Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Deangelo Williams is NOT a good RB. I dont even know if he ever was even above average.

You cant just judge a RB by the numbers. If Williams had run the ball against the fronts that Peterson has seen in his career, he doesn't even sport a 3.5 yard career average IMO. While Peterson, if had run his whole career and got the type of blocking and fronts that Williams has seen, would have even better numbers.

Carolina was a really good running team when Williams entered the league. Otah was a monster until his career got derailed by injuries and the wham system they used under Fox initially was opeing up gigantic holes. Then the OL started going downhill and teams caught onto Fox's running system and Williams numbers went way downhill as a result. And then he got a 2nd breath of life when Newton came into the league and team's struggle to defend Carolina's dual threat. If peterson would have been in Carolina both those years the results would have been record breaking IMO.

The running QB like Newton opens up lanes for the RB like nothing we have seen in the NFL. I have been waiting for a pairing of a great running QB with a great RB really ever since Vick came into the league and realized what it did for a RB. We saw glimpses of it with McCoy and Vick for a couple stretches at a time but never really got an extended look at it. A Peterson-Newton pairing would blow even that out of the water. It would be an offnese that would set a lot of records and could really change the league IMO.
    I don't follow you at all. I have no idea what you are smoking, but I think I want some. Imagination land is fun. I'll give you that.

Jeff Otah was drafted 2 years after Deangelo. Deangelo was a 1st round pick RB as talented as any of the non-Peterson 1st round RBs. He's displayed it in the league throughout his career, but he's 30 now and hence declining. A conservative Cam Newton lead offense isn't setting any scoring records.

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    Well luckily for your Vikings you aren't their GM because that sort of thinking is how teams never succeed. How many big trades for non-QBs have EVER succeeded?

You are WILDLY overstating the value of a RB. Furthermore the Panthers D was nearly as good last year as it was this year.

Harvin is 24 years old. His injury concerns are notable but he isn't coming up on an age plateau that virtually no running back overcomes. No WAY Peterson has 4 more years of high level football left in him.
    Carolina went from 18th to 2nd in scoring defense.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Ducky's dead on Deangelo IMO
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Norv to Minnesota as OC.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789