Tomlin Mea Culpa

I grudgingly admit I was wrong in calling for his head earlier. When the MOS were in their early season tailspin I was one of those saying we needed a new HC. Seemed like a good idea at the time: the team started out listless and unprepared, we lost to terrible teams we should have beat and lost close games we should have won, the long term trend seemed more downward than up. His "blunder in Baltimore" and the threat of the potential loss/modification of a draft pick only reinforced my ire towards him. I was intrigued by potential candidates like BOB from PSU and Shaw from Stanford and what they might bring to the organization.

I still have many grievances about his coaching - most of them "in game" related - clock management, dubious decisions, apparent lack of involvement on the sidelines, etc etc but after watching the recent coaching hires and the recycling of the usual list of suspects based on lack of adequate candidates, I have come to the conclusion that the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. I'm still not a big fan but I'll cut him some slack

- at least until next year.

You're certainly right about the recent retreads hired as head coaches but you were not alone with your lack of patience during the first half of the season. The team seemed totally unprepared during much of the year and I wouldn't consider the second half surge a redemption of Tomlin's head coaching ability considering the opponents. I agree that firing him after the season would have been the wrong decision but there are some things that really bother me about Tomlin. All coaches including Belichick make some serious blunders with in game management, Tomlin's decision to give Green Bay the ball back was a serious gaff and should give the Rooney's concern. Tomlin's post game explanation still doesn't make any sense and that he would do it again has me wondering if he was just being stubborn or really believes that running the ball in crummy conditions with the chance of fumbling, getting a penalty and moving backwards or scoring and giving the ball back to the opponent with time left on the clock vs kicking what amounted to an extra point with no time on the clock and winning the game. There are other clock management and personnel decisions during his tenure that bother me. I understand that he must rely on assistant coaches for critical advise regarding players like Adams starting the season at LT but you would think that he should have had some serious misgivings like the majority of people on this board about Adam's ability to fill that role.

In his defense we all knew that some key players were getting up there but no one probably saw the play of Clark and Taylor falling off as much as it did in one year and the injuries to Foote, Pouncey and Cortez Allen's regression during the first half of the season. Not to mention the emphasis and excitement of the rookie Bell during training camp that was taken away due to injuries which took him away the first three games but actually the first six or seven during his acclimation to the pro game in a rookie season.

I don't see Tomlin going anywhere even if next season is similar to the last two considering the current transition from the old to the new but I have to believe the Rooney's will be watching closely to see if the team is moving in the right direction with serious optimism about the team's return to the playoffs in 2015. I'm guessing he has a couple years to turn the team around, if they're still floundering around 500 in two years, I'd expect a change.
    Last edited by westcoast; 01-18-2014 at 02:32 PM.

When you look at the recent firings and you see what these teams are scrambling for, it certainly makes you feel better about Mike Tomlin.
    If some of these guys are the best candidates out there, Tomlin wins by a landslide.
    Six Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers!

Quote Originally Posted by Biff97 View Post
    When you look at the recent firings and you see what these teams are scrambling for, it certainly makes you feel better about Mike Tomlin.
    If some of these guys are the best candidates out there, Tomlin wins by a landslide.
    I agree. The only one I think is an "inspired" hire is O'Brian. Everyone else is a retread. I actually think the CLowns are being smart by taking a slower more methodical approach instead of making a knee jerk, panic type hire like some other clubs appear to have done. That doesn't necessarily mean I think Cleveland will make a good choice however. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure they'll figure out some way to screw the pooch once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
    I agree. The only one I think is an "inspired" hire is O'Brian. Everyone else is a retread. I actually think the CLowns are being smart by taking a slower more methodical approach instead of making a knee jerk, panic type hire like some other clubs appear to have done. That doesn't necessarily mean I think Cleveland will make a good choice however. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure they'll figure out some way to screw the pooch once again.
    I agree that O'Brien is the only guy that strikes me of any worth.
    Let's hope the Browns continue their never-ending search for the right coach…lol
    Six Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers!

I think teams place a lot of value in having a coaching/scouting regimen in place for the senior bowl. Whether or not it's worth pulling the trigger on a subpar candidate just to have that in place is up for debate.

Zimmer in Minnesota I think could be a good hire as well.

Not sure if Cleveland is being methodical or they can't find a viable candidate who's willing to go there.