Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
    Question for Hawks fans They gave up a 1st, 3rd and a ton of cap space for Percy Harvin. Given the ROI was this a good move to date? I can't see it, he produced Sunday but it's not like they would have lost without him. They win that game with or without Harvin.
    Beyond my control as a fan. Reminds me of a conversation I had with someone when Denver signed Manning. I told him that I was reserving judgment, because it would all boil down to his health and chance. If they get a healthy Manning, it'd work out, but all that could change on one play.

If we can ever get a full season (or even most of a season) out of Harvin, he's a difference maker.

If he continues to be on the shelf for 90% of seasons, then in hindsight it was a horrible trade.

Have to wait and see.

The Super Bowl affirms the high ceiling if he stays healthy.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Anyone trying to piss on the Hawks is just being an ass. This was no "perfect storm", that defense made Peyton and the Broncos look bad. They recognized that he is now incapable of throwing a 15 yard out so they jammed up the crossing routes that we knew all week was going to be the game plan. Why other teams did not take this approach is beyond me.

As for comment that none of this will matter a year from now that's horeschitt too. Once your team wins a ring it's yours for life. Hell I'm still happy about our last Super Bowl win that happened over 20 years ago because you know what? It happened is what.

Question for Hawks fans They gave up a 1st, 3rd and a ton of cap space for Percy Harvin. Given the ROI was this a good move to date? I can't see it, he produced Sunday but it's not like they would have lost without him. They win that game with or without Harvin.
    Good post. My team has zero rings. I would die for just one game like that.

As for Harvin though you answered your question. They won the darn SB and he played a role.

Any question about ROI is moot. It's not the Roy Williams deal. Guy was hurt and he contributed when it counted. I say all that as an opponent of the deal originally.

Fair question. In a vacuum, and in terms of strict ROI, no, it's not a good trade at this time.

But if given the chance, would I go back and undo it? Not a chance.
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    How's that? The two big problems I saw were Manning's inevitable happy-feet/lame ducks and a very, very soft team, so it's either Manning, Elway or both IMO. Fox cost the Broncos a playoff win and perhaps more last year, but I don't see what he did wrong in the Super Bowl. I mean, he's just a caretaker to begin with, anyway. He'd never get much credit in success and I don't see why he gets blame in this particular case. The roster, led by arguably the softest WRs in the league and an OL reliant on the QB's quick release, just didn't nut up in the slightest against a physical team.
    It just seemed like the Broncos weren't at all ready for a) the game itself or b) the Seahawks and their speed/force. For that lack of preparedness, I look first to the coaching staff.

I'm not trying to be a Troy Aikman and say this game has no effect on Peyton's legacy, but this was such a colossal team failure that it's hard to say much other than he didn't play well. He certainly didn't cost his team the game in any way.
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

JMR is offline defender of the high life
    The way I see it is them winning it all this year pushes this question to next year. This wasn't a one season acquisition. Harvin is still very young and clearly has ability to make huge plays even when he hadn't really played all year and couldn't have been in top condition. We didn't get a lot from him this year, but that just means it's something the team will have going into '14 that may represent an improvement and help our chance to avoid the SB hangover. Our 3rd year QB will (hopefully) get to take full advantage of one of the most dangerous and explosive players in the league.
    U MAD BRO??

Yeah moving forward clearly you are happy with the Harvin deal. But that was not the question. It's hard to say you would undo the trade given as he played a big role in winning a title just 2 days ago. But still people have criticized teams for giving up a lot and getting little in return a lot lately so it's worth pointing out.

As for Denver's move clearly signing Peyton was a great decision, I would think that would be obvious.
    6 Footers For Bogey Really Suck

JMR is offline defender of the high life
    Yeah moving forward clearly you are happy with the Harvin deal. But that was not the question. It's hard to say you would undo the trade given as he played a big role in winning a title just 2 days ago. But still people have criticized teams for giving up a lot and getting little in return a lot lately so it's worth pointing out.
    If this is all we ever get from Harvin, then of course it wasn't worth it. But I really don't feel that is going to be the case....and he's only like 26 years old so to me it's just not time to ask the question. I certainly don't regret making the trade because we didn't need those draft picks to win the SB this year, and Harvin clearly has the ability to help us improve next year and beyond. Seems like half the players that are picked in the first round don't pan out anyway....and those that do usually take a couple years to emerge.
    U MAD BRO??

Seems that the Seahawks had not just the physical edge Sunday, but the mental edge as well:

The Seattle Seahawks have revealed that a good part of their defensive strategy at the Super Bowl came from the fact that they were able to decode Peyton Manning's hand signals on the field.

Controversial corner back Richard Sherman said that he and his fellow defenders cracked the code that the Denver Broncos quarterback was using, meaning that they knew exactly what to expect for each play.

'We knew what route concepts they liked on different downs, so we jumped all the routes. Then we figured out the hand signals for a few of the route audibles in the first half,' he said.
    As for the hand signals, Manning is said to change them every game but this time the other team was paying very close attention early on, explaining how they were able to thwart his plans in the first quarter.

The other problem that plagued Manning was that he didn't switch up the system after realizing that it wasn't working.

'Now, if Peyton had thrown in some double moves, if he had gone out of character, we could’ve been exposed,' Sherman said.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dict-play.html
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Anyone trying to piss on the Hawks is just being an ass. This was no "perfect storm", that defense made Peyton and the Broncos look bad. They recognized that he is now incapable of throwing a 15 yard out so they jammed up the crossing routes that we knew all week was going to be the game plan. Why other teams did not take this approach is beyond me.

As for comment that none of this will matter a year from now that's horeschitt too. Once your team wins a ring it's yours for life. Hell I'm still happy about our last Super Bowl win that happened over 20 years ago because you know what? It happened is what.

Was it a good move to date? I'd say so. Sure, we would have more draft picks and more cap space...but would the players we would have brought in upset the chemistry of the team? Whatever you might think of Schneider and Carroll's moves, bottom line is that the sum total of those moves is a Lombardi.

Now if we aren't able to keep the core of the team together, and Harvin doesn't blow up soon...well...still probably worth it, but it becomes an interesting debate.
    "I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference."

Each and every move that was done resulted in a Superbowl victory, all in all, the Percy Harvin trade was a complete success, albeit a little scary that he was so close to the IR a few weeks back.

After we cut Sidney Rice and let Tate go, we are only paying Harvin any real money. Our cap situation at WR is great once Rice's contact is terminated.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789