Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Again he was given one year, hard to fix a bad roster in one year. Point is he finished 8-8, had a great personnel guy at his side and was set to target a Super Bowl QB who was a pretty solid if unspectacular player for year 2.
    Last edited by Darrell Green Fan; 02-07-2014 at 01:11 PM.
    6 Footers For Bogey Really Suck

As I said earlier, I would've been OK with Marty getting another year or more. On the specific point of getting a better or another QB not named Jeff George for the start of the 2001 season, which is the only subject my last post is commenting on. He failed miserably and the only person to blame for that is Marty himself. Marty decided at some point before the season started to go with george as his QB and after only 2 games. He cut him, saying he couldn't win with George like it was revelation to all of us. It wasn't though, t was only a revelation to him apparently. His ego and having total control of football perssonel/operations is to blame for that.
    I'm your mama, I'm your daddy
    I'm that nigga in the alley
    I'm your doctor when in need
    Want some coke, have some weed
    You know me, I'm your friend
    Your main boy, thick and thin

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Ain't I clean, bad machine
    Super cool, super mean
    Dealin' good for the Man,
    Superfly, here I stand
    Secret stash, heavy bread
    Baddest bitches in the bed

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
    Again he was given one year, hard to fix a bad roster in one year. Point is he finished 8-8, had a great personnel guy at his side and was set to target a Super Bowl QB who was a pretty solid if unspectacular player for year 2.
    He could have punted Jeff George the second he walked into the Redskins office. Everyone knew they wouldn't work well together. He had the whole offseason to get a fill in. No one expected the answer for QB to be found that year, but something better than George + Tony Banks would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    As I said earlier, I would've been OK with Marty getting another year or more. On the specific point of getting a better or another QB not named Jeff George for the start of the 2001 season, which is the only subject my last post is commenting on. He failed miserably and the only person to blame for that is Marty himself. Marty decided at some point before the season started to go with george as his QB and after only 2 games. He cut him, saying he couldn't win with George like it was revelation to all of us. It wasn't though, t was only a revelation to him apparently. His ego and having total control of football perssonel/operations is to blame for that.
    +1

Oh I'm not arguing that he should have kept George. I remember very well everyone questioning that logic. So that point is valid, no arguments. My point is they were set in year 2 to grab a guy who turned out to be pretty good but they were axed before ever getting the chance. And again the guy helping make that assessment of some random unknown QB turned out to be a pretty good judge of talent, both on this call and later in Seattle. Again another missed opportunity by an idiot owner.
    Last edited by Darrell Green Fan; 02-07-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Oh I'm not arguing that he should have kept George. I remember very well everyone questioning that logic. So that point is valid, no arguments. My point is they were set in year 2 to grab a guy who turned out to be pretty good but they were axed before ever getting the chance. And again the guy helping make that assessment of some random unknown QB turned out to be a pretty good judge of talent, both on this call and later in Seattle. Again another missed opportunity by an idiot owner.
    Jake Delhomme? Hmmmm.

After doing some checking. I think I'd of went after Beuerlein as my #1 choice. I wonder if Marty gave any thought to retaining Brad Johnson?

Hey does anyone remember Champ gettin ran down by Orlando Pace against the Rams during a MNF? I thought Champ was gonna have a 109 or whatever it would've been INT return and bam! Pace seriously tracked him down.

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Super cool, super mean
    Superfly, here I stand

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

9ers, how vital or important was he to building the 9ers current roster?
    Extremely. He handled the last 4 drafts which outside of 2012 have been good to fantastic and was a big part of the scouting that brought in Gore, Vernon, Willis, Staley, McDonald, Goldson Brown and Crabtree. Been good in FA too for the most part with Whitner, Goodwin, Rogers, and trading for Q obviously worked out pretty well.
    Last edited by 9ERS4EVA; 02-08-2014 at 01:09 AM.
    The stand your ground law is like bleach. It works miracles for whites but it'll ruin your colors.

