Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by JMR View Post
    I guess from a Seattle fan perspective, when Pete Carroll has been ignored thus far (awards-wise) for the huge turnaround of the organization...#1 seed, beat Carolina, better record than Carolina, and made the SB....it doesn't make tons of sense.

And lauding Rivera for rebounding from a 1-3 start is like the Andrew Luck deal where he gets credit for a comeback even though his crappy play early was why they were behind.

The biggest award is presented later today so no big deal...I just think there was a more deserving coach out there.
    Carroll getting overlooked for COY is the reality. Had he done worse than 7-9 in his first year he probably would have gotten it at some point, or at least come close.

The real crime is that John Schneider doesn't have an executive of the year award to his name.
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

Oh, and I guess we should get ready for Richmond Webb to make the Hall of Fame next year, since Walter Jones is in, right dead meadow?
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    I nver understood why some people goo on about how "great" Guy was. Being the best ever pure punter is like being the smartest kid in special ed. Today's punter's are just glorified average football players who weren't good enough to do anything else in the game. If Guy was really great, he would have been promoted to a better position in football, one that actually makes a long-term, meaningful impact on the game.

There isn't that much difference between "great" punters and "average" ones. They're not even in the game very often, thus pure punters can't really make a significant difference. Unless you're Devin Hester, rarely can any special teamer make a huge difference in football. There's a reason why most of the HOFers are QBs, RBs, WRs, etc. Guy wasn't even that charismatic of a player; hardly anyone outside of Raider nation remembers him. It's supposed to be a Hall of Fame, not a Hall of Vague Familiarity.

The greatest punter ever was actually Sammy Baugh. He was one hell of a QB, and he also average the longest punts in NFL history. Imagine how great a punter he would have been if he had concentrated solely on punting. Guy was just a one-dimensional player whose accomplishments were superficially remarkable at best. It takes more than being a one-trick pony to be a worthy HOFer. Why not also elect long snappers, or towel boys, or the secretary who works in the team office?

There are many NFL players never to be inducted into Canton who contributed more to their team's success than Guy did. The HOF isn't for the greatest at a given position. It's for those who actually work at it long enough to make a meaningful impact on their team, and getting to play such a significant role in the game is something that one has to earn. Playing a position reserved only for those who are no good at the more difficult positions is no way to earn HOF induction. You take any third-string QB, put him in the game for only a few plays, give him enough of a cushion to make getting tackled a non-concern, and it will always look like there's a "great" player out on the field at punter.
    Special teams: Unimportant until it fails.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    I only just noticed Rivera won COY. I couldn't care much less about these things, but GTFO does he deserve it over Reid. In a year in which a guy takes a trainwreck franchise from 2-14 to 11-5 (12-4 if they didn't rest starters or get screwed by the refs), he's beaten out by ... Ron Rivera? Please. If you don't give it to Reid for the turnaround, then give it to the guy coaching the best team (Carroll) or the best coach (Belichick).
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
    I'm sure the way both teams, Panthers and Chiefs, finished the season was the difference. One was 2-5 and the other 11-1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    How many winning teams have the Chiefs beat this year?
    No joke. Textbook example of a paper tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by MKHawk View Post
    Oh, and I guess we should get ready for Richmond Webb to make the Hall of Fame next year, since Walter Jones is in, right dead meadow?
    LOL. Never gets old.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234