Thread: Mock Offseason

Mock Offseason

Well, we don't get much traffic around here these days, but I thought I might as well post my moves in the usual KFFL Mock Offseason. Nothing much so far, early days:

Restructured Eric Berry (chops base salary in half - hope they get his cap number down IRL too)

Cut Chase Daniel, Dunta Robinson and Succop. 90% of base salary saved in all cases. Daniel's simply overpaid, and I'll find a cheaper backup without losing sleep. Robinson and Succop just suck and I'll be happy to source cheaper, better replacements.

That gives me just over $14m in cap space. I'll be tagging-and-trading Albert, and there's no scope to sign your own FAs, so I'll be attacking the FA market with that space. I won't be able to land a premier, $10m-per-year FA, but that's fine, I guess. They'll probably be overpaid, anyway. If I can get a couple starters at $3-4m per and a couple decent depth guys, I'm happy heading into the draft.

Thoughts?

All seem like solid moves. Got to make sure you'll be able to trade Albert before you Franchise him.

If you need more cap room, I believe Hali is getting PAAAIIDDDD
    What we've got here is failure to communicate....some men you just can't reach

Time for an update.

Traded Albert for the Bills early 3rd. Less than I'd like, but to be honest I was happy to simply get that.

Signed DL Randy Starks and WR Jeremy Maclin. Big gets, each would help their units immensely IMO. Maclin's a legit #2 in the offense, and Starks sures up some of that run D weakness and can also push the pocket.

Purely for cap savings (and this thing is obviously more fantasy than reality), I cut Colquitt. Over 4m for a punter just doesn't work; I'm hoping to replace him with Lechler for 1m. That 3m buys another starter; Maclin cost me 3m.

My current bids (allowed a max of 5) are Matt Moore (tried targetting Josh McCown but his price is getting too high) as the backup QB; Antonio Cromartie; Carl Nicks; Shane Lechler; and Steven Hauschka. If I could land those guys, I'd be absolutely stoked. The only disappointment would be in not getting a TE but there's not much out there and I won't overpay scrubs. Safety's a big hole but there's still some guys I can target later. We need a legit dynamic receiver, perhaps I can get one in the draft. But the OL should be solid with Nicks, and Hauschka is a HUGE improvement over Succop.

Needs list (not counting current leading bids):

Backup QB
    Receiving TE
    OG
    ILB
    CB
    FS
    K
    P

Well, this is basically a blog at this point, and I've been strapped for time, but nevertheless:

Maclin's bid was "matched" (a concept of being able to retain FAs in this mock), so I quickly turned that money around and spent it on Antonio Cromartie. He's long been an inconsistent player, but he can dominate, would fit the scheme and shouldn't need to be the only guy on an island. I also signed Wade Smith at a bargain price for a guard of his quality (that we foolishy let go a few years back, remember?). That takes OG off the needs list, at least as any kind of priority.

I landed Lechler and Moore, while Nicks and Hauschka were way overpriced. I opted for David Akers on the veteran minimum salary and also re-signed Quintin Demps. Still open to competition at K and FS (maybe from Commings), but at least they're veteran guys.

In reality I'd have been more aggressive than I have been but FA auctions last 24 hours and I've flat-out missed some. So now we have just under $5m in cap space which allows flexibility going forward.

Clear needs:

WR (by far #1)
    ILB (only Nico Johnson here really)
    TE (dynamic receiver; who knows what Kelce will ever be)
    FS
    CB

Cromartie would be a nice signing for sure and we should be able to draft a WR in round 1. Also like the Smith signing. Unfortunately in this scenario we still have a BIG HOLE at FS unless Commings steps up and stays healthy.

I agree. Definitely a big question mark. There was very little in FA, though. Few OK starting SS types who got massively overpaid.

I have hope for Commings. And there's always the draft.

I dunno, looking back on things I may've missed a chance here or there to upgrade key spots like WR, TE or FS, but I targetted some other guys who were better values for me. Starks at 5m I thought was one of the best signings in the mock, and he'd make our front 7 that much better. By the end of the year we couldn't even sniff the QB; he'd help.

I agree about Starks. He would be a major upgrade to our line.

Alright, so it was pretty quiet for a while but now we're on to the draft. I didn't sign any more depth guys. TBH... I just can't be assed. They're #50-53 roster types anyway, and I like some young guys we have.

Onto the draft:

Traded down from #23 to #26 and picked up a late 3rd this year and 4th next year (from Buffalo, so possibly a high pick). I'm all over this one. Buffalo wanted Marquise Lee; I liked Lee a lot, but I'm not even sure I would've taken him there above a couple other guys (one namely CB Justin Gilbert).

#26 comes around, I get more interest, so I trade down to #30, picking up another late 3rd this year (from Dallas via... God knows where). Dallas wanted Timmy Jernigan who I had no interest in at all. I hoped HaHa Clinton-Dix would fall to #30 so I at least had the option between him and the other 2 targets I liked. He didn't, so I chose between WR Brandin Cooks and WR Kelvin Benjamin. One's a production monster who's short but sub 4.4. The other dwarfs him (and almost everyone else) at 6'5, 240, running a 4.5, but had inconsistent production. Considering all factors, I went with Cook. I like Benjamin's upside a little more, but in our offense and with Smith at QB, I think Cook would be a more valuable player.

Still don't have a 2nd thanks to Smith trade, but three 3rds and two 4ths gives me the ammo to move up, which I'll try to do (partly because I don't have enough free time to make five good picks in those two rounds).