The Playoff Bowl

From 1960 through 1966, the teams that finished second in the NFL East and West divisions hooked up for a "consolation" prize...3rd place. From 1967, the teams that lost the East and West Conference championship games, played for third place.

While the game didn't bring in a lot of excitement, the players on the teams earned a bonus for the game (and with the salaries at that time, bonus money was more important).

I read an article the other day about all the complaints made by members of the 49ers and Patriots after both lost their championship games. The writer, probably unfamiliar with the legacy Playoff Bowl, suggested the two teams hook up and play a 3rd place game called, "The Whiner Bowl." Quite interesting.

The legacy Playoff Bowl ended after the 1969 season when the AFL and NFL merged into one league. The AFL never had a Playoff Bowl.

The last one took place after the 1969, season, when the L.A. Rams pasted the Cowboys 31-0.

History:

January 7, 1961- Detroit Lions 17, Cleveland Browns 16
    January 6, 1962- Detroit Lions 38, Philadelphia Eagles 10
    January 6, 1963- Detroit Lions 17, Pittsburgh Steelers 10
    January 5, 1964- Green Bay Packers 43, Cleveland Browns 20
    January 4, 1965- St. Louis Cardinals 24, Green Bay Packers 17
    January 9, 1966- Baltimore Colts 35, Dallas Cowboys 3
    January 8, 1967- Baltimore Colts 20, Philadelphia Eagles 14
    January 7, 1968- Los Angeles Rams 30, Cleveland Browns 6
    January 5, 1969- Dallas Cowboys 17, Minnesota Vikings 13
    January 3, 1970- Los Angeles Rams 31, Dallas Cowboys 0
    "All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
    - Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Well, at least the Playoff Bowl was something Detroit Lions fans can brag about. They won more of them than any other team...3-0! The Browns were the worst...0-3.
    "All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
    - Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Thanks for the history lesson Jaws...I was remembering the College All Star Game where they played the Super Bowl champs...Olberman did a spot on it last night and the impending death of all All-Star games...

Thanks Iron Jaw - I didn't know about this . . . . good stuff
    My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.
    ― Ayn Rand, Anthem

I did not know that but I was thinking just the other day why not have a bowl just like that more revenue for the players and the NFL . I think players would like it .

49vs the patriots this weekend is a way better watch than this pro bowl crap