Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mike Zimmer...

I am happy with Zimmer as HC and Turner as the new OC but I am very disappointed that both of them are intent on hiring their sons as assistants. It has been reported that Zimmer wants to hire his son as either the DB or LB coach and that Turner wants his son as QB coach. I have no ax to grind with the sons, but if they are really good coaches, let them prove it on their own and not depend on their dad's largesse.

i like the Norv hire. he's always gets the most out of what he has, even with mediocre or worse QBs. Cassel, with a decent play-caller (and inferior receiving options to what the Vikings have), put up 27 TDs to 4 INTs in 4 games with Charlie Weis calling plays back in 2010 (the other 2 games he played that year with T. Haley calling plays, he had 0 TDs and 6 INTs with tons of sacks taken).

anyway, even if you don't have Cassel or Ponder or Freeman at QB, you have a top RB, very nice TE, a in improving WR corps with a couple young guys ready to prove themselves. Norv took the pitiful Browns offense, with nobody at QB, nobody at RB, an unknown (at that point) TE, a mixed bag at WR, and made their offense somewhat relevant.

I'm sure Cassel will be back, no one else is going to give him a starting gig, or at least no one with as much offensive talent. The downfield passing game should be a good fit for him, as well.

Vikes need to take a QB in the 2nd and 3rd or 4th IMO.

i agree, he needs to resign himself as a backup the rest of his days. with Norv, he could have some success until the QBOTF is up to speed (or even found).

Quote Originally Posted by BERN View Post
    I have no ax to grind with the sons, but if they are really good coaches, let them prove it on their own and not depend on their dad's largesse.
    Zimmer's son has been an assitant NFL positional coach for 8 years now and has a ring when he was on the New Orlean Saint's SB winner when he was assitant LB's coach under Gregg Williams.

....be really interesting what he has to say about bountygate when a MN reporter finally puts 2 + 2 together.

I think he has earned his stripes for the most part. As much as most NFL coaches anyways (a terribly inbred profession whether it involves blood relations or just friends).

How's everyone doing?

I LOVE the Zimmer/Turner Hire. We're done with the good-ol-boy Frazier mantra and we now have a REAL HC!

No more..... "We have to look at the tape" and "Ponder gives us the best chance to win"

And who's speculating on the hiring of their sons....? really???? Are you assuming these "sons" have never coached before? Sometimes I just don't 'get' people.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123