Yeah, I've forgotten what a good draft is. The Skins drafts have sucked swollen blue whale nuts for a very long time now. They've, as in, Marty, whoever was in charge during dumb ass Spurrier's tenure, Gibbs (he might be the worst one of all), whoever was in charge during Zorn's tenure and Shanny have done some ass backwards, triflin, WTF! kinda things with the draft. One year, 2003 I think, the Skins only had 3 total draft picks and the year after that they had 4 total picks. What kinda sh*t is that? 7 picks in 2 years?

So sh*tty is the Skins drafting record that a strong argument could be made that aside from a few 1st rd picks, Kerrigan, Orakpo, TWill, Griff....hopefully. The best draft pick the Skins have made in the last 7 or 8 years has been Reed Doughty.

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Super cool, super mean
    Superfly, here I stand

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

It didn't start with Marty, check out Casserly's draft record.

As for Pace I can't hate on Champ, that was simply an amazing play by Pace. Besides the pick ended the game anyway, a TD would have just been gravy. Buy yeah I expected a TD too.

Yeah, I've forgotten what a good draft is. The Skins drafts have sucked swollen blue whale nuts for a very long time now. They've, as in, Marty, whoever was in charge during dumb ass Spurrier's tenure, Gibbs (he might be the worst one of all), whoever was in charge during Zorn's tenure and Shanny have done some ass backwards, triflin, WTF! kinda things with the draft. One year, 2003 I think, the Skins only had 3 total draft picks and the year after that they had 4 total picks. What kinda sh*t is that? 7 picks in 2 years?

So sh*tty is the Skins drafting record that a strong argument could be made that aside from a few 1st rd picks, Kerrigan, Orakpo, TWill, Griff....hopefully. The best draft pick the Skins have made in the last 7 or 8 years has been Reed Doughty.
    It's the lifeblood of the organization. When you do it poorly it comes back to bite you.

The Coaching/Development side is a big part of the process too that, from an outsider perspective, seems to be as big an issue for Washington as well the last decade.
    The stand your ground law is like bleach. It works miracles for whites but it'll ruin your colors.

Quote Originally Posted by 9ERS4EVA View Post
    It's the lifeblood of the organization. When you do it poorly it comes back to bite you.

The Coaching/Development side is a big part of the process too that, from an outsider perspective, seems to be as big an issue for Washington as well the last decade.
    What seems like a big issue from the outside? That coaches the Skins hire can neither coach or develop player talent/skills? Its pretty easy to see from inside the puzzle factory as well.

Take Orakpo for example. Stats-wise you can say this was the best of his 5 year career. He had double digit sacks, 10, for the first time since his rookie season when he had 11. Plus career highs in solo and total tackles and his first NFL INT which he returned for a TD. He's still pretty much a one trick pony though far as pass rush moves, still weak against the run and still looks out of place/not fluid in pass coverage at times. Or put another way. He looks a lot like he did his rookie year.

Another example....when Rak got hurt last year, Rob Jackson took over his spot and he made big plays at critical times throughout the season for the defense. And while he was suspended the first 4 games of this season for some banned substance bullsh*t . IMO the season he had in 2012 warranted taking a long hard look at Jackson with the starting defense to see if it was just a lucky year or if he had a knack for making plays. Did that happen though? **** no. He got one funky ass start in 12 games and was relegated back to giving breathers for Rak and Kerrigan where he came up with a couple sacks and an INT.

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Super cool, super mean
    Superfly, here I stand

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

It didn't start with Marty, check out Casserly's draft record.

As for Pace I can't hate on Champ, that was simply an amazing play by Pace. Besides the pick ended the game anyway, a TD would have just been gravy. Buy yeah I expected a TD too.
    Yeah, Charlie got a lotta mileage from what BB did before him. Its been a while, but I remember when Charley was a go to guy for "how will this scenario play out/did this team make a good or bad move here?" for the media heads at ESPN and NFLN. His opinions, at least imo, weren't all that hot then either.

I'm not hatin on Champ. I was just shocked, I still shake my head a little even ow thinking about it. It wasn't like Champ put it into crusie control either, he was running hard. Pace just made a hellified and very impressive hustle play. One of the best/most impressive I've seen.

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Super cool, super mean
    Superfly, here I stand