People Aren't Moving Where They Used to

"Americans are moving far less often than in the past, and when they do migrate it is typically no longer from places with low wages to places with higher wages," Tim Noah wrote in Washington Monthly. "Rather, it’s the reverse." Why America lost her wanderlust is not entirely clear—perhaps dual-earner households make long moves less likely; perhaps the Great Recession pinned underwater homeowners on their plots—but those still wandering aren't going to the right cities.

Today, the aversion to high rental costs is perhaps the most important driver of national migration. According to Atlas Van Lines' annual survey of household moves, many dense, high-income states are bleeding people, while many poorer states with plentiful land continue to add families.

Americans aren't simply moving to the states with the lowest unemployment (Oregon, Tennessee, and North Carolina all have jobless rates above the national average). More importantly, we aren't moving to states with the best records for low-income families getting ahead. In fact, we're often fleeing the best places for a upwardly mobile middle class.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...states/282969/
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

More proof that Pennsylvania is the best state in the Country. 5 of the top 12 cities. Booyah!

Also, here's the meat of this story:
    Some of America's most productive cities for medium- and low-income families—Boston, Honolulu, San Jose, New York—are also the most expensive. This is often due to (or at least, exacerbated by) exclusionary zoning and housing regulations that limit the number of available units, which drives up the price of housing,

I think most of the people moving to Mass our college kids and people who know about welfare system.
    “Here’s to alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Grimes View Post
    I think most of the people moving to Mass our college kids and people who know about welfare system.
    So people that know when to use 'our' and 'are' and people who don't. Thanks for clarifying. heh

Tennessee has one of the lowest jobless rates? Great. Nice boost to my self-esteem there.

Canadians moving to Texas....didn't CHF move there a few years back?
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    So people that know when to use 'our' and 'are' and people who don't. Thanks for clarifying. heh

Not a problem. Hope you did not waste a lot of time trying to figure it out.
    “Here’s to alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    Canadians moving to Texas....didn't CHF move there a few years back?
    No. We get monthly updates on furriners entering our count..... err, state.
    There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them.

I love articles/studies on human migration pattern, so thanks for posting it FWFW, and there are a lot of factors at play with recent trends in emigration. Weather has been a big factor impacting it for the last few decades, this is notable particularly amongst retirees but also impacts younger people who are just fed up with snowy/cold winters. I think that cost of living concerns, namely housing costs, have been a big factor since the recession as people have looked to reduce monthly expenses through decreased costs. And the availability, and quality, of jobs is also always a factor in this. So this combination drives where people move.

Ice-9 hit on at least two of those factors (weather and cost) when he decided to move from Boston to Nashville. Hell, I don’t think there is a person I know of who hasn’t at least given some thought to moving to a different city/state (even country) based upon the idea that they could buy a house with little or no mortgage, or get twice the house for the same amount as their current place. But places like North Dakota are able to overcome their huge weather negative because the availability and pay of jobs associated with the oil field is so high that it outweighs the negatives for some people.

As to why people aren't moving - I think that a lot of that has to do with homes being an anchor that prevents mobility, this affected FamineGod for some time when he was living in Michigan unemployed. Also though work mobility has been expanded due to increased reliance on the internet as a tool/requirement of business. I know a number of people who work from their home for companies based in other states, that is only going to increase IMO.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
    -Kurt Vonnegut "Mother Night"