Early 2014 QB Rankings...

1. Drew Brees - Consistently in the top 3 or 4 every year.
    2. Aaron Rodgers - Should be 100% healthy, along with all his weapons and a new found running game. This is going to be a dangerous team next season.
    3. Peyton Manning - He comes crashing back down to earth and only throws for about 4500 yards and 45 TDs.
    4. Cam Newton - His arm is becoming a weapon. His legs already are.
    5. Matt Stafford - Anyone who throws to Calvin Johnson should be top 5.
    6. Nick Foles - I think he'll throw more than 2 INTs next season, but after a full offseason with Kelly and a full season to start, this kid could be real good.
    7. Andrew Luck - Should show even more progress in year 3.
    8. Tom Brady - You would think they are going to give this guy a weapon or two in the offseason.
    9. Russell Wilson - Should have a healthy WR corps.
    10. Colin Kaepernick - A full season with a healthy Crabtree and VD. Will probably lose Boldin, though.
    11. Tony Romo - Old faithful, during the regular season.
    12. Philip Rivers - Resurected his career. Would be higher if not for so many other great QBs.
    13. Andy Dalton - Put up great regular season numbers, but can he keep it up?
    14. Ben Roethlisberger - May lose a weapon or two in Sanders and/or Miller.
    15. Alex Smith - This offense is coming on strong and with his dink and dunk style, Jamal Charles could make him a stud next season catching screen passes.
    As cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round, and if your bottle's empty help yourself to mine, thank you for your time and here's to life.

Don't have my list in front of me (that I made week 16 after my teams failed), but yours looks pretty good.

Three points:

I expect Ben to add a target or two, not lose them. Sanders is meh and Miller used to be a prime target, but isn't a real threat anymore. I see them taking one of the top TEs. He played very well at the end of the year. He moves up your list. In the Brady-Wilson area.

Rivers loses Whisenhunt. Maybe Whisenhunt tuned him up and that will continue without him, but he lost him nonetheless and wasn't good the couple years before Whisenhunt worked with him. Added risk.

Alex Smith and that entire passing game is going to progress. They'll add more talent and they all will be a year better in that system. I don't know if that really moves him up your list that much, but today looking at what coule be, he could sniff the top 10.

And your three omissions Eli, Cutler, Ryan are glaring. Cutler with Trestman and those WRs, I like that. Eli in a new offensive system, I like that. Ryan should have some healthy WRs going into next year, but maybe loses Tony G. I guess he's not as big an omission as the others.

I did forget Matt Ryan, who I'd put up there in the 8 to 10 range. I agree that Cutler should have made the bottom of the list. I was bouncing him and Smith back and forth, but his injury history scares me a bit. Eli has just fallen.
    As cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round, and if your bottle's empty help yourself to mine, thank you for your time and here's to life.

And Rivers did keep Frank Reich, who got (or is about to be) promoted to OC, from what I hear. I agree that Wisenhunt should get more of the glory for River's resurgence, but you can't leave out Reich completely.

Quote Originally Posted by femurov View Post
    And Rivers did keep Frank Reich, who got (or is about to be) promoted to OC, from what I hear. I agree that Wisenhunt should get more of the glory for River's resurgence, but you can't leave out Reich completely.
    That's good. I didn't really consider that. And you're right, they can probably carry on where they left off.

Eli was just playing in a mess of a situation. He definitely lost focus and his system staled. I think bringing in a new OC fixes both of those. He's always top 10 in touchdowns. Last year was an anomaly.

Nick Foles is way too high IMO.

Sure the potential for a big season but he had way too small of a sample size IMO to place that high. And he had the easiest schedule possibly in the entire history of fantasy football for a QB's. That isn't going to happen again. And teams will now have a full season of Kelly's offense to study. People like to act like NFL coaches are smart but they really aren't. It takes them a good year to figure things out most of the time.

There is way too much potential for Foles to be the next fantasy football Derrick Anderson IMO to place that high.

My list would be somewhat similar only I would drop Foles from #6 to #11 and move everyone else up one. I hope others rate Foles as high as you do come draft day.
    Last edited by ducky; 01-20-2014 at 07:48 PM.

* And just before we get to the SB and everyone else is doing it too: Russell Wilson is a smidge too low. Kid is about to emerege as a star. And I think Seattle will open up the offense to reflect it a little more next season.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    * And just before we get to the SB and everyone else is doing it too: Russell Wilson is a smidge too low. Kid is about to emerege as a star. And I think Seattle will open up the offense to reflect it a little more next season.
    That's what they said last season about this one. It didn't happen. If they come out guns blazing in the Super Bowl maybe he can roll it over, but as it stands now defenses caught up with him more than he caught up with defenses. He didn't finish strong.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    There is way too much potential for Foles to be the next fantasy football Derrick Anderson IMO to place that high.
    I didn't realize they were both in their 2nd year and 24 years old for those seasons. But here's where there are huge differences about the ability of each of these guys moving forward from their 1st season starting. 64% completions for Foles. 56.5% for Anderson. Anderson threw 19 interceptions. Foles threw 2. So Anderson was more hit or miss on every play and they had to change his game to try to avoid the interceptions. Foles has a much stronger foundation to build from no matter what defenses come up with for Kelly's offense.

Also, digging a little deeper... Andersons last 5 games of that season were pretty poor. He was already showing signs of performance decay. 7:8 TD:INT. 50s completion percentages. Not like Foles who's last play was a game winning TD drive in the playoffs with 3 minutes left.
    Last edited by eaglesnut; 01-20-2014 at 08:56 PM.

I was more trying to compare Anderson the fantasy football player to Foles the fantasy football player.

If people remember, the year after his one big season fantasy people had Anderson rated way too high.

Their NFL careers will be a lot different. But I think it is the same fantasy mistake to take a relatively unproven QB like Foles early over some of those other named and proven QB's. More upside? Sure. But a big risk IMO.

Their NFL careers are going to be different but I think the fantasy disappointment for people who take Foles early next year will be similar.