I think with the Steelers he could be our Chris Hoke type of player...

I expect the Steelers to be picking the carcass of the FA crop now......no more big signings.

Alex Carrington???
    The Leafies are Scumbags.

I'd be pretty happy if they could get Carrington. Worked himself into a starter at the 5-tech for Buffalo and was looking good before he got hurt last year.

With Pettine in Cleveland now, I'm expecting he winds up there though.
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast