Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    20,975

    Need to buy some new furniture...

    Anyone have any brands or stores they swear by? Any i should avoid? I'm leaving most of my stuff behind/selling and moving to Houston, so I'll need to buy a new couch, chair, recliner, etc...

    Thoughts or recommendations? I can go the online route, or store bought.
    There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Too Far From Home
    Posts
    6,378
    Quote Originally Posted by LGM View Post
    Anyone have any brands or stores they swear by? Any i should avoid? I'm leaving most of my stuff behind/selling and moving to Houston, so I'll need to buy a new couch, chair, recliner, etc...

    Thoughts or recommendations? I can go the online route, or store bought.

    Costco is having their furniture season. Got some cool stuff.

    Good luck in Houston.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Surfing on a ripple of evil.
    Posts
    18,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Godstree View Post
    Costco is having their furniture season. Got some cool stuff.

    Good luck in Houston.
    My neighbor bought some furniture from Costco. He didn't own a truck so he rented one from Home Depot. He had help from Costco employees loading the truck, but was on his own unloading and setting up his new stuff. All us neighbors came out to help at that point. Didn't even get mushroom pizza. Hey! I'm not allergic.

    The furniture looked to be pretty nice. Sectional with ottoman and a real heavy wine bar
    As smart as the internet

    We're all Bozo's on this bus.~FST

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The peanut gallery....
    Posts
    38,393
    For furniture, I don't shop by brand name...I just sit in em'....and if they feel strong, sturdy, and comfortable...then I check the price tag...and if no heart attack...then I buy it...

    G'luck....and yeah...if I ever move again I am doing the sell/buy routine.....moving **** is a hassle....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The peanut gallery....
    Posts
    38,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    My neighbor bought some furniture from Costco. He didn't own a truck so he rented one from Home Depot. He had help from Costco employees loading the truck, but was on his own unloading and setting up his new stuff. All us neighbors came out to help at that point. Didn't even get mushroom pizza. Hey! I'm not allergic.

    The furniture looked to be pretty nice. Sectional with ottoman and a real heavy wine bar
    Mushroom pizza is the going rate for helping friends move? Why mushroom? Not, say...pepperoni?
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Surfing on a ripple of evil.
    Posts
    18,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    Mushroom pizza is the going rate for helping friends move? Why mushroom? Not, say...pepperoni?
    Play off a fear of missing hockey commercial
    As smart as the internet

    We're all Bozo's on this bus.~FST

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    20,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    For furniture, I don't shop by brand name...I just sit in em'....and if they feel strong, sturdy, and comfortable...then I check the price tag...and if no heart attack...then I buy it...

    G'luck....and yeah...if I ever move again I am doing the sell/buy routine.....moving **** is a hassle....
    This is normally what I do as well, but with all the places in Houston to shop, I was hoping for some ideas on brands or stores that folks have been happy with.

    Didn't think about costco though; will have to check it out.
    There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The peanut gallery....
    Posts
    38,393
    Quote Originally Posted by LGM View Post
    This is normally what I do as well, but with all the places in Houston to shop, I was hoping for some ideas on brands or stores that folks have been happy with.

    Didn't think about costco though; will have to check it out.
    I'd start with finding out where the "furniture row" is in Houston...and just shop there...and when you can't find ****...(90% of the time you never find what you need furniture shopping, but the walking around and trying out stuff gives you ideas)....start looking online or visiting smaller mom and pop furniture stores and look at their catalogs...those catalogs are still better than the internet...all pictures and you can leaf thru them a lot faster than a website...

    You can go to a place like Crate and Barrell or Pottery Barn....and custom order the fabric...wifey likes Pottery Barn **** because of the slip cover styles they have....easy to wash, but they are kinda huge... Then there's always Ashley's... the department stores....etc....but I have bought more furniture from second hand stores , craigslist, and mom n' pop stores in my life....gotten a few good damn deals...my current dining table is a heavy wooden Spanish table with 8 leather backed wooden chairs...we got it for 1K cash delivered off craigslist because the people who were moving NEEDED TO GET RID OF IT. I only helped the dude unload it into my garage....then later me and a friend almost killed ourselves moving it into my house....heavy mofo table. This table is like the tables in the stores that retail for ~2-4K with the side chairs at $225 a pop...end chairs being $450 a pop.... That's the best deal I ever got....that our our tan corduroy couch which we got for $300 off craigslist...****...I drove over there so fast to pick it up..and the guy selling it told his wife that it was being sold for $300...and his wife started to say something....I handed over the cash, loaded it, and drove off so fast.... a couch like that retailed for $900 then...and wasn't even used at all...looked like nobody never sat on it (as far as I know)...again craigslist....

    Depends on your pad as well...and how long you want to shop for...if you need **** quick...then go to the retail stores....but if you have time and cash....shop around on CL....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Grand Rapids MI
    Posts
    5,617
    Last time I went furniture shopping I got thrown out of a store. And the wife was so pissed/embarrassed she wouldn't talk to me for 3 days.

    Went to a nice high end place to look around. Told the seagull that came to make a commission that we were just looking. She insisted on walking with us to "show us some of t he features". The next half hour went like this "Oh, this is a really nice one. It has 3 seats (separate cushions) and square arms." "Oh that one is really nice it has 2 seats and rounded arms. Oh and this one is really nice. It has 3 seats and rounded arms." This went on for a half an hour. Every couch we passed was "really nice" and then she would tell us if there were w cushions or three, and rather the arms were squared or rounded. Literally did not have any information beyond two or three cushions and the shape of the arms. I'm not really an interior decorator or anything, but even I can count to two and even three. I am also able to tell the difference between square and round.

    So as we came up to a next Couch I caught my wife's eye, and in the exact same tone of voice as the lady said; "Oh, that one is really nice. It looks like it has three seats and square arms." Wife was trying not to laugh, and I really thought seagull lady would get the picture and f off. But instead she got so excited she was bouncing on her toes. She said "you like this one. Want me to see if we can get it delivered today?" For some reason that ticked me off. So I told her if I did want to buy anything I would rather give my commission to somebody who hadn't been following me around and bugging me. That I was just demonstrating for her that I could count whether there were two or three cushions.

    She went and told her manager how rude I was to her and he came and escorted us out of the building and all the way to our car. I thought it was hilarious. Wife is now ex wife, so obviously she didn't appreciate my sense of humor so much.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Grand Rapids MI
    Posts
    5,617
    Didn't somebody on here recently buy a couch from Billy Bob in the double wide?

    I think your best bet is to kind of go to a middle ground between annoying people at super high end stores and Craigslist.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.